protein/food combination question

Discussion in 'So you want to be a Vegetarian?' started by sea of grass, Nov 22, 2009.

1. sea of grass

sea of grass Member

So I have a ton of dried beans and dry, whole grains at my disposal in my pantry right now, and of course from my general nutritional knowledge, I know you can combine legumes and grains to make a complete protein. I'm currently on a muscle building program at the moment and have to eat a certain amount of protein per day to actually gain muscle. I am living on kind of a monk-like budget at the moment so once my whey protein is gone I'm just going to get most of my protein from the grains and beans until there's a decent dent in that staple supply (I have access to cheap/free veggies as well as a good stock of spices and such in my kitchen). Where I get confused is how to count grams of protein when you're combining the foods. I can look up the protein content of a certain amount of grains or beans separately, but what I'm having trouble finding is how to count the collective grams of actual, complete protein of the two combined. Anyone know? :) Any advice re: making complete proteins from plant foods and counting the collective, complete grams is highly appreciated. Thanks guys! :eek:

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'm in the combining doesn't matter camp.
    I believe the confusion started with Frances Moore Lappe's FIRST edition of Diet for a Small Planet, where she was trying to replicate egg protein, which is the easiest animal protein for humans to digest.

If, in a given week or so, an adequate amount of bean and grain proteins are eaten, the body uptakes it all.

I'd go with adding the two numbers for your figures.

3. DazedGypsy

DazedGypsy fire

it's been proven you don't have to combine, all of that is bs

oops just saw this is an old thread sory