Propagandists At Work

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by roamy, May 4, 2013.

1. roamy

roamy Senior Member

One of the most common types of propaganda is political,but what of general propagada carried out by individuals? what is it that makes them resort to such measures?

2. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

all propaganda is political, do you mean people who only present one side of an argument? people do that for all sorts of reasons, generally they don't see themselves as misrepresenting the truth, they just fail to see anything apart from their own subjective viewpoint of it.

we're all guilty of that.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Not all propaganda is political, advertising and "brand name recognition" is largely propaganda.

4. autophobe2e

if propaganda is information presented in such a way as to promote a position or stance, then i guess you could argue that advertising presents the stance "you should buy our shit", but brand recognition is basically just to make people aware of the existence of a product, rather than actively promoting a viewpoint, its more about presence than argument, isn't it?

5. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Some people are unwitting tools of a political group or organization, whereas some are truly passionate about what they believe. Some people simply want to placate their egos by promoting a viewpoint that is inline with an image they want to portray.

I think the most dangerous propaganda is that which doesn't immediately come across as such. The media and government work with think tanks and NGOs that have studied mass psychology and have the art of propaganda down to a science. They then use this knowledge of mass psychology to manipulate vast numbers of people via numerous outlets. They also have a motive that is far more dangerous than that of some idiot shouting on the street trying to get people to believe what he does.

I don't worry about the propaganda of individuals, because they don't have the means of influencing tens of millions of people, unlike the government and its lapdog media.

6. autophobe2e

i agree, the post ww2 demonisation of the term was an extremely bad thing in the long run.

7. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

religious propaganda seems to be wide spread these days.

8. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Propaganda is free speech....

we live in a marketplace of ideas.. and that which does not hold-up to scrutiny can be set aside.

Should individuals engage in propaganda ? What the cost?

Should government spend the citizens tax ?..........shame.

9. roamy

roamy Senior Member

what are all the other all sorts of reasons,do you think ?can you give me some examples .

10. autophobe2e

if i was arguing and only presented one side of the argument, it would probably be either because i was trying to deliberately mislead you in order to convince you to adopt a particular stance or attitude. i could want to do that for any number of reasons. maybe i want your money or your sympathy, could be anything.

or, the other option, because the limitations of my subjective viewpoint on an issue would prevent me from seeing both sides of the issue.

for example, say if i was rabidly pro-choice trying to convince you to be pro-choice, i could rally all the pro arguments that i could, but my passion about the issue would prevent me from seeing both sides of the argument, so i would only be able to present you with one side of the argument, my own.

11. roamy

roamy Senior Member

they are good examples thank you.

12. roamy

roamy Senior Member

i agree.the media are the biggest propagandists.but what i find a lot more concerning is how easily a huge majority of people worldwide are brainwashed by them.how they don't see through the bull.

13. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

You mean the propaganda of sociopaths, as an example?

Some people resort to this because their lives are unfulfilled. Its like a losers sport for them. I knew someone like that. He'd always bad mouth others, trying to be the "main man", and I'd just think "who the fuck is he to bad mouth others". So one day I just chopped him down to size. He was basically in tears with rage, as people laughed at him.

Really nasty, horrible person..

14. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

What kind of media do you guys think promotes propaganda?

I thought different types of media could be a tool of propagandists, not all media being a primary source.

For example: A poster is a type of media that could be used to promote a circus, or it could be used to promote patriotism. The first example would not be propaganda, the second would.

There is social media, print media, digital, etc.
    Is anyone saying that one type of media is specific to propaganda, or that one type of media presents nothing but propaganda?

15. roamy

roamy Senior Member

why were people laughing at him ?