Promised Cheque after being Fired

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Idle_Billy, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Idle_Billy

Idle_Billy Banned

It has not yet come and it has been since the end of August. After how badly I was treated by them this is really pissing me off. I don't want to have to get onto the person who fired me and have to beg for the cheque. I've a strong feeling that she never intended to send it. It's got nothing to do with the money at this stage.

See attached email of promise.

Attachment removed

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Well that is something you will have to do .

If after speaking to her and your not getting any satisfaction , then you can seek assistance from ACAS assuming that your in the UK .

I would also check your terms of employment as well as some companies require you to work a week in advance and therefore you could be owed this as well . Also check your holiday entitlement as untaken holidays will also be owed .

Whilst speaking to ACAS you may want to check with them that the reason you were fired was lawful and that the company went through all the correct procedures.

3. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

I once had the same situation. I dealt with it by making a scene in the lobby which resulted in a cheque being produced rather quickly. Seems they didn't want the customers there to know about their illegal malfeasance.

In the US there are legal ways to deal with it also.

Asmodean likes this.
  4. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

Are you in the UK?

ZenKarma and Mysteron like this.
  5. Captain Scarlet

I had to guess that he is in the way he spelt "Cheque" . In the US they are "Checks "

Candy Gal likes this.
  6. Captain Scarlet

Just to add. If he is in a trade union then they should be his first port of call. They would normally deal with everything on his behalf.

Candy Gal likes this.
  7. Candy Gal

CAB also has free solicitors.
    We will wait for his return.

8. Idle_Billy

Idle_Billy Banned

Ireland

9. Idle_Billy

Idle_Billy Banned

Well they fired me without grounds and after having spoken with a solicitor there was certainly nothing I could do about that as I was only there 6 days before they fired me.

10. Idle_Billy

Idle_Billy Banned

Candy Gal likes this.
  11. Candy Gal

12. Candy Gal

Unsure of your Laws.
    I will see if I can ask my Barrister friend.

13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i kind of want to slap her just for the wording of that email. it reads like an uneducated person trying desperately to sound professional.

14. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I agree and it’s totally unnecessary.

Whenever I want to communicate with my underlings, I simply refer to my hundreds of pre-written memos, notes, and letters for every occasion.
    They’re professionally written and formatted and with just a few changes, voila – the finished product.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

16. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Members

I’m unfamiliar with British labor laws but in the US they are very specific.

You only worked six days. Based on US law you’re only entitled to get paid for the hours worked unless there’s a specific contract mandating otherwise. Even if you had a union job in the US you’d pretty much be fucked because unions have probationary periods where you can be fired without cause. I was IBEW for 7 years and we had a 180 day probationary period. There was no recourse if terminated with that time period.

Union contracts override federal labor laws, so I found out firsthand I have better job protections as a non-union worker than as a union worker. I get paid better too, leaving the union (at top pay) resulted in a rather large pay raise, better working conditions, and more holidays because IBEW negotiated away Veterans Day and Presidents Day. I also get more vacation days.

But that’s the US. I can’t speak to British laws. But you were only there for 6 days for crying out loud. For whatever reason you weren’t a good fit for their organization. Walk away and get on with your life. It appears you didn’t make a positive impression.

17. quark

quark Parts Unknown

I must be retarded, because I have no idea what the fuck she was talking about.

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It has something to do with a cheque

19. Idle_Billy

Idle_Billy Banned

It arrived in the post today. But only because I recently emailed the CEO about her. I hope I got her into trouble!

Candy Gal likes this.
  20. Candy Gal

Good for you.

Idle_Billy likes this.