Professional Piercer

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by TiedyeDreams, Feb 9, 2009.

1. TiedyeDreams

TiedyeDreams Member

Okay, so I have decided that I want to be a professional piercer. That's what I want to do with my life and I'm satisfied with my decision. The only thing is, I've looked through and I know what it takes to become one, you know, learning all that shit, becoming an apprentice and stuff...I really want to get a hardcopy of the procedure manual from the APP, it's just so fucking expensive.

I've looked through ebay and amazon and Barnes and Noble. I can't find the manual anywhere else. I just wandering if anyone knew anything about where I could obtain one of them or something along those lines that would help me move me closer to learning all the things I need to in order to become an apprentice.

Any advice or knowledge is welcomed!
    Thanks,
    Gaia

2. sarahrei

sarahrei ~Lover~

I've never seen one anywhere else other than the APP website.

3. TiedyeDreams

TiedyeDreams Member

that's what I was afraid of... Thanks though

4. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie Member

Wow, 16 and you got your career picked out already? Cool, cool. Good luck with everything :]

5. TiedyeDreams

TiedyeDreams Member

6. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

How much do piercers make? I know it's not about the money always, but I was just curious.

In the case of the book. Do you have to have THAT book? If so then I guess you will have to buy it. Maybe you can go to your local shop and talk to them. They may give you the book to study!

7. beautifulwarrior

beautifulwarrior Member

Dixie APP is pretty much THE standard in the industry. OP should definitely talk to her local shop about apprenticeships.

8. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie Member

A piercer can charge from 40 to 60 dollars for a piercing

9. sarahrei

sarahrei ~Lover~

I have two friends that are piercers, both are under 40 both outright own their homes. It's really good money during the summer, not so bad in the winter.

10. TiedyeDreams

TiedyeDreams Member

I'm not going to lie, money was one of the pros in choosing the job. I mean, I've always wanted to do it but making money is a pretty nice bonus. :p

I'm sure there are other books and DVDs but I haven't found any. I guess I'll have to break down buy it and quit being so cheap. haha

11. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie Member

Well, your still young so don't stress too much on getting all your learning materials ASAP. You have 2 years to study up on this stuff, and you can pratice on gullible friends (Just kidding..).

12. TiedyeDreams

TiedyeDreams Member

yeah, you're right. I just know that if I don't take some initiative now and get started, I'm the kind of person that I'll get lazy and just not doing anything that I need to. haha

13. atropine

atropine Member

Some piercers can make good money.. Ones who own their own shops may do so. Working as a piercer for a shop.. you generally wont make much more than for making coffee. Youll either work on commission where you can make a lot some days and absolutely nothing some weeks or go on wage which probaly wont be far from minimum wage, especially starting out. Most apprentices dont get paid either. Food for thought.

14. TiedyeDreams

TiedyeDreams Member

Yeah, I figured I'd go hungry a while as an apprentice. lol

But, I'm willing to not make much money. I mean, at least I'll have a job. I really want to do this, so I'm not much worried about salary. :)

15. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

Good luck even getting an apprenticeship.

I dunno about Kentucky, but up in Cleveland, it's damn near impossible to get an apprenticeship, and if you do, they're not APP certified... just some dude that decided to open up a shop.

I was thinking about it for a while, but it's just way too hard to get into.

16. sarahrei

sarahrei ~Lover~

^ true enough.

Keep in mind that every tattoo parlor probably has applicants everyday.

17. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie Member

Most parlors may only hire 'friends' anyways but if you really want to do it should that thought really hold you back? My friend wants to be a writer and statistics say that the chances of making it big in that field is very slim but he's aiming for it anyways. If you really put your mind to it you can achieve it, eventually.

18. TiedyeDreams

TiedyeDreams Member

the funny thing is, I want to be a writer as well. :p

I know it's going to be hard, but I really want to do it. I'll just have to work my ass off.

19. sarahrei

sarahrei ~Lover~

I would suggest going to the tattoo parlor that you want to work at and making friends with them. Don't make yourself annoying but go and talk shop.

20. TiedyeDreams

TiedyeDreams Member

Yeah man. You got the right idea. :p
    That's what I'm doing right now. I figured, I better make nice while there's still time. haha