Problems Getting Used To It?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by darrellkitchen, May 12, 2004.

1. darrellkitchen

darrellkitchen Lifetime Supporter

Not me. I'm loving this new look and feel of the Hip Forums ... and the features are out of this world.

I see some of you have already been playing around with it. I also see one or two have discovered the ignore feature as well. Yet, I wonder ... why was it so hard to ignore someone to begin with without the "ignore" feature? Oh well ... we all live and learn.

So how do you guys (and gals) like this new look?

I'm especially glad to see most everyone made it back to the new forums. You realize that the old forums are still around in case you want to go back and look at some of the old stuff. You did know that didn't you? http://www.hipforums.com/forum-95.html. Trouble is, it only goes back to the last backup on March 2.

Anyway ... I for one am glad to see the change. Change is what life is all about. Change is also the cause for suffering, sorrow, pain and lamentation, but I won't go into that least you think I'm preaching.

Metta,

Darrell
    HTML:

HTML:

HTML:

HTML:

2. AoXoMoXoA420

AoXoMoXoA420 Member

Yah dude.
    I'm with you... it was a little odd at first, but now im liking it.

not to mention that its not really going yet. it's only going to get better once skip figures out all this complicated shit... *Shrugs*

3. GoodKarma

GoodKarma Member

I agree that I am getting use to it too. I do like some of the additional features, but I find it a little ironic that there is an ignore feature when the hip forums were based on free speech. I guess that's still true because you have the right to say what you want and now you have the right to ignore who you want. Oh well...the everchanging world in which we live in...

4. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

i am getting used to it too...but i like the old forum better

5. freesue

freesue Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I like it, I just need to get use to it. I can't find alot of stuff, and I don't know what some of this new stuff is. What is this "subscription" thingy? And, where do you learn about it. Is there a learner's page somewhere on all the new stuff????;)

6. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i think they call that the faq.

7. sassure

sassure Member

Many have bemoaned the "lost" old-forum archives, so your link should go a long way towards providing some comfort.

And Skip's Amnesty was a fine gesture. We should all make "amnesty" a part of our mind-set.....

8. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

OHHHH GAWD,, THAT "IGNORE FETURE",,,AS SOMEONE HAS SAID ON HERE ALREADY,, "I NEVER IGNORE ANYONE"!!:p

I WONT COMMENT ON WHY ONE MUST HAVE A TOOL TO COPE WITH OTHERS,,, ,,,ON ACCOUNT THEY MAY NOT LIKE MY "PERSONALL OPINION"..;)

AN YES,, IM SLOWLY GETTIN IN THE GROOVE OF THIS PLACE,, BUT I MUSTASK??/

ARE WE GONNA GET OUR "PERSONALL" FORUMS BACK ANYTIME SOON??

LUVIN YOU DARRELL,,:)

PLEASE TRY AND MAKE IT AT LEAST A DAY OR 2 FOR OUR FORUMS GATHERIN???

PERTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP?//:D

9. homebudz

homebudz Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I must admit,I'm likein' this new stuff more and more.Guess it took a while for the shock to wear off.Being a old fart don't help much either.Kudo's to Skip for pulling this all together in what I would call record time,AND with a ton of new features..........................cool.Peace to all :}>

10. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Read this thread and it seems you need to let them know the name of your forum.....then it shall be added to the Personal Forums area.

http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557&page=1&pp=10

11. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

Well, I'm on a few forums and they all use this same program. So, this is old hat to me.

However, I did like the "different" format of the old forum. It had a lot of charm...

But, yes, change is good. Change is a must, in this world...

12. imhip

imhip Member

[​IMG]

Maybe it’s just these tired old eyes…

Or maybe it’s my more than 30 years graphic design experience….

But my true opinion regarding the aesthetics of this site is….

YUK!

Too sweet, too much candy, too many icons, links, options, bells, whistles, door knobs and hammer handles.

I’m sure the kiddies love it – and more power to them. It’s about time to pass the baton anyway. But for Bejesus sakes… what does all this ribbon candy, Mike & Ikes, colored Chiclets, rainbow jelly beans, purples, blues, syrup and sauce – have to do with the hippy or 60’s style?

Where’s the bleeding madras? Paisley? Mind salad?

I stop buy here once in a while, but my sweet tooth starts throbbing and I have to move along.

Speaking my peace,

imhip

13. teepi

teepi living my dream

HEEEEEEY imhip,

Regarding your last post...I'm Hip.

miss the laid back coolness of our old place....I don't care what they say..change is NOT always good.

Guess it's the "old Hippie" in me.

I noticed your not around much and I miss you, but then neither am I,

Teepi

14. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

Back in the 60s you guys were progressive. It was about mind-expansion, learning about the Universe, changing the status quo, the old ways weren't acceptable anymore... What happened??? Now y'all are fearing change, fighting it even. You've become your parents... I'm sad for you...

15. Charlotte

Charlotte Member

We won. We got what we wanted and got rid of what we didn't. You don't realize how much shit we had to go through that you didn't because of us.

16. teepi

teepi living my dream

As a youngin' I wasn'y all that progressive, actually the opposite, My favorite place that I ever was, the communal land at EPP in vermont, we lived in tipi's, cabins,primitive leanto's and underground houses, we bathed in the river, had a communal kitchen and all had a very basic lifestyle.
    There were things that needed changing...views about peace and the war, but it wasn't a progressive change,peace and getting along go back to a much earlier time.
    The people I was around, in Vermont, NYC, upstate NY, and Venice beach Calif.
    were all into a more laid back, slow down and smell the roses type of lifestyle, not a join the establishment, join the rat race gotta keep up with whomever... "progressive" lifestyle.

I found my old sweetheart from my younger days, bought land, built a cabin way out in the woods, dug a well, built a sauna,smoke some dope, have bonfires in the yard, make my own beer,grow a bunch of my own food, play my music way too loud.....list could go on....

BUT I HAVE NEVER "turned" into my sorry excuse for a parent.

This life works for me and I would never say anyone had to change their peaceful laid back way of life for fear of selling out.

If it works for you then thats the way to go...screw a bunch of "change".

Along with the so called "changes" in this society have come a total disregard for Quality...in products, service and morality, people have sped away from things important, their so caught up in "keeping up", kids are killed for their tennis shoes.

I hate going into the city and hearing all the sirens, smelling all the pollution, worrying about the crime.

Where has "progress" gotten us???

If we really wanted to progress we would have to go back in time, to simpler things,thats where true progress would lead us,one example would be to get off the grid and harness wind and sun power, simple, doesn't sound too "technically PC" but true.
    Would our parents have gone along with that???
    The proof is out there, how many wind generators do you see??

No our "progressive" goverment has kept us dependent on these 3rd world countries for years and is all coming back to haunt us.

Being progressive in some areas may be helpful but along with that comes higher costs for eveyone, many people can't afford healthcare because of the high costs of medical equipment, many doctors can't afford their own malpractice insurance because our "progressive" society has become so greedy and sue-happy.

YEP, if this is progress I want no part of it, hell, every time Larry and I progress out here and build another room onto our cabin the sons a bitches slap more tax on us,
    progress my ass.

I think everyone needs some time off from being caught up in it.

"Slow down,you move too fast,ya gotta make the morning last".

17. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I can't speak for others, but I KNOW I haven't become my parents.

Besides, AutumnAuburn, this is just a website; to many, a diversion. Perspective, please?;)

18. imhip

imhip Member

^Myself, I'm neither afraid (fearing) or have I become my parents (despite how wonderful they were).

And, FYI, this new layout IS status quo. It is a "design in a can". It's unoriginal, gaudy, and very much like thousands of other "dime a dozen" bubble gum sites on the web.

So, with that in mind.... I suggest it would actually be more "progressive" (to use your term) to create a uniquie Hip Forum environment. Oh.... darn it, that's right.... the original Hip Forum was UNIQUE!

In other words, your argument is all wet.

I also suggest that many of the ppl embracing this new layout do so out of loyalty to the Hip Forums. Therefore, have a tough time being critical.

Believe me, I take my hat off to Skip and the rest of the crew busting their asses to make this a great place. And it is! But I don't have to pretend I love the new layout.

Not to be critical would be hypocritical.

Oh, and please, don't be sad for me.

imhip

19. teepi

teepi living my dream

How true imhip, I was asked and i answered.

Just got off on that rant I get on when someone questions my motives for BEING.

I love that Skip has done this for all of us and i will certainly continue to be a supporter.
    This place, no matter how it looks, is important.

teepi

20. imhip

imhip Member

^ That's a big 10-4, T-P !