Problem With My Religion. Help

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by WoodstockChild, Jun 2, 2006.

1. WoodstockChild

WoodstockChild Intrepid Traveler!

I've been having problems with my religion. I've been a Christian forever, but it's starting to grow like a burden more than a help. If I'm being bluntly honest, It's the rules I can't stand. It's like a book of do's and don'ts. I want to be a rock star when I'm older, and I want to be able to live how I want, not how a church wants me to live. "I wanna rock 'n roll all night, party everyday". Sue me. That basically contradicts the whole religion, but I'm not going to lie and pretend like that's not what I'm going to do. I don't understand how anyone can live the way the Bible wants you to live, or who would want to try to be perfect. It's boring.
    But I still believe in God strongly.
    It's also the Heaven and Hell concept. According to the Bible, John Lennon is in Hell. That is quite hypocritical if you consider why they say so. Because he was a different religion than some people? If you aren't part of a certain religion, you go to hell? Is that really something I want to be a part of?
    But I still believe in God strongly.
    Heaven, as well. I'm going to have the courage to say this: it sounds boring. Yes, boring. Who wants to live in a perfect world? If everything is perfect, then how do you appreciate anything? I would much rather party all night than sit on a cloud playing the harp. I mean, to me, heaven would be staying in Woodstock for an eternity, but that wouldn't be "accepted" by God because it was quote "sinful". I hate that word.
    Lastly, it's what the established religion has turned into. We all know the people who burn Harry Potter books, send out fliers about why we shouldn't celebrate Halloween, have thirteen year old girls who watch Veggie Tales and say it's evil to date, as if someone is just going to pop out off the sky and marry you without even knowing you. Those people make me want to bang my head into a wall
    What do I do? I'm scared that if I live the way I want to I'll go to Hell. I was taght that, at least. Because I believe in the God they speak of, just not the established religion. Is that possible?

2. all_rhodesian_reject

all_rhodesian_reject Sonskyn Elvis

Go find somebody who knows a hell of a lot about christianity, i suggest a vicar...

This is the worst possible place to vent frustrations with a mainstream religion.

And Christianity is anything but a series of "do's and don'ts" I seriously suggest you seek some spiritual guidance outside of an online forum.:)

Hahaha I just re read your post, WOW, you don't seem to have any grasp of your religion whatsoever, go and talk to someone!!!

3. jean_genie

jean_genie psychedelic saturday

believing in God doesnt mean you have to be a christian, if youre still believe and have faith then i believe that thats the only thing that matters, you have faith in and love your god. The Bible is for Christians, so dont be a Christian, its entirely up to you, God gave man free will so that we could do as we please, my advice is to live your life however you want, to enjoy yourself and have a good time, and be a kind person.

I am one of those utterly non-christian people, i cant stand the corporation that the church is, especially the catholic one. But i am spiritual, so its really down to your interpretation and feelings.

4. Dr Phibes

Dr Phibes Banned

Hey nice one - I love being quoted - but its out of context so
    read it in context and you will understand the irony
    - incase you dont know what irony is
    google it

5. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

you can be Christian
    without so much insanity...
    look into unitarian churches, there are a lot of Christian sects that are faaaaar more open than what you described
    (hell, one here spends a couple months every few years discussing other religions and what folks can learn from 'em, has a lesbian pastor some of hte time... yeah, more into the love thy neighbour stuff than the don't do x stuff)

6. WoodstockChild

WoodstockChild Intrepid Traveler!

Yes, Catholicism is scary.

7. all_rhodesian_reject

all_rhodesian_reject Sonskyn Elvis

Dr Phibes, I read it in context and it amused me greatly :D

8. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Banned

Know noh God, itz all Kharmah. U R what Uh believe U iz.

9. Politics are awesome

Politics are awesome Politics suck

You say you believe in God.... if you don't want to feel guilty about what you want to do, then don't do it. Shouldn't the love of God be more important than personal longings?

10. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Banned

vuk god

11. gate68

gate68 Senior Member

Isn't vuking god a religion in itself?

12. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Banned

maybe it iz your way.

13. xazzer

xazzer Member

I suggest that the original poster read some more about religion of various forms that might be more in keeping with his dispositions. Try looking into the mystical side of various world religions. It's very interesting that every major branch of religion has esoteric and mystical traditions that all basically say the same thing... Mystical Christianity, Mystical Islam (Sufism), Mystical Judaism (Kaballah), and the mystical forms of Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism...all say the same thing, in a way. It's a less dogmatic form of religion, and its about finding God/the way/the ultimate reality, whatever you may call it, experientially. Becoming one with the universe. Less concerned with following artificial rules and empty dogma, less focused on nonsense like "being in the right club so you can get into heaven." More about feeling the holy and sacred within for yourself, and connecting to it in your daily life, knowing real love and helping others.

If you are a Christian, start with mystical Christianity. Google around a little about Hesychasm, Jacob Boehme, "The Jesus Prayer," The Way of a Pilgrim," and other similar topics. A bit more far-out and less accepted by the mainstream churches is Gnosticism, an ancient form of mystical Christianity that flourished in the first few centuries after Christ.

If you want to learn about how other cultures approach the mystical, a good first stop is the Eastern religions. Zen Buddhism is simple and elegant, a very pure form of mysticism. Read the "Tao te Ching" of Taoism. Tibetan Buddhism (Vajrayana) and the Vipassana tradition are also relatively accessible for westerners.

There is a Zen saying, "many paths, one mountain." I believe all these people from different times and places are saying the same thing, using different paths to scale the same mountain. It's a great human adventure to find the Holy within, to feel for yourself the joy and sacredness of being part of this beautiful (yet often painful) cosmos. Happy exploring!

14. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Banned

yeh an groove yoh, your, Hairz.

15. gate68

gate68 Senior Member

the only way to truth is to look inside.Don't try to find a religion that suits your needs.It won't be any more real then any of the others.Be your own reality.Don't listen to the hype.Be your own god..

16. Dr Phibes

Dr Phibes Banned

LMAO
    Have any of you people read the original post ????
    I think you have been well and truly HAD !!!!!!!

17. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

A few book in the Old Testament are books of Law. Jesus in the New Testament sums up the Law as "Love God, love your neighbour" (and I think that is in the OT as well). The majority of the epistles (which are also sometimes rule filled, but also contain some of the best "love" passages) are letter by the LAWYER Pau/Saul on how to run a Church and keep the gentile converts from turning back to paganism...Know your roots

<sarcasm> Acctually, John Lennon is never mentioned in the bible</sarcasm> And to be honest, it doesn't sound like you know that much about John Lennon like how he was a drunk, wife beater and cheated on BOTH of his wives...I love most o the guys music, but he isn't The effing Davids or anythign...

Dude, have you even read anything Jesus said. The Kindom of Heaven is with us NOW. We create it. Heaven is being in the Pressence of God's love. Love flows from God through people no matter what racem religious creed, sex or whatever. Jesus wasn't about creating a place for yourself in the afterlife ("the first shall be last") but about loving here and now...

You really need to get you head out of your ass and READ. EXPLORE. Serisouly, learn about things before you speak. Super conservative denominations and sects believe in some of those htings, but not all. Finding a Church is about finding a place where you are comfortable for community, support and spiiutal growth whether it be through common beliefs or conflicting beliefs...

Oh, and to the Roman Catholic church (I assume you mean Roman Catholic...there are other catholics you know...Anglicans are catholic, Lutherans are catholic, Orthodox christians are catholic) is one of the more inclusive churches existing today. Its doctrine allows for Salvation of people who are not Catholic or even Chriatian for that matter...

Homosexuality in and of itself is also morally neutural. Yes!!! being gay is not a sin in and of itself because it is natural nd inate in each person what sexual orientaion they are and they feel that if you are gay, it is just God calling you to celibacy (like being a eunich)...

Ao all in all, in conclusion, what I posted is MY OPINION and does not reflect any sort of atempt to change you mind either way. I was merely showing how little yuo seem to know and noarrow you view on things are. I agree with hugh. Talk to a (or some) vicars, rectors, pastors, preists, fathers, reverends whatever and see if they can answer your questions...or help you answer them for yourself

18. joo kyle

joo kyle thisandthat

I think if I had to pick a religon to get behind it would be buddism. The religon is built on being a good person and nothing more. But I don't like the idea of reincarnation.

19. stebo32

stebo32 amanita monster

i think i would choose the religion of is-ness. just be. jeebus

oh and good luck with that rockstar dream woodstockchild

20. Any Color You Like

Any Color You Like Senior Member

I don't want to upset any body who beleives in God, but my opinion is that believing in God is a bit like having an imaginary friend. You cannot trust an imaginary friend. It's something you've got to get rid of at some point in your life...

Like said stebo, just be yourself, be your God.