proactiv solution - does it really work?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by AppleScruff, Jun 2, 2004.

1. AppleScruff

AppleScruff Member

the infommercial certainly is convincing, but i know better than to believe everything i see on the telly. i'm pale and i don't like to wear makeup, so i'm looking for something that will help keep my face clear. i'm just wondering if any of you have tried proactiv, or if you know of anyone who has...and did it work?

2. Eden

Eden Member

ive heard it works but its kind of strong.

3. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

my sister uses it, and it works for her. we gots genetic rash acne, and her skin looks great. MyMindy uses it too. she swears by it.

4. AppleScruff

AppleScruff Member

i read on their website that the amount of benzoyl peroxide they use is only 3.5%, as compared to 5% which you'll find in most over-the-counter acne products.

5. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

I tried it a couple years ago when my acne was at it's worst. It didn't do much for my skin. Even though the percentage of benzoyl peroxide in the lotion is only 3.5%, the whole system (which includes a slightly abrasive face wash, toner, and lotion) can definitely be a bit harsh when used all together. I didn't like the toner much. It stung and was actually a little oily. The face wash and benzoyl peroxide lotion were decent though. But it was just too much money to be spending on something that wasn't doing enough. I think it would work better for someone with mild acne and....more money.

6. AppleScruff

AppleScruff Member

even though i only have mild acne i suppose it would be nice to have it really cleared up, though i'm not convinced proactiv is worth all that money.

7. ArtistofPeace

ArtistofPeace Senior Member

I used it for a while, and it helped me. I used to be really self conscious about my face, but now I'm clear, and it's all good...:) It's up to you if you wanna try it or not, but it helped me out, personally.

8. AppleScruff

AppleScruff Member

i was going to order some but decided not to once i realized they would automatically charge my credit card every two months and send me more .. even though i didn't actually ask for anymore. i'm worried that it might be a hassle canceling if i'm not happy with the product.

9. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

I've never tried Proactiv, but I have tried just about everything else out there... Prescriptions, natural products, washcloths, no washcloths, washing once a day, washing twice a day, wearing makeup, no makeup, ad nauseum...

I have found that I have to just experiment with my skin. It depends on where I'm living: climate, pollution, etc...

Right now (for the last few months), what is working for me is using a moisturizing soap like Dove Nutrium on a washcloth, in the morning (no washing at night). Then, I put on lotion, then I wear makeup.

In Pittsburgh, it was washing with no washcloth, using an antibacterial soap like Dial, putting on lotion and not wearing makeup.

In Modesto it was washing twice a day, no washcloth and wearing makeup, no lotion.

Yeah, I have goofy, sensitive skin... LOL

10. AppleScruff

AppleScruff Member

i just ordered some. apparently i'll be getting it in 2-3 weeks.

11. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

It's really not that difficult to cancel your shipments. From what I remember, all it took for me was a phone call. I hope it works out for you; everyone's correct acne solution seems to be different :)

12. AppleScruff

AppleScruff Member

yeah, if it doesn't work i'll just get the refund and maybe get a prescrip from the doctor. health care = free. my acne is mild, but i'm just thinking of how great it would be to be completely clear.