Pro smoking speech in college class

Discussion in 'Stoners Lounge' started by jimaug87, Apr 17, 2007.

1. jimaug87

jimaug87 Member

I just gave my pro smoking speech today and I got a very mixed reaction from my classmates. It was an informative speech so I focused on the pro's and con's of smoking marijuana. There weren't many persoanl facts about my life in the speech except for some anticdotes (sp?).

The professor was very pleased that I took a topic many people are uncomfortable with and one that is controversial and gave a mature, relevant speech relying on facts. I've spoken with him outside of class regarding the topic and I was ready for his approval. My classmates surprised me, however.

Some classmates enjoyed it and those are the kids I know or assumed smoked. Some kids were amazed that I was blatantly open about my illegal activity on campus, which was to be expected. Then there were a couple of anti-drug, innocent students (mainly female?) that thought I was innapropriate and those students are the reason I am not going to carry for a couple of days. There was one person that gave me the stink eye, and I would not be surprised if she reports me.

My professor said he does not care about my personal life, and all he wanted was a well developed speech that I delivered at the same quality as my others (this is one class I excell at). I thought you guys might like to hear about my eexciting day in speech class today. Also, I hope you guys find humorouse, as I do, that some college kids at a major university were amazed that there were drug users among the population.

NOTE: this was NOT a pro legalazation speech. I am not sure that bud should be legalized. It would be wonderful if you could legally carry, but there are far too many problems in todays society and in the government to undertake something of that size and complexity. This was a pro socially smoking speech.

2. 420fuchs

420fuchs speaks the truth.

cool.

fuck the hataz

3. Gdeadhead420

Gdeadhead420 DivineMomentsofTruth

where do you go to college in mass? just curious..

4. jimaug87

jimaug87 Member

I go to Umass Amherst and yes, it is a party school. ;)

5. midnite702toker

midnite702toker Member

gee i cant wait till i get to college

6. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Good job, people have to be exposed to these subjects. I have always been very open about my marijuana smoking in college, never got into problems for it and actually gained the respect of professors for being open and free.

Anyhow... My final speech in speech class my freshman year was about Lou Reed. I came to class barefoot, wearing aviators, a ripped shirt, ripped jeans, with a guitar and an unlit cigg in my mouth. Half of my presentation was singing "Satellites of Love"... my teacher gave me the biggest "WTF" look and a B :D

7. makesmomcry420

makesmomcry420 shlimazl

my final speech in my oral presentation class was about legalisation, and my midterm speech was on LSD legalisation. and in between i did a speech on richard rameriez. i miss that class, so good.

8. thered

thered Member

^^ HaHa, that's amazing (Rubin and MMC)

It's great that you could give a speech like that at all. I don't head out to college until next year but I didn't have any reason to think it could be THAT open a setting. And, if your school is such a party school, it is REALLY weird that anyone would seriously take offense.

On a separate note, I think the current war on drugs is a lot more complex and extensive than legalization would ever be.

9. jimaug87

jimaug87 Member

True the war on drugs takes a massive amount of money and man power to control. There is a system in place though. If we were to change the rules the initial shock to the system would be huge. Of course after we go through a 'break in' period everyone would be happy.

And yeah, who would have guessed there are people at college to LEARN psst screw them. Experimentation is where the fun is

10. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

do you have a copy of your speech that you can post here?

11. BudBill

BudBill Dark Helmet

Sweet.

A long time ago my old marco economics prof was a big NORML supporter and would use herb in many examples. Had a doob or two after class with him too. :)

12. killswitchjd

killswitchjd Senior Member

bill thats bomb as hell.
    theres a list on normls site of college profs that lead norml at different schools. in mn there is only one at winona state.
    but my school is a party school, and half the people at parties would smoke if it was offered. So not a biggy here, but nice way to get nonsmokers the facts.

13. Gdeadhead420

Gdeadhead420 DivineMomentsofTruth

yeah i thought so, i love Umass Amherst.

14. jimaug87

jimaug87 Member

You gonna be around campus Gdeadhead420 come the fall?

good idea natural philosiphy, but I didn't write the speech out. We use a half page outline just in case we lose our place, its supposed to be basically memorized. If I posted the outline it wouldn't make sense to most people, they're basically notes.

I spoke about the positive social aspect of smoking, because everyone gets along when you share a joint. It doesn't matter how shitty a day you had at work/school, you will be happy after something as simple as a bowl. It reduces small aches and pains, I dont suffer from arthritis but I've found some testimonials from people who swear it helps. Compared to alcohol getting high is much more pleasant. I've never thrown up from smoking, had a hang over, blacked out, or 'drunk dialed'. Wheras, I have suffered from all those conditions after getting trashed.

Of course some negatives were that it's not accepted by a lot of people, it's illegal, it's not good to inhale smoke of any kind.

In the conclusion i put that it is not for everyone, but after weighing the positives I get from smoking it is worth it to me.

Those are the basics, I feel like I missed a few things, but I'm on bowl #2 and havn't smoked in a while. Damn this feels good. I gotta lay off tho 'cause this 1/4 has to last me THRU 4/20. Peace guys

15. smokindude

smokindude Senior Member

jimaug...you dont anyone by the name of Dan Lampke do ya?

16. jimaug87

jimaug87 Member

honestly, it rings a bell but thats it. sorry. i may have run into him but that memory is long gone. Does he go here?