Price Of Condoms - Cheap Or Overpriced ?

Discussion in 'Birth Control' started by nz male, May 12, 2013.

1. nz male

nz male Senior Member

How much does a packet of condoms (12 per pack) cost in your country?
    Brand names like Durex, Lifestyles or most common brands.

Do you think the prices are reasonably cheap & acceptable or overpriced for what you pay for them ?

Do you prefer to buy them on when they are on special or pay the full retail prices or pay what you consider a reasonable price?

I looked at some last night at work that were on special for $9 per pack of 12. They were the Durex Pleasure types
    Do you consider that price cheap or overpriced ?

I know it's a safe sex option but should they be suitably priced for all regardless wages / incomes ?

Doctors can supply them here much cheaper in New Zealand thru a chemist but only if done thru a prescription.
    So why can't they be bought by everyone that prefers to use them well below what they cost now in supermarkets / adult shops for those who are wanting to prevent pregnancies etc ?

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i don't remember what they cost here. probably not too far off from the price there.

i'd say it's reasonable. if you can't pay around a dollar to have sex, you should probably be filling out job applications instead of fucking anyway.

3. NikeGirl

NikeGirl Member

The brand name ones are at least a dollar, but well worth it! They are relatively cheap, safe, and effective. Condoms are one of the greatest inventions in all of history!

4. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

They are too expensive, in my book.

Condoms, in my opinion, should always be free--they should be readily available (somewhere private) in schools, hospitals, etc. etc. Not everyone can afford them and I think that leads many people to opt out of using birth control.

It is much, much cheaper for the government to provide condoms than it is to provide care for unwanted children, abortions, and treatment for STD's.

5. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

Definitely overpriced. A box of three condoms is 6 dollars. I never buy those because they'd be gone way too fast. I try to go for the boxes of 20-26 condoms and they can get pretty pricy. But then again I'm sure the not fancy brand name ones are cheaper.

I'm a big fan of Trojan Fire and Ice.

6. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

I beg to differ. If you are willing to partake in adult activities and make adult decisions I see no reason you should not have to pay for these things yourself. As a taxpayer I also object to having to pay for abortions and std treatment for people who make the wrong decisions.

7. la Principessa

What YouFreeMe was trying to say was that maybe the cost of abortions and std treatments would not be a burden on the taxpayers (as much, if at all) IF condoms were always free and readily available. So why would you object to contraceptives being free then? Makes no sense :confused:

8. RiderOnTheStorm2.0

RiderOnTheStorm2.0 Lizard Kween Lifetime Supporter

A box of Trojans comes to anywhere between $6-12 depending on how many are in the box & where you shop. There is a pharmacy in Queens where I am that makes it a point to sell condoms at an affordable price because they believe everyone should have accesss to birth control if they need it. Unfortunately, they are a very small pharmacy wedged between 2 CVS stores (a popular drug store chain) so they're fighting a battle against the big companies. I think condoms are too expensive, but compared to the cost of pregnancy and raising a child, $12 is a bargain!

9. babyjay

babyjay Senior Member

They're expensive, if you want the good shit. If you don't wanna pay, get them for free at planned parenthood or whatever equivalent place that advocates safe sex. You get a paper bag special of a bunch of condoms. Nothin special, just a cock cover.

10. babyjay

babyjay Senior Member

If condoms were readily available to anyone and everyone, you would have less worry about abortions and STD treatment. Although since when do those things get paid for by the government? Any person I ever knew who had an abortion had to fork over a nice chunk of change. Same for STD treatments.

11. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

I don't think the government should be in the business of providing condoms so anyone who wants to can have sex. If you want to have sex buy your own condoms! Why should I as a taxpayer be paying for condoms so ANYONE can have sex?

I like to drink beer. Do I expect the government to buy my beer for me?

12. la Principessa

^doesnt get it.

13. enhancer13

enhancer13 Senior Member

If you can't afford condoms can you really afford to have sex? Diapers and meds cost a whole lot more!

14. deleted

deleted Visitor

IF youre on Welfare, the State pays for Vasectomies ,, u just need to wait in line for 3to6months..

Dead beat dads need to have mandatory vasectomies..

15. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

nobody mentioned that although they are well worth the price you pay...they are way overpriced, it only cost a couple cents to make a condom. they could sell them for a quarter a pop and make a huge profit...maybe a bigger profit because people would be more likely to buy them from you.

16. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I agree with bft 100%.

It is not the governments job to wrap your dick.

If you think brand name condoms are overpriced.....don't buy them.

If you want free condoms.....go to one of the many places that gives out the crappy ones for free.

We need less government spending, not more. It's nauseating seeing people searching for handouts.

17. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

You might not agree with it but it often ends up happening anyway. Whether or not you think it is right people are going to have unprotected sex (responsible choice or not) and end up in situations they can't pay for. What about the children that are born from the pregnancies that weren't prevented? You are going to end up paying for the welfare, the food stamps, etc. etc. What would you rather pay, the 168 dollars per day per family on welfare (national average) or the 74 cents per condom to avoid future spending? Ideally, neither--but that isn't the reality right now, these things exist and until they don't we pay one way or another.

18. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Exactly. Condoms are virtually free compared to all of the consequences of unwanted children.

Anyone CAN have sex anyway, they don't need a condom. That is the problem. People can and will have sex with or without a condom.

Comparing it to drinking beer is a weak argument. Buying you beer wouldn't save the government and tax payers any money in the long run. In fact it might cost them money when they have to pay for your liver transplant and rehab bills.

19. la Principessa

Exactly. It's not about "looking for handouts". It's just about being smart. Making condoms (not necessarily Trojans obviously) cheaper would EQUAL a lot less government funding on welfare, foodstamps, abortion costs, doctor bills (and not just for unwanted pregnancies, but STD prevention as well). You want to not fork over your tax dollars for anything at all but it doesn't work that way. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Face the fact that poor people wouldn't need as much help from the government if the cost of living were manageable for everyone (And I'm talking generally now) and not just the rich. The system needs a change.

20. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

You can get a 36 pack of Trojan condoms for $20 at walgreens. Which equals to about 55cents per rubber.

Lets say you're havin sex 5 times a week.....which is well above average I would say. That would mean you're paying $2.75 a week for condoms.

Lets say you're having sex twice a day, every day of the week. That would cost you $7.70.

And this is for Trojans....not the cheap brands.

How the fuck is that "too much?" If you're not willing to shed out that kind of money to enjoy sex safely then you don't place much value to your sex life.

Besides, we've been able to get free condoms from health centers for a long time now. Do you want to get government issued rubbers mailed to your door for free so you can't be bothered to make a run to the store?