Price Gouging Life-Saving Meds

Discussion in 'Ethics' started by Shale, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Shale

Shale ~

We have heard about the abuses of BIG PHARMA in the U.S. - They are not out to help sick ppl, but out to make a buck on ppl's dependence on their drugs. Worse than any drug pusher on the streets.

Well, this Wall Street lowlife, Martin Shkreli, just busted into a new area of crime - take a drug that has effectively saved lives for 60 years and which was selling at an exorbitant price of $13.50 a pill and then sell it for $750 a pill, just because you can.

[​IMG]

Never mind that the pill costs one dollar to make and nevermind that immunosuppressed ppl's lives depend on this med - nevemind human compassion - just make them pay or die.

I think it is time for the U.S. Government to do the right thng and take control of Wall Street gangsters and those who have infltrated the pharmaceutical industry.

This unconscionable piece of shit with a perpetual smile on his smug face gouging prices just because he can is a disgrace to humanity and the current face of our failed system of uncontrolled greed. No, he ain't the first nor even the worst abuser of captialism just the current most disgusting. (At least the Koch brothers work from the shadows like traditional scum)

5 people like this.
  2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

An increase of 5,000% .

1 person likes this.
  3. Shale

Shale ~

It was later reported that Shkreli is considering lowering his original gouge price for the med but has not given a new figure. (It could turn out to be $749.99)

He is probably realizing that he is the most hated person in the U.S. right now and trying to defray the heat.

He was smugly fielding all the hate on Twitter, FB and other social media sites but probably I am not the only one who thot that someone this reviled would be a target for actual harm.

Say, you or a loved one is dying anyhow because you cannot access this med. What better way to exit than to take out this scum on the way.

He is even more despicable when compared to real humanitarians:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

this effects not only the consumer but the drug store - insurance companies continue to reimburse at the lower rate they were reimbursing last year for these meds when prices were lower and pharmacies are having to take a loss as a result. Its a very bad situation all around.

there is really no logic in pharmaceutical profit margin - actually, this applies to all branches if healthcare. Healthcare doesn't fall under the normal laws of economics in a capitalist society because it is a service people need and they often dont have the option to shop around until they find the best deal. I think a single payer system is very much in order but in lieu of that the government at least needs to regulate the healthcare market more and put tighter controls on the margin of profit a healthcare company can make.

3 people like this.
  5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Can you say=SMARMY LITTLE MOTHERFUCKER? I can. And don't any of you DARE to propose buying meds from Canada---repubs would lose election money from Pharma.

6. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

I believe that this is what capitalists refer to as "market forces"

7. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

things like essential medication should not be in the hands of corporations and the scumbags that run them. a lot of things shouldnt be, but pharmaceuticals REALLY shouldnt be.

3 people like this.
  8. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I don't think there's any depth too murky and fucked up for these people.

3 people like this.
  9. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Agree, Bill. And it's so blatant that I wonder who is keeping these people in office. Haven't the goals, some wishful thinking and some realized, been SOOOOOOO obvious
    forever? Their disdain for common folk is on display every time any of them speak.

2 people like this.