Pretty Fast

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by YankNBurn, Jun 10, 2006.

1. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

[​IMG]

There that is a better way to describe, okay as for the shorter floor boards it will work still can use 16" long ones if you want but most people try to use at least length of the deck. The picture has the joists going the wrong way but only used it for the spacing info. So as for the floor boards again, if you are having a deck, porch whatever say you want it 8 feet out from the house then best would be 8 foot boards, 10 foot, 10 foot boards. If you are gonna go 8 foot but have access to alot of 4 foot floor type boards then just add a extra joist where they are gonna join at so allow you to have enough board to connect to. I think for like a 8 foot deck could go with 3 32" boards and then you would need to double up 2 joists, 1 at 32 and one at 64

2. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

i think the length of the deck is like 15 feet. the width is like 7 or 8. i'll take measurements tomorrow.

but the floor boards we were using before were like 5 inches wide, and around 15 ft. but thats gonna have to change. cuz that would mean a shit load of 5 in wide x 8 ft boards...

3. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

5" wide by the 7 or 8 foot long is great, the boards width is fine. I use CDA 2"x4"x10' for my deck. So if yours is like 2"x5"x8' or whatever then your totally cool for a 8'x15' deck.

4. fitzy21

ah sweet. sounds good to me. now what is CDA wood? i don't know what we have, but its pretty old and yea, kinda should get new wood...

5. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

CDA is that green colored wood you see, pressure treated. The wood you have if it is still solid, aged wood is great, normally last real well, just dont let untreated wood touch the ground or it will rot and fast.

6. fitzy21

ah i see. yea, the wood we had has been rotting in the back yard for a year...the support beams should be replaced too...it'll be easier to just get the support beams and floor boards new - the frame is still good.

7. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

There ya go, always try to save when ya can.

8. fitzy21

yea...thanks for all the help...now i won't sound like a complete moron if someone asks me what i need the wood for, hahaha :D

really though, thanks for the help :)

9. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

no problem and most place like Home Depot and ect are pretty used to first time do it yourselfers. So hmm 8x16 deck

Material List:

16= 2x6x8 floor joists
    10= 4x4x4 posts going into the ground if you want the deck hieght 2' above ground.
    48= 2x4x8 for decking
    I use screws so I would say 5 pounds 3 1/2 inch deck screws and 5 pounds 3" deck screws for the floor boards.

10. fitzy21

sweet deal...i'll be getting the correct measurements tomorrow, then maybe take a trip to home depot to check it out

now gotta find a way to get the wood up to the 2nd floor...probably just use neighbors yard and stairs to bring the wood up and down...now i just need the sun to come out for a good while

11. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

This is a second floor deck???

12. fitzy21

yea, my grandma lives on the first floor (ground level) - she has the backyard

we live on the 2nd and 3rd floors. the deck is off the kitchen door on the 2nd floor.

13. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Well Im an overkill whimp when it comes to hieghts, I would be using 6x6 support posts comming from the ground and 2x8x8 joists and still 2x4x8 deck boards. Again though I have a fear of things falling so I would make it so a car could be on it, lol

14. fitzy21

well, to fall off, you'd have to jump into the backyard, or to the left onto the sidewalk or car on the street.

the house would have to collapse for you to fall through the deck into the apt. below. the deck is on top the attic for the 1st floor apt.

15. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Oh okay, well that would be really cool! Not to fall thru I mean the deck above the dwelling.

16. fitzy21

yea, it kinda looks like this - god i suck at MS paint hahaha. theres also a basement.

[​IMG]

17. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Gotcha looks good enough to covey the message. What will b e so cool s the happiness you will have for getting it done, great project for you and your dad.

18. fitzy21

yea, i'm doing it in part, in that i want a porch to chill on, a part that my dad could help me and be fun to do that with him, and last part being that i owe my dad lots of money and this is one of many ways i can pay him back hahahaha

19. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Your alot better than alot of people, you at least admit that he has helped ya and you want to repay the favor. So many these days think they are owed everything and they are willing to do nothing for it.

20. fitzy21

oh yea, this is just one way i can help out. i may not be able to pay back with money, but i can do work around the house. someday, we might sell this place after my grandmother is gone...and not many places in boston have this much space...i do what i can.