preparing for meditation?

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by inbloom, Jun 6, 2004.

1. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

is there any proper way to prepare for meditation?

also, is there a proper way to end a meditation session??

2. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

Personally I like taking hot baths to loosen up the muscles and mind and get rid of tension. Following ones meditation, a dedication to someone's health is good. Saying something like, I dedicate the benefits of this meditation, chanting, prayer, to so and so for their health, or to the world for peace, or to the hungry that they may eat. The benefit of this is that the merit of the spiritual act isn't just dissipated by oneself as soon as they go shout at someone, or get drunk or have sex, but the good intention lives on after the practice. The benefit of altruistic intention is like lighting a candle from another candle and spreading the light instead of merely hoarding the light for oneself.

3. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

A good way to start meditation is by chanting prayers, lighting incense, performing pooja and aarti. These turn your mind towards the higher when done with an understanding of the significance of the ritual. Also you may listen o bhajans or lectures by te great masters.

What works for me is the sunrise and sunset. At these times I do a little aarti mentally, by chanting some slokas (usually mantra pushpanjali, the aarti suktam and ganga stotram) and contemplate and marvel at the beauty of the painting in the sky, the greatness of the Supreme Painter who created it all and my mind becomes calm and sattvic, ready or meditation. Similarly when meditation ends, you chant some slokas, just sit and enjoy the aferglow of it, read, listen ot music, take a walk...dont let the spiritual mood get dissipiated, enjoy it and make it last, linger as long as possible. These are the most beautiful moments in life.

4. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

....yes....