Pre nups in New Zealand

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by barefooted_in_iowa, Jul 30, 2010.

1. barefooted_in_iowa

barefooted_in_iowa Member

Kia Ora!

I just came across this article on nzheald

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/your-views/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501154&objectid=10661262

I wanted to get some Kiwi hippy input on this issue. Are you married, and if so, did you sign a pre nup? What would be the likely reaction of a woman if approached by her boyfriend concerning a pre nup? I have brought up the issue with the only girlfriend that I would have seriously considered marrying, and she was not too keen on the idea. However, according to this article, a court can divide possessions after a mere 3 years of cohabiting! When I move to NZ and get married, good responsible judgment tells me that it is in both parties best interest to draw up a pre nup. Kiwis, should I expect an argument when I bring this up? Secondly, would I even have to worry about a prenup with a modern Maori woman?

Cheers!

2. barefooted_in_iowa

Just reading through the comments on the article, and I came across classic Kiwi wit that as an american I find to be world class. Above and beyond american wit by a long shot:
    "Crucie Fiction (Waikato) 11:55AM Monday, 26 Jul 2010

Why get married? Find someone you hate and give them half your stuff."

lol!

3. barefooted_in_iowa

Kia Ora!

Come on! Any married/previously married/getting married Kiwis on here with some advice?

Cheers!

4. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I think that NZ traffic here is pretty slim. Also, I think this forum may be mostly exchange between travelers. You might want to find a marriage specific site, or a site with more NZ traffic

5. Ray Roberts

Ray Roberts Members

Just be sure you make a good choice when getting married and remember the law works both ways so marry someone with a load of cash.