Power and overreach

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 42017, Oct 21, 2018.

1. With all the bullshit about Trump to wade through, "he ate a cheeseburger and porked a hooker, get the smelling salts" it seems like maybe some singular issues deserve specific attention. This thing with power is disturbing, a point where Trump is indeed acting like a republican. While I think this article is slanted, it's the only one I can find even touching this;
    A nuclear October surprise?

On the surface it seems prudent, spread the good and bad power sources across everybody's bill and level the economic impact. Only, that's not how it works. This executive action funnels money into power plants that do not make a profit and cannot ever make a profit. This includes nuclear plants that are buried under lawsuits and coal plants, like that massive one on a reservation out west.

The old coal-fueled mega plants were reliable and could run for a year without stopping. But then, they need a mile long train of coal, each day. But worse than that, they are not fuel efficient and the emissions are incredible. So they cost more to run than they yield. They should be shuttered, instead Trump wants them to have a seat at the tax trough one more time.

It's time to look into the Trump family's energy sector connections. I think the oil connection is already pretty obvious. Writing blank checks to coal and nuclear is genuine executive overreach. Unless, of course, he can prove a viable reason (aside from enriching cronies).

2. lode

lode Banned

If that's the outrage to stop the MAGA train for you, I don't disagree this is an improper and possibly corrupt use of executive power.

Rhetoric aside, the only issue on which I find the Trump administration challenging republican orthodoxy are the trade disputes.

3. He seems to be challenging the republican tradition of running away crying when somebody calls them names. Personally, I preferred Bernie, at first. I really enjoyed watching Trump make fools of the artificially-diverse republican candidates. Then I watched the Clintons actually make one of their 90's era tricks work as they shoved Bernie to the background, in that nice villa.

I already lived through a Clinton administration, I'm not about to vote for them JUST because they're democrats. I try not to fall for the party game, they all go to the same country clubs. Citizen voting in the US is just a wild card in a rigged game. But really, I can see how it came to be and why. It makes total sense. And it keeps serfs engaged in the process or engaged in bitching about the process.

scratcho likes this.
  4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Well, there's also NATO and standing up to Russia, and the deficit, and the bromance with Putin and Kim jong un.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    MeAgain likes this.
  5. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Speaking of bitching, what do you see as a preferable alternative? A non-vote for that is a vote for Trump and serfdom.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    MeAgain likes this.
  6. Since it's not the Clintons, I don't really care. Soon enough the democrats will find a way to grind Trump's advances to a halt. Then everything will go stagnant again and revert to the usual snail's pace.

7. lode

lode Banned

Most points I'd agree. But the last two conservative presidents have cut taxes while increasing spending. W increased the debt 101%.

8. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

You're right, but the Republicans like to tout their fiscal conservatism.

9. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Panic

LOL Yes I’ve meet many right wingers that do run away crying because their ideas don’t stand up to scrutiny

The big problem is that although they can’t defend their ideas from valid criticism they still carry on holding on to them and even have the audacity to promote them.

Let me get this correct, you don’t care how your leaders are chosen? Would you be happy with a dictatorship if it fitted in with your political views?

What advances are you talking about?

Not sure what you mean by ‘reverting’ and ‘snail’s pace’ but I would like to have policies thought through and properly examined and discussed.

10. To your last line, I would like to have seen this with the ACA, but it was deemed heretical at the time to question anything the administration was doing.

You seem to assign your thoughts onto others in a conversation. Doing it with me is a waste of time.

11. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Panic

The American Composers Alliance?

What are you talking about?

Honestly with a straight face you are trying to say there was no opposition to the Obama Admin, honestly?

LOL - Look mate I’m just trying to work out what the fuck you are talking about

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  12. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I think he's talking about the Affordable Care Act (aka, Obamacare.) The day before Obama's inauguration, Republicans made a pact to oppose virtually any legislation Obama put forward.
    Democrats condemn GOP's plot to obstruct Obama as 'appalling and sad'
    New book details GOP’s early opposition to Obama stimulus
    The Party of No: New Details on the GOP Plot to Obstruct Obama | TIME.com
    Obamacare was the special target of their wrath because they were afraid people would like it.
    Why Republicans hate Obamacare
    Republicans Hate Obamacare Because They're Afraid People Will Like It