Potty training

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Applespark, May 12, 2004.

1. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

I knwo he will learn when his time is right. he keeps telling me he lieks to poop and pee in his diaper. It's been like over a month since he went twice in the potty at all I'm sure. I try to encourage it everyday but he still says no. he's 2 and a half almost and very smart. I know he understands about it but I think he;s jsut trying to practive his independance in knowing he can tell me no.

2. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I know you are ready for the potty, but he obviously isn't. My neice is four and STILL has to use a diaper sometimes; she is VERY stubborn. Just leave the potty out for him to play with. We have one that plays music when the kid peepees. maybe get him some big boy undies with his favorite characters on it. Other than gentle encouragement, it is up to him. He won't go to high school wearing Depends!

3. Applespark

I havent pushed him to do it I just tell him its there adn I have 2 options for him in the bathroom. He threw a big fit the otehr day..welll not a fit but a he put up a good fight when I put a pair of undies on him the other day.

4. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

Sounds like he's not ready to be a big boy yet. He'll come round when he's ready. We let our son sit on the potty every night to brush his teeth. he's 22 months old. One night he actually went peepee in it. We praised him all over the place. But he's not done it again. We don't really do anything else. Just let him sit there at night. We do talk to him about what's going on while we're in the bathroom. The other night I asked him if I would be able to go to the bathroom by myself when he is 30. Probably not though, cause I'll be 81 when he is 30. I'll probably need a nurse to assist by then. :)

Kathi

5. Applespark

Its just weird because for about a year he was totaly into it and now he's just totaly NOT at all.

6. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

You could try to get rid of diapers and pull ups during the day. That is what I did and used only cloth training pants as they are not too comfortable when they are used instead of a diaper.

My daughter trained really easily and to be honest I think she did it herself. My son was a little more comfy and took his time. Eventually he did though.

Good luck with the potty training! :)

7. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

I second the cloth diapers, they're no fun when wet.

8. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

we had to tell my son he wasn't getting a 4th birthday party unless he used the potty. finally we just bought him some underwear. it worked like magic. he didn't want to get his new underwear dirty, so after tat he used the potty every time, with only one or two accidents.

i'm trying to find a local source of cloth training pantsfor my daughter, although letting her run around diaperless or naked seems to be helping. we put her potty in the hallway or dining room during the day, where she can get to it easily herself, and she uses it, because just squatting on the potty is easier than trying to tug down training pants or take off a diaper.

9. Applespark

taking the potty out of the bathroom is a good idea..I think I will try that one

10. mrs_eads80

mrs_eads80 Member

My daughter is pertty much potty trained, But only if I make her go to the bathroom every couple of hours or so. If I just ask her "Do you need to go potty?" She will alwyas say no, and if I trust her word, she will have an accident. Any sugetions on how to make her understand when she needs to go to the potty? Or is this normally how it gose for a while?

11. paganmomof2

paganmomof2 Member

I'm not sure how old your daughter is , mine is 2 1/2 exactly. My advice is 1-work the potty into her normal routine.Every single day , at the same times just say "it's time to sit on the potty". Your best bets are - just getting up in the morning and from nap time;about 20 minutes after breakfast , lunch and dinner,just before bath , just before bed. You will quickly learn when her most regular times are and so will she.Also , realize that toddlers who are concentrating on a task or game can completely ignore urgency , wetness and poopiness. They really DON"T notice. You have to encourage her to notice.Lots of naked time helps enormously. So does bribery - I hate to say it. When my daughter got to where she KNEW when she had to go but wouldn't for whatever reason , I resorted to bribery.Rewarding for using the potty but not chastising for not using it worked very well for us. We gave her a small sticker for peeing , a big sticker for pooping and a book to put them in WHILE she sat on the potty.Also - we kept some of her favorite books where she could reach while on the potty. After all - Daddy likes to read when he's pooping- and so does she !

12. tree

tree Member

Hey Applespark!
    i'm going through pretty much the same thing with my son, he's almost 28 months.
    i pulled out the potty when he was about 18 months old, never pushed him...just explained what it was for etc. i would ask him every know and again if he wanted to sit on potty and he would almost always say 'yes'. By 19 months he was peeing on his potty about 75% of the time, even initiating it!! Everyone i knew was amazed, we though for sure he'd be potty trained by two! He stayed really consistant with his pottying, peeing 75% of the time, and pooping occasionally. More or less by accident.
    Then he turned two and went on a complete potty strike. Wouldn't have anything to do with it for over a month. Then one day he asked to use the potty again...and he pooped on it!! He started telling me everytime he had to poop, and was pooping on the potty almost everytime....but he wouldn't pee on it!!???
    He did this for a couple month, and then stopped completely again. Now he won't go anywhere near his potty, and won't even tell me if he messed his pants. Infact he'll deny it, even if you can smell him two rooms away!! WE use cloth diapers, so it has to be uncomfortable!!

So if anyone has advice, i need it too! Good luck Applespark!
    blessings,
    ~tree

13. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

my daughter was in the middle of potty training herself previous to her father and i's seperation. she was using the potty all the time. however, as we were living w/ my folks she stopped. and now that we are back in our house.....she goes to it whenever i am using mine. she also tells me when she goes peepee.
    i figure that there is no rushing her and it'll happen when it does. she's smart and i can feel its soon. thank god, i am tired of buying diapers