post yours -Wildlife & Earth inhabitants

Discussion in 'Postcards from Planet Earth' started by campfire-fly, Mar 24, 2009.

1. campfire-fly

campfire-fly Member

I had a vision of a thread that features shots of Plant Earth's inhabitants would be a great way for this community to create a collection of photos in an interactive way from different people featuring what beings exists in nature around them.

At first I was thinking wildlife, but then I started thinking that all Earth's creatures can be caught in their natural states acting out their different natures. Since everything on Earth, even those modified by people like the domestic dog, are from the Earth, they should count too.

So post the beings that you catch or encounter in your environment, whatever that may be - open to creative interpretation of course ~

I'll start with this photo of a river otter that lives across the street from my apartment.

[​IMG]

River otter sunning on the banks of the St. Marys River, Georgia. We watched her raise some pups over the summer under the marina dock. The water is brackish, meaning its a mixture of salt and fresh water. The St. Marys River which flows from the Okeefenokee Swamp is the cleanest fresh water river in the USA. Wildlife is abundant in this estuary of the Atlantic Ocean.

2. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Love your otter pic:) Glad she managed to raise some pups

Heres a happy pig with an apple
    [​IMG]
    Its a tamworth pig who lives in Malvern in England near to us with quite a large piggy family

3. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Some other creatures weve met recently

[​IMG]
    Very curious deer
    [​IMG]
    Some friendly ladies we saw in a field
    [​IMG]
    Mating frogs

And this is a pile of baby mice we bred
    [​IMG]

We have endless wildlife/earthling photos so I wont bore by posting more, but I like the idea of this thread

4. campfire-fly

campfire-fly Member

I encourage you to post as many as you like.

After flipping through my photos I realized I have a nice little collection started of reptiles:

[​IMG]

Good old mr. black snake

[​IMG]

North American eastern rat snake climbing through the subtropical understory of this maritime forest on Cumberland Island, Georgia.

[​IMG]

North American Alligator sunning on the Ashley River in Charleston, South Carolina.

[​IMG]

My porch Chameleon - Miles

5. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Theyre some great snake pics:D oh and thanx

In that case heres a guy we spotted in Varadero, Cuba. I have no idea what he actually was (useless with reptiles as we dont get many here!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. campfire-fly

campfire-fly Member

^That's a cute one. I think he looks like a tropical/subtropical tree lizard.

[​IMG]

"oh, deer, a Mule deer" in north eastern Montana in late summer.

[​IMG]

I spotted these mule deer out on the range in eastern Montana just south of the Missouri River.

7. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Awesome last shot!:eek: I really like the scene

Heres a humble squirrel on our balcony in England:D hehe
    [​IMG]

8. Dayzed Dreamer

Dayzed Dreamer Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These guys live in the pond infront of my apt.

[​IMG]
    We call him peanut. He will almost eat from my hand

[​IMG]
    Sometimes these guys get on the trail and I have to wait them out, bc I am way to scared to get any closer!

9. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

10. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Nutty the squirrel is back
    [​IMG]
    NOM!

11. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Aww Peanut!:eek:

12. campfire-fly

campfire-fly Member

^good shot of your nutty buddy in action. That's awesome, as long as my beagle is around, that will never happen on my balcony.

13. campfire-fly

campfire-fly Member

[​IMG]

These four to six week old Big Horned Owls have emerged from their clutch nestled in a hallow of this centuries old Live Oak tree on the elementary school grounds. The community has been watching them as they have emerged from the nest in recent weeks.

14. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

awesome pics lonewolf:)

15. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Wow amazing owl pics there

16. campfire-fly

campfire-fly Member

17. campfire-fly

campfire-fly Member

This is a photo I pulled up from last summer. These are wild horses on a Cumberland Island beach in Georgia watching the South Cut Fire in the National Wilderness Area. Because of drought conditions I think some 2,000 acres total ended up burning in the remote northwest portion of the island. I'm a reporter so the National Forest Service took me out on a boat to see the fire last June.

There were 10 or so national and state agencies that set up a command post in town for about a month. Fires in a remote wilderness are hard to control, especially on an island. They fought this fire with axes and shovels, nothing else. No historic structures were damaged. But it did kick up wild life sightings else where on the island as they were displaced from their remote perferred homes, like more wild horses hanging out on the beaches and in the dunes.

[​IMG]

18. AndreaGe

AndreaGe Member

i take this pictures last summer, near Piacenza - Italy

19. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I like ducks too..heres a few pics I took last year

[​IMG]

[​IMG]