Possible draft?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by user__friendly, Jun 2, 2004.

1. user__friendly

user__friendly Member

I think I've heard this somewhere. Isn't there talk going on about a possible draft coming up in 2005?

2. JamminOTR

JamminOTR Member

hehe, well lets hope not cus I got my draft card in the mail about a month ago. Funny...a little piece of paper can determine whether you live a normal life, go to another country and kill people, go to another country period or end up in jail for a long time, all cus of the piece of paper and the "bright" ideas behind it. Stupid draft!
    :p<--smiley vomiting

3. user__friendly

user__friendly Member

Gah, I know! For your sake, and everyone elses, lets hope a draft isn't necessary!

4. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

I've heard talk of a possible draft. For the love of humanity, I hope it's just a hoax. But, I can see it happening. All the war casualties that we have. If our president only had a brain....

5. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

its more like probable draft. they are passing laws right now actually. and i believe i read that women are going to be included. Canada has already signed a treaty to not harbor draftdodgers. expect life to get worse before it gets better.

6. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

Here is an article I recieved in an email newsletter about a week ago.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Draft will Start in June 2005

There is pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills: S 89 and HR 163) which will time the program's initiation so the draft can begin at early as Spring 2005 -- just after the 2004 presidential election. The administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed now, while the public's attention is on the elections, so our action on this is needed immediately.

$28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS) budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June 15, 2005. Selective Service must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation. Please see website: www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html to view the sss annual performance plan - fiscal year 2004.

The Pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide. Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and influential members of congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may have no choice but to draft.

Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and HR 163 forward this year, http://www.hslda.org/legislation/na...s89/default.asp entitled the Universal National Service Act of 2003, "to provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons [age 18--26] in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." These active bills currently sit in the committee on armed services.

Dodging the draft will be more difficult than those from the Vietnam era.

College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and the U.S. signed a "smart border declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's minister of foreign affairs, John Manley, and U.S. Homeland Security director, Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft more equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service until the end of their current semester. Seniors would have until the end of the academic year.

Even those voters who currently support US actions abroad may still object to this move, knowing their own children or grandchildren will not have a say about whether to fight. Not that it should make a difference, but this plan, among other things, eliminates higher education as a shelter and includes women in the draft.

The public has a right to air their opinions about such an important decision.

Please send this on to all the friends, parents, aunts and uncles, grandparents, and cousins that you know. Let your children know too -- it's their future, and they can be a powerful voice for change!

Please also contact your representatives to ask them why they aren't telling their constituents about these bills -- and contact newspapers and other media outlets to ask them why they're not covering this important story.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in Canada, but if I lived in the US I would be proesting the second they started a draft. In fact, I'll be getting a prtotest together here in Canada against the no harboring treaty, and the draft in general.

7. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

Hey, what about concientious objector status? Would that still apply?

-Kate

8. BuffaloSoldier

BuffaloSoldier Member

I'm sorry, but I will not participate in a war that I do not believe in. If we were getting invaded or I had to actually protect OUR country or OUR freedom, I would be on the front lines. But not for this, not for oil, not for corporations. I couldn't take somebody's life for unknown reasons. I'll dodge if it comes to that.

Love my country, hate my government.

9. Acorn

Acorn Member

whats this about women being in the draft?! can they really do that?

i think mexico signed the treaty too. :(

10. /|\

/|\ Member

how could we dodge it without gettin jail time?? I WILL NOT fight in some stupid oil war...

11. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

You could always claim pacifism. My grandfather did (well, he was a pacifist) you just have to prove it, I believe. They check up on you to see if you've ever been in fights, and that kind of thing. I'm not certain of how one proves it, but it's something to think about. I'd imagaine most people here are anyway, and certainly those wanting to avoid the draft would be - right?

12. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

Anyway, there is a deal that the U.S. is making with Canada and Mexico, that will not allow draft dodgers across their borders.

Oh man, i'm scared shitless about the fact that there might be a draft. After all of the deaths and injuries in Iraq, Bush is going to replace them with new recruits who didn't want to be here in the first place, but had to or they'd go to jail.

I'm going to "conscientious objector" the hell out of this bitch!!!! I suggest that all of us on the forums do the same.

13. DeadheadHippieForPea

DeadheadHippieForPea Member

the thought of a draft scares me sooo much..but i would never fight..i would go to jail before i would hurt anyone and fight in a war.. a relative of ours has a cabin in canada..i think..so we would stay there...peace and love

14. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

i am scared for i do not want to die. what is this crap and who the hell do they think they are to tell innocent people to kill/be killed for their reasons.

thats not very democratic at all. if i wanted to get behind their bullshit "cause", i would choose to but i dont. ahhh! the draft is soooo terrible. we are trapped. ages 1-18 you have limited rights because you're not considered adult. then after that if you get drafted, well, too bad time to die???? AHHHH!!!!!

man im sorry i know im overreacting and whatever but its scary.

ok when are we going to march to washington. Come on, its summer, most schools are out.... lets go. ILL COME!

WE ARE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT!!!!

15. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

"The Pain Of War Cannot Excede, The Woe of Aftermath." - Led Zeppelin, "The Battle Of Evermore" :eek:

That is probably the lyric that explains war the best. Because after a war, there is always grievence and woe. People have died, people have suffered permanent injuries. :(

And that bastard Bush wants to do that to millions of American young adults just for some oil. :confused:

To quote comedian Jim Carrey, "War Is Hell! The Last Thing We Want Is A Fight!". Even though used in a comedic sense, it's true. The last thing that anybody would want is a fight. If anybody thinks that any war is justifiable by a teeny little insignificant reason, then they're insane.

In conclusion, We need to get a revolution up in this bitch! :cool:

16. lover/young_peace

yes we do. yes we do...

17. Real American

Real American Banned

First off, to the people that think this war is about oil. It isn't. As a family member of a family owned oil company, I can asure you, there is plenty of oil for the US. As a matter of fact, for the last 8 years or so the price we get per gallon of oil hasn't changed that much. The gas prices are soaring because of greedy companies. But that's everywhere now days. You can even find that method in the cloths you wear. Cloths makers paid cheap, cloths sold for way more. Point is, America has plenty of reserve oil.

Secondly, and this is to you draft dodgers and cry babies. I understand that war is not right. I understand war leads to the death of many. I understand it's scary. However, I also understand that sometimes it is necessary. What would our life be like had we not fought for our freedom in the American revolution? What would our life be like had we not had a Civil War? You people cry and complain because we are at war...but I'm sure you would cry and complain if we were attacked again but did nothing. Perhaps we should all go hug a tree and invite terrorists over for dinner? Seriously folks, what would you do if you were out with your family and someone attacked your children...would you just sit there, let it happen, and let the person run away? Or would you defend your family? Let's say your local government decides to make a law that says if you aren't jewish you aren't allowed in the city. Yes, I know we have laws that prevent this. But lets say judges decide to ignore that law like some are ignoring same sex marrage laws. Would you just pack up and leave? Or would you fight for your freedom? I'm going to assume you would fight for your freedom. Right now our soldiers are fighting for the freedom of Iraqi(sp) people. They are also fighting for our freedom. There are people out there that don't like us for our freedom. They don't like the fact that you have the right to sit here and complain, and they are willing to kill you and I for it. So while you sit here and cry and complain against a war that is trying to help an oppresed people, remeber there are men and women dying for your right to cry and complain. I'm tired of seeing my nation split apart by words like left wing/right wing. We are one nation, under one God, created to give us a freedom that most people in the rest of the world may never know. There is no more African American, Chinese American, Mexican American, Caucasian, from now on it is American. Open your eyes and see this. Quit fighting amongst yourselves. Support our troops, Support our nation, Support freedom!

18. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

Well, I know I should really just ignor this "Real American" because s/he seems like a troll to me, but for any of those who might be doubting that this war is about oil, and that america (and everyone else for that matter) is running out of oil, and fast, here is a link to check out some of these truths. I'm assuming everyone is somewhat comfortable trusting that National Geographic isn't feeding us ull shit on this one.

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0406/feature5/index.html

19. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

so much for ignoring....

All I have to say to you, RA, is that there is a huge difference between the desire to fight for one's freedom, and being forced fight this unjust, so-called "war on terror."

I still say claiming pacifism seems like the best bet. Could it be so hard to believe a hippie to be a pacifist, I don't think so!

Fighting for the Iraqi peoples supposed freedom when they never asked us to is none of our business.
    Are they grateful that sadom's regime is no longer in control (for now)? I'm sure they are.
    Are we glad that Sadom doesn't have WMD and that we got him? Sure.
    Will most of america be thankful for the oil? No doubt!
    But none of these things justify this war.

20. lover/young_peace

i support our troops ... thats why i dont want them to die.

yes if you feel like its nessacary for a war i cant stop you from signing up. but thats a different topic. we're talking about forcing people into the cause. i dont think they should be able to do that. maybe they think the cause is justifyed, fine let them fight, I dont think it is, so i will fight for only what i believe in. I am not willing to kill somebody over something i do not fully believe in.

and I think that there's a big possibility that our current administration is made of religous terrorists....

by the way, this guy didnt sound like a troll to me. We disagree, but RA seems civilized to me. Plus he had a few points I could agree with.... kind of.

No i dont want war. I dont want to die. I dont want anybody else to die. American or not I dont want them to die.

Ahhh.... life can be so fun. It seems like a waste to fight a war.

ah yes but I realize Im naive, however, Im young so its allowed.:)