Positive thoughts for my Mommy!

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by hummblebee, Jun 6, 2006.

1. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

I just spoke with my mom a little while ago, and she has finally gotten a long-awaited reconstructive surgery scheduled for July 17th.

She was diagnosed with breast cancer a year and a half ago, and had a mastectomy. Her docs then recommended following up with chemo, and a single treatment nearly killed her. Because of a slow recovery from that experience, it's taken a really long time to get her docs comfortable with signing off on her reconstruction. As it is, she said she's still waiting for "permission" from a couple of them.

Her tests all show that she's cancer-free and in quite good health now. I'm so happy for her, having her breast back will do wonders for her self-esteem. She's been wanting this for ages. It sounds like a pretty cool procedure - they will be using fatty tissue from her lower abdomen so it will not only be real (as opposed to synthetic), but it will still be ALL HER in there.

I just wanted to post this and ask you all to join me in sending positive, healing vibes her way. I want so badly for this to go well and smoothly for her. She's a wonderful, beautiful, strong woman - and she deserves it!!! :)

2. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Healing thoughts for your mama.

I hope things go well, so she can be well.

:)
    :)

3. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Hope things go well :)

4. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

I know a woman who had that sort of reconstruction. It did wonders for her, emotionally as well as physically.

sending lots of positive thoughts and ~~~~~healing vibes~~~~~~ for your mama!!

5. Brand New Soul

Brand New Soul Senior Member

Ppsitive thoughts and vibes for hummblebees mama. Hope everything goes well. And congrads to your mom on winning the battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

6. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

{{{Hugs}}} and sending positive vibes...keep us updated! :)

7. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

I will, and thank you all! Sometimes I think I'm worrying too much... but my mama's just been through so much already these last couple of years. We've always been really close, and a couple of months ago I was down there visiting during a really hard time - she suddenly got really curious about what happend to her and for the first time, asked my dad to fill in the blanks from her 2 week coma. It was so hard to face, with her, how close she really did come to death.

My mom and I have always been really close - a perfect example of the great relationship effect of extended breastfeeding.

Thanks again for your kind words and thoughts!

8. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Your mother sounds like a wonderful woman hummblebee.

Keep staying strong.

{{{Hugs}}}

9. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Wow, hummblebee, let her know how you feel. How long did you nurse (Jeez, I NEVER ask people this, for the most part, but it's cool when adults remember being breastfed.) My dad was breastfed until he was 3 or 4 and he remembers it. Let her know you appreciate it.

Blessings and healing to your mommy.

10. Zeppelingirl

Zeppelingirl Member

I said a prayer for her :) I hope everything goes well.

11. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

My mom is also a BCancer survivor. She opted for a lumpectomy and the chemo/radiation treatments. I understand the worry you felt/feel/will continue to feel. Good thoughts and positive vibes to you and your whole family!

12. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

I nursed till just before my fourth birthday. It was a big deal for us, because though she let all the kids in the family (I was third, of four) wean when they were ready, I hung on longer than the others. It got to the point where many of her family and friends would comment about it negatively (even some members of the LLL group she LED) Even in front of me, or while I nursed. I was very aware of what she was doing for me, even then. I try my hardest to tell her how much I appreciate it, and I hope she knows.

I guess maybe that's why this is so close to my heart - it's not just that I'm extra-close to her, but I know what her breasts really mean to her also...

13. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

Best wishes for your mom! She sounds like an amazing woman!

14. fritz

fritz Heathen

All my best goes out to your mom. Sounds like she's been through a lot. ((((big hugs & healing vibes))))

15. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

Vibes and goodnss flowing out from here. :)

16. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Hey everyone! Haven't been up here much lately - life's been crazy!

I just wanted to update everyone on my wonderful mommy. She had her surgery on the 17th and was released from the hospital on Friday evening. It will take her some more time to really heal, and considering her previous history her doc's orders are basically to go nowhere and do nothing for as long as she can stand. She has the rest of the month off (she's a minister and July is her sebatical month) so that's good. Every time I talk to her, even though she's sore and wants to be back on her feet, she sounds happier than she has in ages.

Unfortunatly, the lease on their place ran out and they decided to get a new apartment. I guess they had a bunch of people from their church help my dad pack everything up and move it over, so now they're in a new place. The good thing about this is it forced him to take some time off - so while she's healing up she'll always have company and be able to just point and tell him where she wants things to go!

In any case, she sounds very happy about her new boob and now I feel like we're "out of the woods" with her surgery (having her in the hospital always makes me so darn nervous now!) so I just wanted to let y'all know! :)