popular bands you think have been-

Discussion in 'Music' started by boguskyle, Oct 20, 2010.

1. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

-underrated because they are popular. curious to know if you guys have any to name.

i'm listening to Panic At The Disco's album Pretty Odd and it made me make this thread, along with the music video thread.

this album has the most unique and greatest melodies all in one album probably i know besides the beatles. tonight i suggested this album to two people and the name of the band just completely washed away the opportunity to admire them. :/

2. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Are you sure it was the name of the band alone, and not the history of the band?

Their first album SUCKED.

I've only heard the first single from this one, and that was worse than their whole first album, so I don't feel too optimistic about it..

On a positive note, however, I do find this a rather interesting topic for a thread =)

UPDATE:
    The only thing I can think to contribute is Mindless Self Indulgence got bigger and bigger and then all of a sudden one day it was really popular to hate them, and it was right before they sold out...

Also, I checked out two more of the Panic songs and hated them.

3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

On and On by Jack Johnson is a great album. Lyrically one of the best albums of the past decade and features some of his best guitar work/song craft.

4. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

their album was good for their exclusive small-tasted clique audience, but sucked for everyone else. their second album was amazing imo. like i think the melodies could've gone through some history if it wasn't for a hateful and sucky music industry. and i only say this cuz the second album was an extremely different approach than their first album. just my opinion tho

yeah mindless self-indulgence seems like one for that to happen.

which songs did you listen to? and what'd you not like about them?

5. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Dave Matthews Band too. But it seems like they are hated more because of who they are popular with (frat boys). But they're not as good these days..
    Something about a Green Gentleman and I already forget the title of the other one..
    The latter one started out with some really cool clashing sounds; but both were very bland, generic, forgettable pop with grating vocals.

I mean, like most things I don't like, I simply couldn't find a reason to like it :)

6. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

lol good enough reason :cheers2:

i dont like that green gentlemen song myself.
    i like the songs From A Mountain In The Middle Of The Cabins and She Had The World. those are very good.

im gonna check out this album tommorow as i am guilty to ignore jack johnson because he is popular.

7. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

May I share my humble opinion of Panic at the Disco? I think they are wonderful, and both albums would actually spring to mind for me personally. I'm glad someone else appreciates that they were more than an 'emo' and. The same goes for Brand New, a really fantastic group let down by a crappy label.

A.F.I had a great solid discography before 'Sing The Sorrow', which even a lot of critics laud as their first album. I think it was their sixth.

H.I.M released Love Metal and though many mocked it, I discovered that these same people secretly enjoyed the album, it was fantastic start to finish. People consider them 'chick' music, just because they talk about feelings.

The Misfits, after Danzig, released both American Psycho and Famous Monsters. They were great, but too many old fans wont give them a chance. Michale Graves was a great replacement and took the band in a great new direction.

Vapor Transmission by Orgy was a very enjoyable album. As was the first Slipknot album, Cradle of Filth's ' Midian was a benchmark in black metal, The Smiths' Strangeways... album was pretty much as good as the Queen is dead- and Purple Rain might be the best sound track of all time, which too many people would hate to admit.

And finally, for the British amongst you, I actually enjoyed the second and third Will Young albums. He is a Pop Idol winner, the original winner, and was signed at a time when they cared about actually creating a star- not cashing in off someone's momentary fame.

8. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

^My 2 favorite AFI albums:
    Black Sails in the Sunset and Art of Drowning

9. The Imaginary Being

It's a shame there are so many 'punks' out there who refuse to listen to those two albums. They are modern classics, they captured a sound no other band has- but many are trying to replicate.

It's not you're standard punk affair. And anyways, I love the way they have changed from their punk rock roots, into hardcore, then goth punk and I suppose by Sing The Sorrow at least- released a refreshing pop rock album. Jade Guitar work on that CD was incredibly understated.

But yeah, I agree about those two CD's, probably their best era.

10. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

They're certainly not underrated in any way and I can't really think of Many people who dislike them because they are popular but

The Rolling Stones- exile on mainstreet

It is an amazing album and critically acclaimed but it doesn't seem to be all that well known by alot of my peers. It doesn't really have any of their huge hits but its a double album that's filled with just dirty ass groovin blues music. The songs are so loose like half of them sound as if backup musicians walked in the middle of the recording session, sat down and started playing an instrument.

11. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

AFi has been amazing throughout their whole career. love them. remeniscent of high school for me

i'm curious on a small question. have u guys heard Blaqk Audio? if so what do you think? strange project if i do say so myself. kinda too uncollected for me with a too uncomfortable style.

12. The Imaginary Being

I didn't like Crash Love, probably the only album I just can't gel with :(

and yeah I have the Blaqk Audio album, and the B-sides/new songs. I think they are great, i'm more excited about their new album than any AFI one- the second should be out within a few months :D

I love VNV Nation, so although it's a blatant rip off, I like Blaqk Audio writing songs in a similar fashion. My favourite tracks are Cities of Night, Bitter For Sweet and Mute.

'fuck love give me fire' ;)

13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Hybrid theory by linkin park was pretty good.

Not sure its underrated though but I do know people these days who hear the name linkin park and are turned off immeadiately including myself.

14. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

i got sucked into blaqk audio until i was kinda made fun of/ criticized for my taste of music and i made a change for a different path. so im downloading cexcells again after about 2 years right now to remember everything. this'll be very interesting.

and i'm writing everything down every band that's appearing on this thread. keep em coming guys.

linkin park actually interests me cuz the the screamo hardcore they used to be into. then i heard a song from their new album and it wasnt as bad as i thought. ill investigate them too

15. The Imaginary Being

Check out Bloodsport by the Sneaker Pimps and Human Racing by Nik Kershaw. Both were hugely popular at a time, the latter was a UK smash but people have forgotten how good it was.

The Sneaker Pimps' first album was a huge success, and Bloodsport was not, and I think due to the nature of the bands fame in the nineties- it deserves to be mentioned.

16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Does that sneaker pimps album have '6 underground' on it? That's the only sneaker pimps song I've heard.

17. The Imaginary Being

The first one had that and Spin Spin Sugar on it, yeah. It's a good album and kind of forgotten about- but I believe the second and third deserve way more credit because they are just better.

18. MoonBunny

MoonBunny Guest

This one is a hard one to judge because I don't listen to much mainstream or popular acts... Well, I do but popular within a certain group. I do like Florence and the Machine, however I am not sure if that counts considering I have not heard much hate on the act. Hmmm... I guess Madonna is a good one because she gets a lot of hate but no one is like her. Yes, people mimic her but she is original and had a lot of good hits. She is one of the few pop artist that have lasted through the ages. Even today she makes hits.

I guess also The Killers (I guess I have more then I thought) but they are just a personal preference. I think they sound like a decent band and I liked a lot of their hit songs.

19. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

florence + the machine is very different than the rest of the pop music right now. big kudos to them. watched a performance on youtube of her/them and it was impressive. the style was like opera almost.

the killers i agree with. check out Brandon Flower's solo album too it's pretty good and interesting