Poll shows 29 percent of voters think 'armed revolution' might be needed

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by DocWho, May 3, 2013.

1. DocWho

DocWho Member

> We knew distrust of government was high. But a new poll shows that suspicion reaching new levels.
    According to a survey from Fairleigh Dickinson University, nearly a third of registered voters -- 29 percent -- believe an "armed revolution" might be necessary in the next few years in order to protect liberties.

> The poll from the university's PublicMind explored perceptions regarding Congress' latest gun control push as well as the Sandy Hook mass shooting. That legislative push, launched in the wake of the Connecticut shooting, fizzled last month after the Senate blocked a bill that would have expanded background checks.

> The poll showed 50 percent of voters still believe Congress should pass laws to protect the public from gun violence, while 39 percent say the opposite. But there is a huge partisan divide. Among Republicans, 65 percent don't see new laws as necessary.

> And the survey could help explain why applications for gun permits have hit record highs and retailers report ammo has been flying off the shelves. Not only are gun owners worried about new gun laws, but the poll suggests some voters think a revolution could be on the horizon.
    Asked whether an armed revolution might soon be necessary to protect liberties, 29 percent said yes.

> Another 47 percent said no, while the rest were either unsure or declined to answer.

> Of those who said yes, 44 percent were Republicans. Most of those who said yes also did not support more gun control legislation.
    The poll of 863 registered voters was conducted April 22-28. It had a margin of error of 3.4 percentage points.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/05/02/poll-shows-2-percent-voters-think-armed-revolution-might-be-needed/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fpolitics+%28Int

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there is one thing i trust less then governments, and that is economic interests, when they set about usurping them, and then trying to pretend their monopolies equal our freedom.

snowtiggernd likes this.
  3. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

That is a really small sample to come to such conclusions with.
    I would like to see the same poll with a sample in the multiple thousands to get a more accurate conclusion.

Although I found the educational differences in those polled to be the most telling and most reliable indicator of what a respondents answers may be; in a nutshell, the more educated the less likely to buy into "conspiracy" type scenarios and more likely to examine the facts.

Distant Lover likes this.
  4. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Agreed in regards to the sample size.

I also agree that the apparent correlation between education levels and their answers is quite interesting.. Still, I think one should be careful of reading too much into that and drawing any solid conclusions from it. After all, education is not the same as intelligence.

5. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Ain't that the truth.:2thumbsup:

6. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

LOL FoxNews.

Where do they even find these people?

7. stoner oxy80

stoner oxy80 *"Senior~Stoned~Member"*

WOW...29% more power to em, america is well armed. i thought i was crazy cause some people thought of that.
    It,s what,s happing in other countries.(there,s alot that don,t vote think that as well)

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

however wrong the american government itself might be. the majority calling for armed revolt, want it for the wrong reasons, and to replace it with something worse.

i'm not saying this on the basis of inertia, or any kind of traditional perspective, but on the basis of their own claims and stated intentions.

the cure for insanity being a worse insanity? sorry, no. i don't by that.

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

would never have thought so when this thread was started.
    (before the chumpster was elected, when we still had obama, who was pretty damd good, even if he had to make lots of compromises, which is the nature of politics)
    i doubt i'll ever be ready to advocte it either.
    not only too many things likely to go wrong,
    but lots of people die doing that, who,
    unless they're being sent to death camps,
    or being 'dissappeared', would not likely have.
    (lets hope we can tell the chumpski, "your fired" legally with impeachment instead of bloodshed)

snowtiggernd likes this.
  10. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

I say we ignore it all and lay down and get stoned and be good little kiddies. It will be just fine if we could just get that damn Trump thrown out and put Hillary where she belongs.
    It will fix itself.