poll for Vegetarians

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by mlinauer, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlinauer

mlinauer Member

Okay just out of curiousity how many of you intake milk products? I am undecided on what type of vegetarian I want to be...I just know that I realy don't like how meat tastes and how it makes me feel. Also do you guys eat eggs?

2. mlinauer

mlinauer Member

as of right now I do allow cheese and milk but that might change depending on how my body reacts to it. I have been following the vegetarian lifestyle for about 6 weeks now and I just love it. Some of the stir frys that I made have been awesome. I feel like a new world has opened to me. If I start annoying anyone please let me know. I am just so excited.

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Every single answer will be different.
    Personally, I don't buy eggs but if I notice a product has them I finish it and make a mental note not to buy it again.
    I call myself lacto because I eat some yogurt and I will eat Indian, which is usually dairy when northern.

4. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

To date, I haven't completely cut eggs & milk from my diet. I don't eat eggs or run around drinking milk, but I will eat things like a cake that has been baked with eggs, or pancakes that have milk as one of the ingredients.

I am slowly cutting these out, as I learn alternatives... like banana or applesauce as an egg substitute :) But for the sake of keeping the peace with family members, I am considering things like continuing to eat birthday cake & such at relatives' houses, where these changes will not have been made.
    love,
    mom

5. trippie_hippie

trippie_hippie Member

i sometimes have a glass of milk or cheese on pizza not a lot though

6. badwolf

badwolf Member

I do not consume any dairy or egg or other animal by-products. Or at least I try my hardest not to.

And I think its awesome that you're excited by being a vegetarian. A lot of people when they first change over, seem to be disappointed about all the foods they can't eat (which is so lame in my opinion because by being vegetarian you have to learn about foods that you may have never tried otherwise).

7. EMMAh

EMMAh Senior Member

I eat cheese, eggs, milk.
    I don't ever drink milk though, it makes me want to gag, but I don't care if it's in stuff I'm eating.

8. ayahuasca

ayahuasca Member

ditto

9. badwolf

badwolf Member

Yeah. I used to gag when my old roommate drank milk. I still have horrible memories from drinking milk as a young kid. Blech.

10. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

yeah pretty much the same - I eat cheese and yogurt (but only the kinds with vegetable rennet & no geletin), I eat free range eggs.

don't drink milk, but that's just beacsue I can't handle the taste (and soy is yummier). If it's cooked into something i don't mind so much though.

That said lately i've been veering towards vegan-ness - not because i am one but because I live in a vegetarian/vegan household. So when I cook i cook with soy and with egg substitutes. Turns out pretty yum :)

11. mlinauer

mlinauer Member

I would really like to thank you all for replying. I am not going to close this poll just yet so if you have not done this poll, please complete it. I kinda like reading what everyone is doing. I am even more excited about being a vegetarian because my wife has decided to join me in this. She is just as excited about doing this.

I could not care less about what I cannot have. The wife and I are experimenting with things that taste good. For instance I made a stir fry tonight that was awesome. I am so glad that you guys have been great to me. I love what other people have been saying and look forward to a long time as a vegetarian. My body is thanking me.

12. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

That's so cool!

good luck in your journey, it's great that you have someone to support you along the way. Yay!

13. YellowBellyHippy

YellowBellyHippy Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Im vegan so no dairy at all for me

14. DQ Veg

DQ Veg JUSTYNA'S TIGER

I drink soy milk, but I do eat eggs and cheese. I feel too weak if I don't-I don't think I'm getting enough protein in my diet if I leave those things out.

15. mlinauer

mlinauer Member

what do you guys think of the clif bars? I was checking them out yesterday and they seem to be loaded with a lot of vitamins that I would need to intake.

16. 3littlebirds

3littlebirds Member

17. Ostard

Ostard Member

Earlier I used milk. But now I'm vegan

18. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

you are going to make it, bro (and sis)!
    THAT's the attitude to have.
    So many posts are "but I love (insert animal product here)! waaah waaah waaah!"

Here are some Waco links. some ar all-south.
    I'd snip but I'm typing blind while my glasses get repaired, so if it isn't black on white I can't see it well.
    http://www.newsville.com/cgi-bin/getfaq?file=news.answers/vegetarian/guide/usa7

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=34860 look for the Wacoan

Waco Health Foods
    1424 Lake Air Drive
    254-772-5743
    Hours: Tuesday to Saturday 9 am to 6 pm
    Closed Sunday & Monday.
    Natural Food Store.
    Directions: From I-35, take Valley Mills Dr exit west. At Lake Air Dr., turn right and this place is on the left.

And Dallas is an option on occasional weekends, yes? (couple hours, isn't it? I always just noticed waco in travels, bever had it as a destination)

look around for a Seventh day adventist church and see if they offer cooking classes (or ask them about best places to shop: SDA are usually veg or fish eaters )

19. mlinauer

mlinauer Member

I just found out that the waco health food store had closed shop. I have been living here for about 1 year and they closed up before I moved here. The goon news is that HEB (grocery store) has expanded and is carrying more vegetarian options. We have been trying to get a whole foods here but they won't put it here because they are afraid of losing business in the dallas and austin store. I am going to start being active in HEB and trying to get them to expand their Organic Veggies area.

20. Echo the Small

Echo the Small Member

Cheese for me. And my mum has a few chickens and a rooster running around her yard so i'll have some poached eggs when I visit from time to time.
    But Milk, yoghurt, cream... Bleh cant take it.
    Soy milk is amazing, Ill go through a litre every copule of days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.