Political Parties: A hindrance to the American Dream

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BeatinFeet69, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Don't believe me just ask our first president

"However [political parties] may now & then serve popular ends, they are likely in the course of time & things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, & unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people & to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."
    George Washington

2. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

My definition of our best Politicians.....

Guys who compile the bet election manifestos during their campaign.......... and then spend their term in office making the best excuses for going back on everything that they promised. ... :yum::yum::yum:

Amerijuanican and BeatinFeet69 like this.
  3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Put more seriously and perhaps a better answer to your post.
    I feel that the main flaw in western democracy is that in order to get elected and remain in office, politicians systematically put the short term desires of the people way ahead of the best longer term interests of the country.

4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Wow, that's actually profound BeatinFeet69. Seems like it holds true, but I don't know if his words had the same meaning back then. But still.. it holds true today! :)

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

But pretty much any accomplishment of the American people has come off the back of a political regime, no? Your presidents pushed to reach the moon first and then all the war involvements politically charged. What else you guys done? :p

Yeah, all politics anyway.

I gotta think the American Dream is a bit of a farce anyway, though I'm ignorant to the education behind it, I gotta assume it's a life of well being and freedom, which isn't really what I see America as. There's "freedoms" other countries certainly don't have, nor want, but this doesn't make a person or a civilisation free to any degree, they pretty much stuck under ruling political agendas that nobody can get up from underneath of. I couldn't classify that as freedom at all. Like every other country, they're still subjected to laws and doctrines not of their choosing. I think once you're subjected to these things, whether you agree or not, that pretty much takes the freedom aspect out of the argument. Subjection is no freedom. Maybe the American dream is a metaphor for the American dream. It's just a dream and not realistic possibility?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018