Political beliefs?

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by Adamskiffle, Dec 13, 2019.

1. She could disagree with me on issues, of course. That wouldn't even be surprising. But I could never see myself with someone who was a fan of Trump.

ncbumpkin likes this.
  2. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

It depends what their beliefs are. I would never date a racist for example.

3. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

No. I detest right wingers, and their absolutely antisocial, anti-human ways of thinking, and a chance for some poontang's not gonna change that.

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm married to a woman with totally differing political beliefs and opinions and I've been with her for near 17 years now and not once have our differences ever attributed to an argument or a fight and the reason for that is respect and values we hold for one another that we might feel different about things, but those things make up our individual make ups which we adore about one another.

We basically became friends based on our differences, she'd never met anybody like me in regards to anything in my life and those differences forged something very special between us, something so special that even our differences haven't even made an imprint on who we are as a married couple now or any of relationship we previously had had together.

The truth is, had either one of us said no I can't be with this person because our values aren't the same then we'd have legitimately culled the percentages down of meeting anybody we might have actually loved.

The morale of my post is; don't be a dickhead. Politics should not define a relationship or have any bearing on the characteristic qualities of a person in which I know this to be true, because I'm a living, breathing element in a relationship that puts a lot others to shame which was bridged on and galvanised by being different.

Orison likes this.
  5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

See, although it is clear I, who am in a country with another political dynamic, have a much easier time finding a possible match with differing political views than someone in your country's black and white political landscape i still have the feeling you are one of the americans who see it unneccesary black and white. There are more views than those two parties. Not everyone who doesn't vote is without political views. Not everyone with political views is actively busy with politics. So there are a lot of options dating and relationshipwise.

There's not much to debate if you both have the same political views.

soulcompromise likes this.
  6. Asmodean

I could date someone with some racist ideas. But not if they use it to actively discriminate. 2 different things.
    I rather date a person who is honest about an unpopular conviction they have on controversial subject and who realizes that just having that opinion or conviction on itself is not dubious (its if and how a person acts on it), than someone who goes out of their way to avoid controversy (because it might be perceived as active racist discrimination)

Mysteron likes this.
  7. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Beach Ball Lady Balls Banned

This is a really interesting question. If you said no, you are a bigot. Really shows the extremists amongst us. Unwilling to give someone a chance unless they think like you. I see many left leaning bigots in here. I would date someone with a different political view for the bantering and debated with them and have a great time doing it, followed by fucking like bunnies.

8. Asmodean

You're quick to judge. It would depend why they say no.

9. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Look up the definition of bigot, I didn’t judge them as that, they revealed themselves as bigots. those that wouldn’t date someone based on their opinion defined them selves as bigots due to their unwillingness to date someone based on their political views.

Bigot: a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

I understand that English is not your first language, glad I could help you out. :)

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

It isnt bigoted to want to be with someone who holds a similar value system as yourself

Also asmo has a better command of the English language then a lot of native English speakers around here

11. Beach Ball Lady Balls

I beg to differ. You are a bigot as per the definition. You would not date a person who is right wing simply because that is what they are in your view, simply right wing. Which to you is what? A racist? Elitist? Uncaring? An animal hater? Etc...?

No need for you to defend asmoman, he can hold his own. Even me being nice and helping him with his growing knowledge/understanding of the English language, you become prickly.

12. Asmodean

They do not have to be intolerant of them, it depends on the exact reason why they wouldn't date someone with different or even opposite political views. You assume intolerance ;)

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I just happened to notice in a post earlier you used "is" when you should have used "are" and "their" when you should have used there. Nothing makes me pricklier than a native english speaker with a bad grasp of the language insulting someone who speaks it as their second language ;)

As for the rest, I never said I wouldnt date someone who falls to the right politically.
    But people are allowed to decide what sort of person matches them best romantically and to decide what sort of thing is important to them when choosing a romantic partner. Having standards doesn't make someone a bigot.

parua and Tyrsonswood like this.
  14. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Yes very true asmo, I assumed this by reading today’s posts and previous posts where she gets very angry at opposing views to her own.

15. Beach Ball Lady Balls

This question is if you would date someone with a different political belief. You equated this to your left wing value system and moral compass.

Thank you for trying to edit my post. You are wrong , but, by your standards, that sentence should read, you is wrong. I said “based on Their opinion,” and you think this should be there? There is in reference to a place or position, location. Their is in reference to a group of people. The other references you gave are also incorrect. Get a little more prickly with yourself, since you hate it so much. Hope that helps. :).

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

A lot of people one day will take a good long hard look at themselves in the future and if they haven't succeeded in finding a reputable suitor they'll just have egg all over their faces for dismissing the qualities that matter about someone and for having ardent disrespect for anybody different than themselves, which must be a huge self absorvive trait of one's self anyway I'm actually slightly jealous I'm not actually that big of a fuckwit in my every day life, I've got ground to cover holy shit... But it's just so garbage to me too im glad I'm not that self absorbed at the same time.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

No, I said my political beliefs are borne out of my value system. My value system is neither left or right wing, why would it be?

As for the rest of your post...lol.

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

my primary political view is that everyone should fuck like bunnies, so it would be tough to do that with someone who views the opposite.

Beach Ball Lady Balls likes this.
  19. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Actually scientific studies show that moral compass and values are a social construct which is borne out of your political beliefs and the group you stand behind. You don’t have a moral compass derived from your own ideas. People tend to forgive things that are done by politicians on their own sides, pretend it was nothing, yet, they would claim it is morally over the line on the other side.

Harm & care. It is wrong to hurt people; it is good to relieve suffering. These tend to be associated Democrats/liberals, which is not true.

Fairness & reciprocity. Justice and fairness are good; people have certain rights that need to be upheld in social interactions. These morals tend to be associated with Democrats/liberals , which is not true.

In-group loyalty. People should be true to their group and be wary of threats from the outside. betrayal is bad. This tends to be attributed to republicans/conservatives, which is not true.

Authority & respect. Law and order is necessary to protect people from harm. This tends to be attributed with republican concerns, again, not true.

If the original political question had nothing to do with your response to the question, your moral compass political side response, why would respond to the question at all? Why not just say no, rather than making this about your moral compass, which is political?

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Next time I'll be sure to run my answer by you first to make sure it meets your approval

eggsprog likes this.