Police State USA

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Well, considering the terrorist threat is real and not just an excuse to steal our freedoms while raping and pillaging foreign countries that don't even have a real military, terrorists kill a very small number of people every year. A number that pales significantly to the number of people killed in automobile accidents, choking, suicide, heart attack, etc. So why should this require living in constant fear and accepting total tyranny? I'd rather worry about getting killed by terrorists and living in a free country. But so much for that.

I guess some people just like being coddled by the state from infancy to death. I guess to them it's better than constantly fretting over non-existent bogeymen like Osama bin Laden (oh but thank god our wonderful government disposed of him).

"Live free or die" ... what significance does that have?

2. Pressed_Rat

LOL! Man, there are some hardcore authoritarian bootlickers out there. Wow!! I hate to pigeonhole, but it's usually the hardcore liberals. Not necessarily the long-haired progressive types you find on college campuses (they're bad, too), but the yuppie types who vote Obama, have a FAT pension from their government jobs and drive a Prius.

3. acuarela

acuarela Member

Complete exaggeration, but I think most of the people watching enjoy it. It's their action movie of the day. It also shows how inefficient our police, military is, if it takes all that to catch two stupid kids.

The reaction caused a lot more terror than the bombs itself.

4. Pressed_Rat

Yes, I absolutely agree.

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

you should re-consult with doctor

the prozac doesnt seem to be enough

6. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The photos make me feel uneasy and worried about being controlled.

7. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

No, it didn't. Not at all. Come to Watertown and ask people what they think.

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

Aclu.. hahaah.. funny fuckers they are,.. where were they when the police killed my brother> arresting me for his crimes, violating my right to due process.. ACLU what a joke..

Quit treating me like Im a Yankees fan ...

9. acuarela

acuarela Member

I don't have to, because it's not an isolated issue that is only experienced in Watertown.

10. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

That way you don't have to change your mind.

11. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

SWAT teams have been around since what, 1970? You don't see them around much because they are seldom needed.

The idea behind them goes along with an old Southern saying, "You don't bring a knife to a gunfight." If a criminal uses military weapons and tactics, expect the government to show up with whatever it takes to win. Their main objective is not to give you a fair chance to win. ;)

12. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

I am very scared of getting shot in the street...By police.

13. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

I felt more free in China (in many respects), lets just put it that way.

Never mind the issue of "is this a police state or not." It is.

14. lode

lode Banned

It's overkill, sure. But I don't nessecarily think overreactions are unnatural either, a bombs hurt 170 people during a marathon, and it scared a lot of people.

And while I do worry about the very real police state we have, I don't think the operation during this particular example was an egregious example of that.

Though I haven't been paying too much attention to this one. It's tragic, but I try to limit my media exposure when something like this or Newtown happens, because I think media overexposure to it creates a panic.

There are actually a lot of examples of PTSD symptoms from media overexposure after things like this.

15. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I agree with this.

If I was the guy in charge of dispatching swat, YES, I would bring them in, in force, in this situation -- it's exactly what they're for. Responding to a bombing with SWAT is not being a police state, using the media distraction of a bombing to sneak cispa through is being a police state.

The whole cispa thing is disturbing, because they know they can do anything they want, as long as nobody's watching at that moment. Nobody will lose an election for passing cispa, even if they could win an election for saying that they would not. Just like voting against pot won't lose elections, when over half of america wants legal pot.

16. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

The politicians and govt officials are trying to capitalize off it. Surprising McCain hasn't yet called for carpet bombing of Chechnya.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...intelligence-opportunity-legal-183858408.html

"Immediately after Dzhokhar’s capture, federal prosecutors stirred controversy in legal circles by refusing to grant Dzhokhar his Miranda rights against self-incrimination, citing public safety concerns.

“There’s a need to immediately question the guy whether you Mirandize him or not to save lives,” Roper said. “The question is how far do you go before it turns into a custodial interrogation?”

Republican Senators John McCain of Arizona and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina went a step further, suggesting Dzhokhar be treated as an enemy combatant like a soldier captured in war. The move drew the ire of longtime McCain aide and speechwriter Mark Salter."

17. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

^^^ That!

You could also say this police action was about the same thing as when the military does their war games. Anybody having fun yet?

18. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

:party:

19. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

The media propaganda is doing its thing. Fox News has a banner on its screen that says the uncle called the suspects losers. Fox didn't run any banner about the other relatives who say that the FBI set up the brothers.

20. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

Nice glamorizing touch how Brian Williams of NBC mentioned the movie Dark Zero Thirty during the final moments of the standoff with the younger brother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.