Poetry Contest

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by JJ DIAMOND, Aug 16, 2005.

1. JJ DIAMOND

JJ DIAMOND Member

I READ SOME OF THE POEMS IN THIS FORUM AND ALOT OF YOU REALLY HAVE TALENT, SO IF YOU NEVER BEEN PUBLISHED ENTER A CONTEST AND HAVE FUN , I HAVE OVER A DOZEN PUBLISHED ON THIS SITE. WWW.POETRY.COM
    GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY.

2. iscreamchocolate

iscreamchocolate Senior Member

i put a bunch of poems in there... I won a couple times... but they don't actually give you a prize.. it's all spam.. You have to buy their book with your poem in it and the book is a ton of money.. and then they just keep sending you junk mail and they keep saying you have won... trust me it's really annoying. I was a little crushed about it, I got all excited that I won, then my dreams went out the window at least for that place.

3. iscreamchocolate

i have a bunch of poems published on the site... but the whole contest thing is spam...

4. Lainey

Lainey Member

same thing happened to me

5. iscreamchocolate

yea... I remember I got all excited about it.. and then my mom told me that aweful news and I totally broke down...

6. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Yes, poetry.com is spam. I had a lot of my poems "published", but I will not waste my money on that silly book with a corny title.

7. iscreamchocolate

what was the title of the book again?? I forget. I want to see how corny the title is.

8. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

They always change them... I have had mine in a couple of them, they always come in the mail and I throw them away. Stuff like "The Flow of words", or "Magical Mystery", and such.

9. iscreamchocolate

haha... you actually get the books?? did you pay for them?? are they hard cover? or those dinky little readers digest type?

10. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I didn't pay for them. I didn't want them. They appear to be hardcover in the pictures.

11. Lozi

Lozi Senior Member

allpoetry.com is good
    it's kind of like here, there's a community of likeminded writers etc you can enter contests and you win points which puts your status higher or something, but it's a nice way to get critiques on your writing and reading other peoples too....

12. scarlettrhymes

scarlettrhymes Member

Me too, I got published too,..but never saw it cause I wouldn't shell out the $60 for the book. I also saposedly won the " Silver Medal" and they've been inviting me to their stupid "Awards Ceramony " for 2 years now.

Only 400 dollars for tickets and airfare, and I'll get a stupid trophy worth 10 bucks !!
    what kinda bullshit is that...They prey on gullible artists. Shame!

13. SoFarAway

SoFarAway Friendly Fried Guy

Register on the Def Poetry website, if your stuff gets chosen you could be reading your own poetry on TV some day.

There's something to shoot for, that isn't a scam.

14. JJ DIAMOND

JJ DIAMOND Member

well guys alot of you already know about the site,but theres one good advantage to getting published any way you can. Im currently working on my own book and because Im already published I can use that to my advantage working with the publisher,in other words Im an author and no stranger to the poetry world it gives me a little edge. Its hard getting publised when nobody ever heard of you, and it beefs up my resume know what I mean.

15. JJ DIAMOND

JJ DIAMOND Member

Lozi thanks for the site Im always trying new ways to spread my poems around
    Thanks kido.

16. iscreamchocolate

haha yea that so stupid!!! all a pile of bullshit

17. Lozi

Lozi Senior Member

no problemo JJ

18. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

the poem of the day is ass

19. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

20. realityneversticks

realityneversticks Member

Yeah well that's good advice. Something worth considering while trying to improve your poetry.