Plants leaves going yellow? Please help

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing Techniques' started by azezal, Apr 2, 2007.

1. azezal

azezal Member

Hi. I have 17 mostly healthy plants. Though I noticed yesterday that on two of them the ends of the leaves have turned yellow. I keep the soil moist and they get plenty of light. They are 10 days old now. Also noticed that some of them fell over when I installed a fan so had to support them. I used miracle grow a couple of days ago for the first time. Please let me know what is causing the edges of the leaves to turn yellow. Thanks.

2. BudBill

BudBill Dark Helmet

If the ends are yellow with the tips turning brown and crispy then you probably over fertilized them. 10 days old is still a wee young for a full dose of ferts. MG is pretty hot meaning backoff the amount that they recommend.

Until they get strong stems the fan should wiggle the leaves. When larger they can handle the breeze better.

3. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

By azezal: " I keep the soil moist"
    Don't keep it moist! Cannabis wants the soil to "dry out", somewhat, in between waterings so that the roots can "breath"! Don't even get me started about MiracalGrow. You need to read back though the older threads so you can avoid making all the same mistakes that have been made before!!!

4. BudBill

BudBill Dark Helmet

For soil, adding perlite to keep a nice airy soil with good drainage always helps.

5. azezal

azezal Member

Hi. Thanks for advice. I am letting the soil dry out now. Just worried that the damage is already done already? A few other plants now are going yellow at the edges of the leaves. If I keep the watering to every few days and use tomato fertiliser instead of miracle grow from now on, will the plants have a chance to recover? Will look into getting perlite. Thanks.

6. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

The two "Deadly Sins" - over watering and overfeeding, followed closely by mag and cal deficiencies and bad ph monitoring. Read, read - study,study - learn, learn!!! Sorry, just venting.

I assume that the plants are in pots. Pick them up and get a feel for how "heavy" they are while they're still pretty moist. Do this at least a couple of times everyday untill you get the hang of it. After a couple of days (more or less) you will notice the pots get a little lighter (it's losing water - that's ok!). More time passes and the pots feel really light (it has lost most of it's water - that's still ok). At around this point you have to learn how dry is too dry. Eventually, the pot feels like it's empty because it's so dry. At some point, the leaves will "soften" and sag a little as the plant starts to show signs of wilting (this is too dry - it is not ok!). The trick is to let the soil get dry, but not too dry, before you add water. The plant will recover very quickly from a "little" wilting. But remember this is a one time experiment - don't ever let it go this far again!!!
    When you do water, especially in a "dry" pot; add the water slowly - a bit at a time. Give it time to soak in, then add a bit more. When the pot feels "almost full" again, it's time to keep your eyes on those drain holes; waiting for that first trickle of excess water - then it's really full. If water starts to pour through before the pot feels full, you have a dry pocket in the pot (that's not a good thing).

7. azezal

azezal Member

Thanks. Will give this a go.