plants in fish bowl

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by RainbowCat, Jan 16, 2005.

1. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

obviously, i have alot of problems makin sure i keep my fish healthy.
    i want to have somthing in my beta's bowl for it to swim around, but i dont know what. i clean out the bowl by pouring the fish into another bowl and dumping out the rest of the water, so i'd have to take out whatever is in the bowl first so it doesnt fall on and hit the beta. but i dont want to put my hands in the bowl because that might scare the beta, and i dont want to have like a wire or string holding onto it so i can pull it out because the fish can get caught and hurt in it. i'm thiking of getting somthing that sticks out of the water so i can pull it out from the top, but i dont know.
    what do you think i should do or buy, if anything

oh, and does a beta need to be in a really warm enviroment, and would putting a lamp next to it help?

2. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

any help?

3. lawngirl

lawngirl Member

hm.. i know there is some sort of grass that will stand up out of the water, and you can see the root coiling under the water.. but im not sure what it's called. i know betas can eat the plants, too. and since the plant comes up out of the water pretty high, it's easy to remove.. plus, the roots are in the water, not under gravel or anything, so you won't disturb them as much. they're a light yet vibrant green, maybe a foot long, and a centemeter or two wide. real thin, though.

if you get a smaller plant, you could remove it from the bowl with some soft tongs when you're changing the water. i guess that can go for anything you put in there. do you have a net?

4. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

no ,i dont have a net.... i am kinda worried about it! i like to keep the beta in water the longest amount of time possible, and in the net it stays out loner. is a net a good idea, though? THANk YOU for the help! can you think of a name for the plant?

5. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

any more help?

6. tokens

tokens Member

Beta's are so cool! I'm not really sure about any plants. But you could go check out some pet shops.
    Our beta doesn't have a plant in his tank, he has a small heater set to 70 degrees.
    We change his water about once every week or so, depending. I've heard online that generally, the smaller the container/tank, the more likely you need to do frequent water changes.

Our beta has some little castles and a skull, also we've taken to putting non fishy items in there. Like mugs and tea cups. Our beta doesn't like clear cups or mugs though, he can't really see them, so he ends up running into them. If you do get a plant, please be sure that your fish can reach the surface of the water because they need to have access to the surface in order to breathe.

That's about all I know about beta fish health. Just for fun, have you ever tried holding a mirror up to your fish tank? Once our little guy sees his reflection he flares. We don't do this very often though, I'm not sure if he likes it or not.

Sorry if I repeated information that you already know. Good luck with your fish.