Pirates Of The Caribbean?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by amarylia, Jun 1, 2004.

1. amarylia

amarylia Member

Hail :D

I just love the mysticism and the fantasy in this movie, 'cose I'm from an island, Madeira Island by the way, and I love the accent and scennery and all the cultural fusion around it, and there'll be a second one for my personal joy :D

Aaah! I wish I were a pirate discovering my native island 600 years ago... :) and those ships, oh man I just love it...

What do u think about this piracy thing? ;)

2. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Dude. I used to practice with swords and when I saw the movie I went and ordered a cutlass off ebay. That bastard never sent it though! I was totally into the movie. Arr. It just really brought me back to the days of Monkey Island.

3. amarylia

amarylia Member

Really? I always wanted to have a personal knife of my own, really personified with flowers marked on it :) ‘cose being a girl I love girly things, in spite of my taste for those piracy adventures. A knife is an instrument for life, for me is quite ancestral and ethnic, ‘bout swords... I don’t think I have muscles to deal with one :D

Hey my bro has sort of your age and he got pretty cool symbols on the net of the movie to apply on the pc, like: say yo to piracy and stuff! I like the cultural fusion and richness, and even I wish I had a personalized knife I totally disagree with violence, violence generates violence…

Anyway Johny Dep really rocked on that drunk-hallucinated-humoristic character! And all the dirtiest pirates around! Quite hip in my opinion :D

4. Pharoah

Pharoah Member

Yup I loved the movie too. Made me really look into real life pirates and how they lived. Like Anne Bonney and Bluebeard, pretty crazy creatures they were. I'm also an Island girl but right now I live in California. But I go back to Terceira once every 2 years and stay for a month or two. Planning on moving to Hawaii!! I'd also LOVE to see Madeira and the other isles around there! I've heard so much about them!!

:)

5. amarylia

amarylia Member

Hey Pharoah :) finally I meet a native island portuguese person around here!

I never went to Açores, deves falar bem português, but I don’t wanna risk because you may not understand for several reasons, many ppl from Açores and Madeira goes emigrating to other countries. I’m living in Lisboa now, I’d love to go to Açores cose I’ve seen so many beautiful pictures of it and I know a few person's from São Miguel from sailing, wich I once practised in Madeira, and some from Terceira and São Miguel here on Lisboa.

The continentals here in Portugal prefer Açores cose the landscape is more generous, I mean Madeira has tooooo many clifs and it’s difficult to on touristic walks, tourists that come to Madeira don’t really get to know the island cose it’s really hard to get to the hidden beautiful places.

Well I really loved the movie and it reminds home :D and there’s a different joy that only islanders own, isn’t that true?

There’s a replica of a Portuguese ship, nau portuguesa, in Madeira called Nau de Santa Maria, St. Mary’s Ship, with the cruzade sails and everything, it goes on sea travels by the shores. I just love the sea ;)

6. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I love the movie, and I am fascinated by pirates and always have been. Incidentally, the ship from that movie was in Humboldt bay (where I live) a month or so ago and I went and looked at it, it was pretty awesome.

7. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

I'm a modern day pirate of sorts...

8. amarylia

amarylia Member

Hey antithesis I wish I had seen that ship too... It’s fascinating.

Here’s a replica of a ship built on purpose for an european exhibition in Lisbon 98 that now takes travels by the shores of my native island, MadeiraIsland, called St. Mary’s Caravel, actually the replica of Colombus ship that once lived in Porto Santo Island (stands for Holly Haurbour), also from Archipelago of Madeira Islands. The other is smaller than the original, but I just love it and the fact that it’s in small size makes it really funny!

I actually searching for a book that talks about the connection of the AtlanticIslands, and of course pirates are in the middle of it.

I was hoping I could find books or novels about pirates, and all the myths: mermaids, giant octopus… Do u know any? :D

9. amarylia

amarylia Member

I can imagine Dark Lunacy :cool:

10. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

This was awesome movie, and I am hearing they are making a sequel of it.. It is very crazy-like.. although I'm not a big fan of the whole pirate deal, I found it very fascinating..

11. metro

metro self-banned

It was entertaining, but you can tell it's a Disney movie. Lots of great looking people in it though!!

12. amarylia

amarylia Member

Yeah metro I agree when you say it's a Disney's movie :) it blew up the fascination of the child in me ;)

13. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Dudes! I just remembered. I saw this movie once, then went again when I was high. Totally awesome experience. I wandered around the mall for half an hour then went "... Pirates... all right" LOL it was awesome. I left the theater going "Arrg" and stuff

14. Carnivore

Carnivore Visitor

Ugh...I hated this movie. I saw it in the theater when it first came out, and felt like I wanted to leave several times. I know that I am definitely in the minority on the matter, but I don't care. This was without a doubt, one of the most overhyped, ridiculous movies I've seen in a long time. I was actually expecting it to be somewhat bad in the first place, being based off a Disney ride, but it was even worse than I expected.

The plot of this movie is totally contrived and ill-conceived. I can't even remember what happened in the movie very well, because I had so much trouble following the convoluted, piece of shit plotline. It seems that the movie wanted to rely much more upon special effects, good-looking actors/actresses, and in general, the same formula that most Hollywood movies follow.

The acting, with the possible exception of Johnny Depp, was pretty bad too. Even Depp wasn't up to his usual standard, I think. He's usually a fantastic actor, or at least I've heard that he is. What was with all of the nodding of his head? I can't recall a moment in the movie where that was explained. Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom were terrible, both completely unrealistic in their portrayals of their characters (Keira was nice to look at, though :) ).

Before you go and name this movie the best of 2003, take a look around first; there are much, much better films out there. I personally do not have very good knowledge of foreign and independent films that have come out in recent years, but from what I've read about them, it seems like they would be far more mind-stimulating than this film is. People argue that this film is original too - nothing could be farther than the truth. While this film updates the usual cliches about pirates into the new millennium, with newly renovated special effects and whatnot, it doesn't change the fact that it's a cliche. That fact, coupled with the poor acting and the poor plotline, makes for a highly unengaging film; truly one of the worst that I've seen in quite some time.

Look beyond the mainstream, people! This is NOT the best that film has to offer!

15. amarylia

amarylia Member

This is NOT my favourite movie :D don’t make laugh to death

I found it a very entertaining movie and a like the subject of piracy, of course the actors acted stupidly ‘cose I think they’re supposed to… well it’s a business they’re do only what they’re paid for, something to distract the urban stress… I would rather prefer that they used the money to do some goodness to the mankind, but hey…

I like the thing of ships and sea and islands because I really have that kind of cultural background and it reminds home from which I’m far away from 2 years now.

The most impressive movie I’ve ever seen is ‘La Vita È Bella’ with Roberto Benigni for primary actor, translated ‘Life is Beautiful’, about discrimination of jews in Mussolini’s Italy. Have you watched it? If not, go for it, it’s a lesson.

Thanks for the 'erudite' comment, but I’m not really into cinema, actually it’s hard for something to catch my attention in the middle of soooo much publicity, for an idea, I don’t watch tv about a month or so…

Thanks again for advising not to elect this movie the 2003’s one, but I don’t really pay much attention for that fourth power of the urbe or something ;)

At least you liked to watch the sea, right? By the way I also love meat :)

Saúde = Health Paz = Peace Amor = Love

16. AquaMoon

AquaMoon Member

I didn't expect this movie to be a Disney / adventure film. I thought it was going to be more serious, so it was weird adjusting to it when it first started off.

However, I did enjoy it and thought it was a good laugh. Johnny Depp has done better stuff yeah, but he can really do no wrong in my eyes.

17. han_tigger

han_tigger Member

This is a great film, i always love disney films and ur right, this did have some elements of disney in it! It both said more about pirates than you normally ever hear and was also so funny, totaly enjoyed it and laughed a lot, but also it was very inspiring! Great acting, Johny Depp is always great, he really seems like the person he plays in every different character! Great film!

Hannah.
    handcrafted jewellery: http://www.surfjewels.4t.com

18. amarylia

amarylia Member

Yeah, I'm also allways ready for good laugh ;) enjoy

19. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I loved that movie! I thought Johnny Depp was hilarious in it -

20. Terra

Terra Member

I am a huge fan of Johnny Depp! :) He is more than favorite actor to me. I became his fan after Pirates Of The Caribbean and immdiately start reading all the articles about him I could find. The image of his personality I got from there was far more better than I expected.
    By the way, if I sounded like a crazy fangirl, I am not one :p