pink flamingos

Discussion in 'Cult Movies' started by jagerhans, Jul 3, 2006.

1. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

Some weeks ago I watched this gorgeous piece of crap . the only really disappointing thing is that in some reviews the charachters are described as 'hippie' , while in fact it's all a bunch of freaky ill-minded murderers or worse. besides this well the experience was really weird , all the time I didnt realize if I was about to have a real big laugh or puke my last ten meals. now if you've seen the movie you know what i'm talking about, i'm just a little bit curious to discuss with someone who watched it too.

how much is that doggy in the wiindooow?

2. TheLizardQueen

TheLizardQueen horny for knowledge

Ya, I had the misfortune of watching it before bed. Entertaining, to say the least.

3. R. August Croen

R. August Croen Member

I've never seen Pink Flamingos. I'd like to... once... just to say I had.

Back in college, we were supposed to watch it as part of a film class, but somebody high up at the University of Oklahoma had a hissy fit and banned the film. So, our professor said we'd be watching Caligula instead.

I thought my film professor had pulled a clever fast one--substituted one film notorious for its depravity with another--but no. When the lights went out and the screen lit up, that theater was filled to capacity with a mighty confused bunch of film students. This wasn't the infamous 1979 version with Malcolm McDowell. This was some obscure foreign thing dubbed into English. It was slow and boring and talky, and there wasn't so much as a bare nipple in it, let alone any depraved sex or violence. Worse, it had been shot in CinemaScope, and the university projected it without the benefit of an anamorphic lens, so everything came out horizontally squashed, vertically elongated.

For almost three hours, we tried to keep ourselves awake watching these toga-wrapped beanpoles drone on and on, their scrunched-up mouths on their horsey faces not matching the soundtrack. It sucked.

And that was the closest I ever came to seeing Pink Flamingos.

4. Imaginenothing

Imaginenothing Member

I own it....

I love this movie and it ridiculousness.
    VIVA LE EGGMAN!

5. kraftykathy

kraftykathy Member

i have a copy, i got it as a wedding gift (i know, bizarre) 15 years ago, but i couldn't watch the whole thing, i just couldn't stomach it, lol! i did see female trouble, but i don't think that one is near as bad, is it?

i loved how the OP called it 'a gorgeous peice of crap', hahahahahah! that's perfect!

word of advice, don't try to watch it when you're preggo you really WILL puke your last 10 meals, that's why i couldn't make it through, and am forever afraid to watch it now, lol!

kathy

6. familydog

familydog Member

oh pink flamingos, how I love thee, in all your disgusting glory

7. jagerhans

seriously ? Pink Flamingos at school ? that's great, even merely thinking about it.
    But beside all that gross , asshole singers an the rest , one of the most unforgettable scenes is Divine strolling in Baltimore (right?), looks like it was shot from a car, and everyone in the street stops and stares at Divine. That's not 'fiction', it's actual 70's people (of all kinds) that gets suddenly shocked by the appearance of a weird 150-kg drag queen. Simple yet clever candid camera, it's the movie's manifesto: a big slap with some shit on the hand to good taste. it's like saying: yes, i dont give a damn of what you think about me (us) . fuck your morals. that's the poetics , or at least i think so.
    p.s. thanks for the appreciation, kraftykathy.

8. R. August Croen

R. August Croen Member

Yeah, but I was in college from '77 to '82. It was a different world then. My freehand drawing classes actually employed nude models (I hear the university has since prohibited that practice). You could smoke in class (and many of my classmates, as well as quite a few of my professors, did). I recall one of my favorite Lit professors waxing poetic on the virtues of LSD (he later became head of the English department, then stepped down and went back to teaching, because he loved it).

The old college campus just isn't the same anymore. Hell, what is?

9. AriLew

AriLew Member

I'm watching it tonight! Wish me luck!

10. jagerhans

come on , tell us something about it if you please ... in the meantime I've enjoyed myself <i>"desperate living"</i> .
    I expected just another parade of lovely Baltimore weirdos, but that movie is more than this. in fact it's the first 'expressionist' movie i've ever seen. The Mortville scenepainting looks like something from Emil Nolde or Kirchner, in its medley of violent colors and grotesque athmospheres. and beside this, all we had a riot of fun ;-)

11. AriLew

AriLew Member

Wow. Completely intense.
    I enjoy the emotionless theatrical quality to the dialogue/monologue.

But, AHHH what?
    I had no idea.
    These people really are the filthiest people alive.
    I'm referring mostly to the captured impregnated women. Oh god, that hurt my heart.

But I sortof appreciate the strange incest (is it incest?) between crackers and Divine. I meann ahhhhh that shit is god... I don't even know what to say. But the absurdity is frightening and disturbing. Are we supposed to assume Divine is a woman? Or what? Did she give birth to crackers?
    I'm lost.
    but I love it.

12. jagerhans

didn't spend many brain cycles about that matter, but if You like You are even allowed to think that Divine is crackers' queer dad who turned into a hefty, incestuous drag queen, which also adds a 'filth bonus' to the story, HAHAHA!

13. jagerhans

BTW,"if you liked it then..." think about watching "desperate living" too, it's less 'Waters hardcore' but really, really a funny punk fairy tale and a witty surrealist parody of totalitarianism !

"you can kill me but you won't destroy the beauty of fascism!"

14. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

One amazing movie :)

It's so wrong that it's right.

15. jagerhans

guarda "Multiple Maniacs" se lo trovi , o BraveSirRubin , vedrai che risate ! p.s. se sei religioso lascia perdere !

16. movielover

movielover Guest

Pink Flamingos. Bad taste at its best. Hilarious movie.

17. Star Cat

Star Cat Member

I haven't been able to see it, but I keep wondering... is it really THAT "bad" as they say it is?

Also, I keep wondering certain things about it after reading up on it, such as:

Movie reviews say that what happens in the movie really does happen. I'm assuming this only refers to the basic actions and excludes the scenes where hippy chicks get raped in the dungeon and die during childbirth (well okay, that part's obviously pretend for the story's sake), and the scene where children get flashed by a performer (wouldn't Waters and friends get ARRESTED for that)?

I guess what I'm wondering is... exactly how MUCH of this movie's actions are "real"?

18. indian~summer

indian~summer yo ho & a bottle of yum

gorgeous piece of crap indeed
    john waters is a genius
    i love this movie, the grotesqueness of it all
    just oh love it
    it really isn't for everyone..not for the faint of heart
    or the weak of stomach

19. borntobwild

borntobwild Member

John Waters indeed has a twisted mind, but since I found it utterly hilarious, apparently I do also. Not for the squeamish.

20. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

the scene with Divine consuming the fresh dog droppings is the ultimate gross out in movie history.

It wasn’t staged, the dog excrement is real [​IMG]

Hotwater