Pigs Bust Clubs For Job Security?

Discussion in 'Activism' started by worldsofdarkblue, May 7, 2010.

1. worldsofdarkblue

worldsofdarkblue Banned

Although medical marijuana is no longer illegal, two Compassion Clubs got hit this week. Here's the latest report:

Pot club members upset by arrests

Troy Bridgeman

GUELPH — People hoping to fill their prescription for legally prescribed marijuana at the Medical Cannabis Club of Guelph were out of luck Friday.

A number of patrons arrived to find the club locked and a sign on the door that read Closed Friday, May 7, Family Emergency. There was no indication when it will reopen.

The club at 62 Baker St. and other residences were raided Thursday and four people were charged with a variety of drug-related offences. Police seized more than 20 kilograms of dried marijuana, 258 marijuana plants and marijuana-laced baked goods.

“I’ve belonged to the club since they opened,” said Alison Myrden. “I am shocked and saddened as to why police are bothering these people who go out of their way to help people like me feel better.”

Myrden is among the first 20 people to be legally prescribed marijuana in Canada. She suffers from chronic progressive multiple sclerosis and a related condition called tic douloureux, which leaves her with violent facial pain 24 hours a day.

She said only a small percentage of medical marijuana users get their marijuana from government suppliers because the quality is typically bad.

The Health Canada website notes that 4,029 people hold an authorization to possess dried marijuana and 2,841 are authorized to cultivate marijuana using seeds provided by Prairie Plant Systems Inc. based in Saskatchewan.

“None of the compassion clubs are licensed,” said Myrden. “They are quasi-legal and this is what we’ve been fighting for over a decade. They are breaking the law for compassionate reasons. I say that with tongue-in-cheek, being a former corrections officer.”

Bryan Harkies said he has been a member of the cannabis club for a number of years since his doctor prescribed marijuana to treat symptoms of hepatitis C.

“They have a good selection,” Harkies said. “It helps with my appetite and gets me through bouts of depression without anti-depressants. I’ve stopped getting my weed off of bikers and thugs and other street criminals.”

He said his brother Bill was a member while he was fighting terminal cancer.

“It helped him tremendously,” he said.

Harkies said he knows of elderly patients who come here to fill a prescription who will now be forced to look for marijuana on the street.

Russell Barth is an Ottawa-based marijuana activist and standup comedian. He said compassion clubs are targeted by police because they present an example of how legalization can work.

He said when marijuana laws were reformed in the Netherlands, it led to huge layoffs of police.

“Police realize everyday we get closer to reforming the laws here the closer they get to the same kinds of layoffs,” said Barth. “They won’t be able to justify their powers of coercion and intrusion and the budget increases. They’ll lose their power to harass the poor, the young, people of colour and those with non-regulated haircuts.”

He said it is the police who are breaking the law when they bust these clubs.

“It should be noted that on Dec. 10, 1997, Canada’s marijuana laws were declared unconstitutional by Justice Patrick Sheppard, which was upheld by the Ontario Court of Appeal, July 31, 2000,” said Barth.

“This decision was not appealed to the Supreme Court of Canada, and government has not re-enacted a Criminal Code statute upon marijuana. Therefore, marijuana is technically legal, and has been for about 10 years. Licence or no licence, the cops have no valid reason to be bugging pot people.”

He said the federal Conservative government is trying to pass Bill S-10, which will effectively outlaw all compassion clubs.

“If the Tories ever get a majority government, they’ll round us all up.”

2. Archane

Archane Member

Im sorry, but pig bust everything for job security. My life is totally turned upside down right now becasue they 'busted' me for a DUI because I decided to sleep in my car rather than drive anywhere while very mildly intoxicated (0.09) I got no sympathy at court and have the maximum fine and punishment. I have no motivation to do the 'right' thing ever again. This society is so much bullshit.

3. worldsofdarkblue

worldsofdarkblue Banned

Where was the ignition key?

4. Archane

Archane Member

Under the passenger seat.

5. worldsofdarkblue

worldsofdarkblue Banned

Next time put it outside the car - under it, behind a tire. Then you can truthfully say you don't have the keys to start the car.

Also helps to sleep in the back seats. Passenger if that's not possible. Never sit in the driver seat.