Pierced ear on 1 year old baby boy

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by AshtonsMom, Jun 24, 2006.

1. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

as usual, I disagree with the crowd here

truth is, parents make decisions for kids all the time. from what they wear to what they eat. that's the point of being a parent. I wouldn't pierce my son's ears but that's just me and don't see anything wrong with a parent choosing to do so. I had both of my girls' ears pierced at the doctors office as infants and would do it again if I had another girl.

some of the responses in this thread are downright scary. its bullshit. your parents made decisions for you when you were growing up that help make you who you are. if you had different parents that made different decisions, you'd be different. no wonder kids are cussing out their parents and shooting up schools, they are being taught that their parents have no authority over them which leads to an attitude that the world owes them something. I know this thread is on a much smaller scale but its an example of the chipping away of parents' rights to be parents.

2. minkajane

minkajane Member

Missfontella, that attitude is being used to cover a whole host of things these days. Yes, parents make decisions for their kids all the time. But that does not grant them the right to make permanent, painful, unneccessary modifications to their child's body that the child may or may not want later. Parents do not OWN their children. Children are people and have the right to make their own decisions.

Ear piercing (among other things) is 100% cosmetic. It is also painful and carries many risks. Why is it so acceptable for a parent to choose to have holes pokes through a child's ears, just because our culture is used to seeing it?

I really hate the "parents make decisions for their kids all the time" line. It is used to justify everything from ear piercing, to ritual modification, to circumcision, to dozens of other painful, unnecessary procedures. It's not your body, don't mess with it just to fit YOUR aesthetic preferences.

3. missfontella

and child abuse is being used to describe things that are not. ear piercing is not permanent first of all and who are you to deem something unnecessary?
    combing a child's hair can be painful and is also 100% cosmetic, should parents be considered bad parents for doing that too?

everyone has their own opinion but its just that, an opinion. and someone else's opinion about my kid doesn't really count as far as I'm concerned. I've got my reasons and when you have your kids, you'll have yours

4. indescribability

indescribability Not To Be Continued

Can I have your babies?

5. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

I don't think I could drive a hole through my childs head when their a year old.

Piercings are the kind of thing it seems like they should go out and do on their own when their a teen.

6. indescribability

For the same reason it's acceptable for a parent ot choose to have foreskin cut off of a little guys pee-pee. You think he should be old enough to figure that one out for himself as well? :rolleyes:

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

I agree with this.

8. missfontella

sure, but i warn you...they are not authorized to pass on their assassin training and you may have to rent them out to foreign governments on occassion.

9. indescribability

I'm curious as to whether or not the two people that are getting seemingly worked up over this(stinkfoot and minkajane) actually have children of their own?

10. missfontella

oh, and i'm having this kid circumcised(sp) too. so there!

11. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Nope (in my case)-- I have yet to meet the woman I'd want to be mother to my kid(s).

I'm not all that worked up about it- AshtonsMom is going to whatever she wants but she asked and I answered as truthfully (and bluntly) as I could.

If one is not interested in getting non-parents to sound off on such an issue I suggest they either post it in the parenting forum or specify "only parents need resply".

Rest assured, should I ever become a father I won't be forcing any aesthetic modifications onto my offspring. I would expect that at the appropriate time, the kid might bring up the subject if not go out and get it done on his/her own.

12. indescribability

That's a selfish decision. When he's 13 or 14 and old enough to understand the pros and cons of each way, then he should decide for himself and have it done then if he chooses :rolleyes: :confused:

13. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

the fact that this thread is even getting a responce offends me..

the fact that this thread was posted offends me..

and any ANY parent that pierces a childs body,, alters them in any shape form or fashion before the child is old enough to decide for themselves is guilty of abuse,,..

makes me wanna vomit..

but hey what ya choose is yer choice,, i guess you can make the choice to be scum...

14. indescribability

Haha. "Only parents need reply" will not do anything to keep the rest of us from chiming in. I'm sure you know that though.

I was curious because of the fact that you dove much deeper into things than she required. You made a lot of judgements and speculations on her parenting as opposed to just answering the question. Most of the things you said, even in regards to the piercing, were meant, in my opinion, to have a heavier connotation. They say everybody is a perfect parent, until they have children.

15. missfontella

i don't think it was meant like that. its just that when you have kids and everything you do is disapproved of by one person or another, you tend to adopt a more relaxed view of others' parenting decisions

16. minkajane

minkajane Member

Actually, I have a son. He's about 18 months old. He has no holes in his earlobes and very much enjoys playing with his intact foreskin in the bathtub.

17. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

And they thought I was blunt!

18. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

I'm willing to bet that would be the case.

19. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

some things i believe with my soul and being..

should i be anything else but blunt??
    love n light

20. indescribability

Understading and teaching would be better than rude and condemning. Just my humble opinion