physician assisted suicide poll.

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by verminous_plague, Nov 14, 2012.

1. verminous_plague

verminous_plague Banned

give us your honest opinion, put religion and politics aside please.

2. Still Kicking

Still Kicking Members

I vote yes, each persons body is their own to do with as they please.

3. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

I, too, voted yes.

4. Eavesdrop

Eavesdrop Member

People can commit suicide if they want. We don't need to make it legal for doctors to do it for you.

5. verminous_plague

verminous_plague Banned

there in lies the big problem. people don't have access to the drugs and means of doing it properly, pain free and quickly. anyone can jump off a bridge sure but not everyone can get access to barbiturates or cyanide. you see what i mean? and having a doctor ok it would look more humane and reasonable as it should be anyway, i mean the whole hanging oneself or blowing ones head off with a shotgun is so oldfashioned and outdated, can't we get a new age more humane and easy way of doing it? i think so.

6. Eavesdrop

Eavesdrop Member

I get what you're saying but pills can lead to complications. Really only a lethal injection or suffocation with a plastic bag can positively ensure death.

7. verminous_plague

verminous_plague Banned

if a doctor is prescribing them and knows your health then i think it's safe to say he knows the proper amount to kill you. or he could just hook you up to an anesthesia machine until your pulse stops. you know what i mean just real quick and pain free but will do the job. there are so many better alternatives to jumping off a bridge or laying down on train tracks waiting for the inevitable train.

8. ganjabomber

ganjabomber Senior Member

hippocratic oath yo.. doctor's aren't killers and they shouldn't be either.

9. 56olddog

56olddog Member

:iagree:

10. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Put religion and politics aside?

11. misplacedJim

misplacedJim Member

I voted yes. I lost a cousin to cancer years ago and when she started to get really bad...in severe pain they had her so doped up that she had no idea what was going on around her. She was that way for over a week. So if a person is to the point that there is no question that they can't be helped I really don't see why not. I know I wouldn't want to be in that condition even if it was for a day.

12. Nyxx

Nyxx HELLO STALKER

13. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I vote YES, as long as the state has no say in who gets put to death. It should be entirely up to the family.

14. EventHorizon

EventHorizon Member

I voted yes. Doctors should be allowed to assist you in your time of need. If you feel like you need to die, the doctor should be allowed to help you. For any reason.

Naturally if your able to do this yourself, leave the doctor out of it.

15. OceanStar

OceanStar Member

I voted yes although not a US citizen. I believe that in the most extreme cases to deny someone to die with dignity is inhumane. I read an article called:

Contemporary hospice care: the sequestration of​
    the unbounded body and ‘dirty dying’

by Julia Lawton.

The accounts she gives of people with terminal illnesses left to decay and die still haunt me. To think of somebody I love, or even myself having to suffer through that indignity horrifies me.

In cases of terminal illnesses doctors should be allowed to step in and prevent the suffering of their patients. Some doctors clearly wouldn't be comfortable in this role, but others I'm sure would recognise the value in their work.

x

16. nr3c

nr3c Member

Thou shall not kill.

17. Still Kicking

Still Kicking Members

What you say, if it was properly quoted from the Hebrew Bible where it originated, is meant to say "You shall not MURDER". Your statement is the christian bastardized version of something meant only for the Hebrew people. The Hebrews consider it a good thing for Gentiles to try to follow their laws, so long as they don't do it as the Hebrews do, but killing is allowed. Killing is different from murder, by the way.
    Even though suicide should be discouraged if for the wrong reasons, I find it perfectly acceptable in the face of say, living a life with such a debilitating illness that I am unable to function without the aid of numerous machines. That is not life, that is just existing, and without purpose at that.

18. lilredridinthabigbadwolf

lilredridinthabigbadwolf Guest

I personally do believe in this, my reason? everybody that is unfortunate enough to be at the point of either pain,suffering,or know death is knocking at your door..then yes, a doctor with compassion and the persons loved ones by their side..just let them just doze off quietly and happy knowing the suffering will soon be over and everyone was able to say goodbye..then just go to sleep with the ones they love there by their side.:sleeping::bobby:

19. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

No man/women has the right to kill another human being

20. outthere2

outthere2 Senior Member

Of course, but should a person have a right to terminate their own life guided by a physician? I believe so.