Photo shop debate - i fudged up... had cider.. forgive me

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by TheFly, Jan 15, 2005.

1. TheFly

TheFly Member

Cynicism is a result of disaffected idealism... those of us who are card-carrying memebers of the cynical party are there because our life experiences have consistently failed to match our high ideals...

When I was creating artworks, I purposely created work that was there to "push the buttons" of the audience... my work was very confrontational... I wanted people to love it or hate it... why?... in many ways, my art was doing then what I do with Flyology now... the way you reacted to the art spoke volumes about you as a person, just as the way you react to a Rant in Flyology does the same thing... I wanted to create work that would divide the audience... and my hope was that people, particularly those who hated it, would then go away and talk about why they hated it so much... and question the reasons why they reacted against it in such a way...

Funnily enough, my fellow students considered me more as an expert wind-up merchant than a proper artist... in my final year uni, I made the dreadful mistake of wanting the respect of my peers so I tried to become what I considered to be a proper artist doing proper art work... fucking idiot... biggest mistake of my life... completely lost my way and I havn't done anything since...

In my opinion, there is only one thing that classifies as "bad" art... for me, it is art that completely fails to elicit any kind of strong reaction... not helped by living in a world that is swamped by visual imagry and the power of visual is simply decreased by too much stuff...

Neither am I a fan of the culture of galleries... I'm too much of an anti-ellitest to go along with any philosophy that locks art away from the majority of people... one of my major projects at uni involved combining fashion and art... have a piece of art on your jeans... take it out of the galleries and into the street... I love the the soviet idea of those big pieces of public art... big fucking sculpture in the middle of your town that serves no practical purpose whatsoever...

Maybe we should be asking what is the purpose of art (and artists) in an age when anybody with a pc, digital camera and printer is capable of creating something that could be called art?...

Fly...