phantom of the opera

Discussion in 'Movies' started by stoneyJasmine, Jan 24, 2005.

1. stoneyJasmine

stoneyJasmine Member

I was sooo dissapointed in the movie! first off the original broadway cast had nothing to do with it, which just doesnt seem right. 2ND; the songs had been mellowed down so you didnt get the full effect of the production. And finally the actor playing phantom sucked! Hes supposed to be way more mysterious, not to mention have the voice of an angel and i didnt feel that aspect was portrayed.
    but anywho what did you guys think?

2. MossIcon

MossIcon Member

The Phantom of the Auditorium was the best.

3. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

My favorite phantom is the F-4 Phantom made by McDonell Douglas

4. Marlyn

Marlyn Member

I thought the movie was pretty ok, but i've never seen the broadway and im quite familiar with the story of the actual serial killer, Erik Destler.

Anyways doesnt the original broadway have micheal crawford as the phantom? (if im wrong dont shoot me, i never saw it live) cuz i hate his voice. he makes my head want to explode and i prefer Gerard Butlers voice.

And why would they have broadway actors in the movie? It's to my understanding that acting in a play is FAR different than acting in a movie. thats like taking tylenol for cancer treatment!! They have nothing to do with each other, and if im queen of the world thats how it'll stay! as much as i like plays i really prefer movies and their variances.

5. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

I agree with Marlyn. Comparing Broadway to Hollywood is like comparing Chopin to MC Hammer. I still would have liked to see an F4-Phantom with cluster bombs and Tomahawk missiles playing the Phantom, though. That's one bird that can sing many tunes.

6. JayJ

JayJ Member

true enough...you can't compare the two, but they should've gotten the atmosphere right! as stonyjasmine said, it's been mellowed down. the acting was some of the worst ever, so was most of the technical stuff in it. All in all, the movie tried to make it as...grand...as the theatrical production and doesnt always work.

The director's shit anyway. hahah

7. Lozi

Lozi Senior Member

i didn't think the movie was very well dubbed. eep, that's just my opinion though. the singing was average compared to the stage production of 'phantom of the opera'. wasn't too bad though. interesting interpretation i think, but could have been better.

8. Kandahar

Kandahar Banned

For those of you interested in the movie for reasons other than the great music, I suggest you give the silent movie from the 1920s a try. Obviously there's no music in that one, but Phantom of the Opera was one of the best silent movies ever made!

9. Lozi

Lozi Senior Member

oooo who's the director?