Peyote in Australia? How to use?

Discussion in 'Cacti Delecti' started by Lying in a field, Feb 5, 2006.

1. I have been ordering seeds and extracts from an Australian Herb site for a few weeks now. I went over the whole site, scoping every availiable possibility and somehow missed the 'Lophophora williamsii' page, "otherwise known as peyote" is the term used in the description but the usual commentary on psychadelic effects and medicinal uses is missing.

So is that real peyote? if so what uses does the actual cacti have? How would i prepare it for smoking/consuming?

Sorry, these things are basics and you've probably been over this before. Just want some more personal based advice.

2. angerton

angerton Member

Yeah, that's real, but I'm willing to bet it's ridiculously expensive.

Generally, when it's sold online, it's as a rare, neat plant to grow, rather than something to dose. They're usually not old enough, and those small buttons are expensive. It might cost you a few hundred dollars, and a few years of extra growing-it-out before you have anything worth eating. And at that point, most are way too attatched to them to consider eating.

3. Thanks, that makes sense...it definitely wasn't that expensive though, we're talking more like $30, ill have to check, too lazy right now.

4. angerton

angerton Member

Right, 30 dollars for a button... that isn't old enough most likely.
    so *10 would be about 300 for a good experience.

You might be able to get away with eating 5 or 6 big ones in nature, but certainly not cultivated ones as young as what's normally sold.

5. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

Yea it'll cost you a lot man, more of something to do so you can grow your own and be the guy who puts lots of work into growing these things out for years til you reach the pinnacle of the experience: the trip.

6. Yeah, i've been gathering these sentiments. I'm probably going to go for a peruvian torch instead too, as peyote is apparently endangered and mostly harvested from the wild.

7. angerton

angerton Member

A supplier in australia would not have wild peyote. Way too hard to find and import. They're grown domestically, legally, hence the price. Decades ago buttons would sell for cents a piece straight out of the desert.

8. The world of drugs is complicated and full of strage facts and opinions...I'm attributing to the fact that half the people involved are off their nut on something.