Peter Fonda dies at age 79.

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by MeAgain, Aug 16, 2019.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Another sad day.

Fonda died on August 16, 2019, at his home in Los Angeles, from respiratory failure caused by lung cancer.[48]

We'll miss ya dude.

[​IMG]

2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

He called Barack Obama a "fucking traitor" for allowing "foreign boots on our soil telling our military—in this case the Coast Guard—what they can and could not do, and telling us, the citizens of the United States, what we could or could not do.'" [Italics my own] He almost sounded like a Libertarian, but I know better.

3. MeAgain

The above quote was in response to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill and BP.

He recently tweeted that Baron Trump should be kidnapped for his father's treatment of separating immigrant families.
    Actor Peter Fonda prompted an outraged reaction on 20 June 2018, when he suggested in a tweet that he and other opponents of President Donald Trump’s “zero-tolerance” immigration policy should kidnap Trump’s 12-year-old son Barron and “put him in a cage with pedophiles.”

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Ah, who cares about his political opinions, he was an actor

Not like anyones going to expect the guy in Easy rider to be right wing

79 is an alright age to make it to

RIP

Bicaptain My Captain likes this.
  5. Daretobare

Daretobare Member

Ironic how he passes on the anniversary of the movie Easy Rider.
    Ride the wind Captain America!

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

7. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Big fan of Peter Fonda. I also miss both of my parents who also died of lung cancer from smoking

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Peter Fonda was 79 though. I mean, yes technically the cause of death will be lung cancer, but at that age...really....cause of death is being old and you are going to get some kind of cancer anyway.

If you lost either parent earlier Im sorry.

But anyone 80+, no real one cause of death, especially 'from smoking'

And Im not a smoker, think its a gross habit, just that when people talk about octogenarians dying of "smoking related diseases" im like, oh come on, dying of being friggin old diseases.

Keep forgetting Jane is his sister, famous fitness nut, 81 now, will be interesting to see how much longer she lasts compared to her brother the smoker

[​IMG]

9. MeAgain

Peter Fonda wasn't just any actor.
    His father was Henry Fonda, an acclaimed actor who appeared in The Grapes of Wrath, 12 Angry Men, On Golden Pond, etc.
    When Henry Fonda was 14 he saw the lynching of Will Brown by conservative white racists in Omaha, Nebraska.
    The picture below shows Brown's body:
    [​IMG]
    Henry, or Hank, never forgot this incident and it inspired him to become a liberal Democrat.
    Peter and Jane were highly influenced by their father and they also came to question conservative America.

Peter was never a conventional Hollywood actor. He became know as a "dropout", as described by Playboy magazine.
    In the early sixties he grew long hair, took acid with the Beatles and inspired them to write the song She Said She Said. He was also friends with The Byrds.

In 1966 he was arrested during the Sunset Strip Riots for protesting a curfew, which The band Buffalo Springfield Band's song For What it's Worth was about.

He starred in the counter culture film The Wild Angels in 1966, which I remember seeing at the local drive in...we all loved it.
    [​IMG]
    It was almost banned at the Venice Film Festival and was described by one critic as "OK after about 24 beers". But it was the 16th highest earning film of 1966. It started the biker movies.
    In 1967 he stared in The Trip written by Jack Nicholson. It was about about LSD.
    And of course in 68 he made Easy Rider. Robbie Robertson, of The Band, wanted to write the entire score but Pete wisely used a number of rock bands to create one of the best counter culture sound tracks of any movie.

Peter Fonda was a counter culture hero, he will be missed.

morrow and GLENGLEN like this.
  10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

It was actually a Republican that first introduced an anti lynching bill, which was blocked by the democrats in 1922

Curiously its not till 2018 that an anti lynching bill was passed

Dyer Anti-Lynching Bill - Wikipedia

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

by far the worst representation of the LSD experience..

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Just on Will Brown, he was buried in an unmarked grave for 90 years.

It wasnt until 2009, some California guy paid to get him put in a proper burial site.

That means Henry Fonda and ever civil rights leader 1919 to 2009 never thought to check where he was, give the guy a proper burial. Geezus

To put things in persective

13. MeAgain

Well, I guess we'll have to blame old Henry and all the civil rights leaders for Will Brown's fate then.

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Not for his fate of course.

But 90 years in an unmarked grave. Think that does say a lot

Not like it wasnt a well known case

But, in all that time, no one, no one thought to check where he was buried, no historians, no civil rights campaigners, no black people....no one

???

15. Interesting how the parties have changed. Nowadays that would be a Democrat bill getting blocked by Republicans.

16. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

crap, I'm heartbroken.

17. MeAgain

So what?

18. MeAgain

Again, so what?

19. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Says a lot about what, exactly?