PETA

Discussion in 'Protest' started by Disarm, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Disarm

Disarm Member

This is probably because of the selective news coverage I get as a NZer but it seems like People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals goes a bit overboard on some things, do you think this is true or just a result of selective news coverage?

On one of the sites I visit there was a big report of PETA complaining about a kosher slaughtering company because they said it was scary for the animal or something.. Which I thought was kinda silly, for them to focus on

And didn't they make an official complaint about maddox? They certainly wrote to him a few times.

It just seems a bit like they have bigger fish to fry, rather than focus on a group who try their hardest to make it as painless and as easy for the animal as possible (if they don't the meat has to be sold far cheaper) , and some dude who just rants about anything he thinks kids will look up to him for.

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Well, they're basically Nazis.

My way or the highway.

Or, more like my way or I'll throw cow's blood at you wearing your leather coat.

They definitely do more harm than good in trying to get people to convert to vegetarians. Actually, just hearing the world PETA mentioned makes me crave steak.

3. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

News coverage is very, very kind to the peta org.

After having worked up close and personal w/them, one word comes to Mind - terrorists.

4. green_thumb

green_thumb kill your T.V.

They're pretty ridiculous, very extreme. I'm a vegetarian, but I don't terrorize people who eat meat. Peta doesn't really care about all animals anyways, just ones that will get them in the spotlight. One of my professors said his wife wrote them once about the animal cruelty in some reality show and they were totally not interested because it was some obscure animal. There are animals going extinct, those are the ones that need our attention most of all.
    I'm in support of going vegetarian mostly because it benefits the environment. I'm grossed out by meat too. I've only converted 2 people to vegetarianism, but that's pretty good I think, it's not easy. It certainly doesn't work to insult or terrorize people.

5. acetonephish

acetonephish lickage

Sorry, I've got to stick up for PETA.
    In the article about PETA and the kosher slaughter houses, they were protesting it because the slaughter houses were murdering their animals in a rather non-kosher way. For something to be Kosher, the animal must be slaughtered in the most painless way possible, and the way that these slaughter houses were going about slaughtering their animals, the animals were obviously going through more pain than they needed to go through.
    The workers in the "kosher" slaughter houses mutilate the animals while they are still alive and shock them in their faces. Even Rabbis are taking PETA's side on this case:

Rabbi Barry Schwartz, who sits on the Central Conference of American Rabbis’ Task Force on Kashrut, asserts, “The suffering of these animals during slaughter is sickening. Death is neither quick nor merciful.”
    The eminent chief rabbi of Haifa (Israel), Shear-Yashuv Cohen, condemned the actions as “definitely unacceptable by halakhic standards.”

"The slaughter of animals certified as kosher is prescribed by Jewish law. The knife used to cut the neck of an animal must be completely free of nicks or imperfections, and it must be razor sharp so that the animal is almost unaware that it has passed through his or her throat. No pressure may be applied to the blade as it is drawn across the animal’s throat, and the major arteries, trachea, and esophagus must all be severed with absolutely no hesitation and with a continuous stroke. One of the five basic disqualifications of shechitah is the tearing of the trachea and esophagus. At AgriProcessors, cows were first cut by the rabbi, but following that procedure by just a few seconds, another worker, not trained in ritual slaughter, tore the esophagus and trachea out of the conscious animal, clearly in violation of both the intent and the letter of kosher law. "

In the slaughter house, the animals staggered and slipped in blood while their tracheas dangled from their necks. So, obviously, as stated before, it is a major violation of kosher law as well as federal law.

6. Megara

Megara Banned

i think their "your mommy is a murderer" and "animals are equal to jews" campaigns say enough about them as sick and disgusting people.

7. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

PETA is a scam. its another effort by the devil to take kind good intending people, and turn them into ignorant fucks. everyone needs to learn how to stand on thier own, form thier own beliefs, and concentrate on thier own action. joining up with a group like PETA, ELF, churches, governments, gangs, armys, is just going to get you diverted from attaining your own enlightenment. these groops have good intentions, but the devil always is going to stick one of his men in thier at the top to misguide people.

8. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

Wow someone I finally agree with around here. :)

9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

As a reporter who gets PETA releases, it isn't selective. The PR folks all learned from Goebbels and the US WWII poster artists.
    Vialble campaingns, but not run well...except that we are wasting all this bandwidth and time on 'em.
    As for the slaughterhouse, Pottville's abbitoirs are glatt kosher, the strictist of the strict.
    They cater to Hassidim and other ultra orthodoxies and the Lubavitcher Rebbe once made meat-eating seem like a mitzvah/ requirement ( rabbis disagree on this. Some will advocate/support vegetarianism, such as several cheif rabbis in Israel, and some won't, citing a passage that says if you can afford meat, you should buy it. I suspect a translation of MEAT from pre-rabbinic Hebrew could lay this to rest)
    All slaughter is cruel. It's killing. For my personal values, that makes it unacceptable as food, but other have different values and PETA isn't going to win over Jews, or anyone else, on this one.

small joke:
    why do animal activists focus on little old ladies in fur?
    Because the bikers in leather will clobber them.

Want to wear fur? Stop shaving! (my newest bumper sticker)

10. Trotsky311

Trotsky311 Supporters HipForums Supporter

what? i'm a member of p.e.t.a.

'People for the Eating of Tasty Animals'

do i get upset when a shark eats a person? nooooooooooo.

11. Disarm

Disarm Member

That's ridiculous. I'm sorry but it really is. Last I heard: "
    December 17, 2004 Update

The Orthodox Union has posted several articles on their website responding to PETA's charges. Among other things, the Orthodox Union has posted an article discussing a visit to the slaughterhouse by Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Patty Judge. At the beginning of this controversy, she was widely quoted as saying that the video was "disturbing" and that she would shut down the plant if she had jurisdiction.13 However, after visiting the plant personally and observing their practices first hand, she concluded that what she saw was humane. In fact, Judge, who observed her own grandmother slaughtering chickens as a child, commented that the rabbis were more humane with the chickens than her grandmother was.14 This statement was, of course, much less widely quoted, because a statement that kosher slaughter is humane is much less newsworthy than a statement that it is not."
    http://www.jewfaq.org/peta.htm they've been following it from the beginning, so we're probably talking about different slaughterhouses. I don't know any jews who wouldn't buy from an approved kosher slaughterhouse anyway, and it takes a lot to be approved.

That's really weird about PETA..theyre such a large group, arent they? weird...

12. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

PETA activly supports the Animal Liberation Front.

A terrorist group that firebombs animal research facilities.

The advancments from animal research have led to saving millions of lives.

But PETA doesn't support any form of animal research.

Even though the Vice President of PETA, Mary Beth Sweetland is a diabetic.

She depends on the use of Insulin to save her life... which is derived from animal products...

PETA is a violent narcissistic cult.

13. Kiz

Kiz Member

LOL, I'd hardly call it a cult. :D

14. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Rodney Coronado, ringleader of the ALF, who is serving a long prison term for the conviction in several firebombings of animal research facilities.

His family was funneled over $100,000 by PETA after the firebombings took place.

Ingrid Newkirk, founder of PETA called him a 'fine young man.'

If being a convicted aronist makes you a fine young man, what does it take to be a monster.

" Even if animal research led to a cure for aids, we'd still be aginst it."

Ingrid Newkirk,

President of PETA.

15. Kiz

Kiz Member

A vivisectionist? :p

But still, for them or against them, you can't say that any of that makes them a cult. At worst it makes them criminals.

16. Disarm

Disarm Member

I dunno, if my life goes downhill and I become a criminal/arsonist/vandal of some description, it sounds like peta would be great people to know :)

17. Kiz

Kiz Member

I like ALF more than I like PeTA. I could almost see myself being a crazed arsonist.

18. Trotsky311

Trotsky311 Supporters HipForums Supporter

or ELF, you might find them to your liking.

19. Disarm

Disarm Member

whats an ALF/ELF? (Other than something with either a weird nose and brown fur, or coo ears)

20. Megara

Megara Banned

animal liberation front..earth liberation front...terrorist organizations that blow up SUV plants, research facilities etc...