Persistent USB Linux OS.

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Death, May 27, 2013.

1. Death

Death Grim Reaper

I have a laptop with no hard drive... but i still use it all the time. It is a miracle of modern technology that is actually equated to the commodore-era computing methods.

you can make a USB drive function as a hard drive as to keep the computer operational. Most people use this tool for diagnosis and troubleshooting of other peoples computers, etcetra. What it does, is, runs a linux live usb, so you can start a computer without its own original working system. The magic of this is that it will save the information if you make it a persistent USB, so you can install programs, save documents, change all your settings, and all this information is stored on the USB even if you shut it down and stck it in a new computer. IT also saves all your more mundane information like bookmarks, histories, password and field auto-fills, login stuff, WIFI info, basically everything you need to run a system

Now, I run this on an 8 gb flash drive with Lubuntu which i guess is just Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and I'm running it on a 3gb ram with an amd Athlon p320 2core..

but this even works on my Celeron 3.2 with 1g ram.

It has support for every piece of hardware I've plugged it into, and If i put the flash drive into other computers, it recognizes the hardware and everything.

antother advantage is that i can just carry the flash drive with me and plug it into anyone's computer and use it just like it's my own computer...

basically I got into all this because I punched my laptop and broke the hard drive, so i made this USB cuz i'm too cheap to buy a new hard drive... This doesn't leave me much storage, but that's what home networking and cloud storage is all about.

Anyone havve any thoughts?

2. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

I found that running an OS on USB is fine for temporary use, but when you try and use it for everyday purposes the throughput is too slow. I always end up installing it on a hard drive to get any real work done.

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

it will work but the chance it will become corrupted is greater. and ur data loss is even higher. shouldnt really use them as a primary..

4. Death

Death Grim Reaper

every now and then it freezes up for about five seconds while the USB blinks and is loading something. Other than that i can play HD avi files as long as I don't try to skip around in the file..
    never thought about that but yeah. Hadn't planned on putting the family gathering photos on there. Those are about the only thing i've ever decided is acutally worth protecting as far as data goes.. data can generally be replaced.

but yea its definately not my main system. This laptop actually sits on my nightstand in my bedroom so i can just grab it and poke around on it for a few minutes at a time if im being too lazy to get out of bed or being antisocial.

Eventually i'll get a HDD but right now its not a priority. I got two other computers with HDD's in them so i'll be allright. I could save whatever I want on the other computers drives from this one anyway if it was all that.

but as far as retrieval rates go, it is seriously lacking, but it works for screwin around on the web

5. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I've got one of those android TV boxes (MK808) that has android 4.1 Jellybean on the internal flash but it can also boot Linux off the micro SD card in a similar fashion. I've downloaded the special compiled kernel version for the Rockchip 3066. It needs 8GB, I've yet to write it to a card and try it out. Android basically is a Linux kernel with a fancy GUI. You can get one of these boxes off ebay for ~$40, it's my HD media player, browser, and game console all in a tiny box.

Live CD and Flash drive versions of Linux are handy and some are quite impressive. They're always pretty much WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get). The boot loading times can be pretty brutal though. I would expect the flash versions to load up faster than the CD versions, hopefully.

6. tommyhot

tommyhot Member

Throw a new HD in the laptop. It's not hard. Then you can install. My 2006 Macbook HD failed. I replaced the HD and been running various distros on it. Currently Suse. Mint is my favorite though.

7. Death

Death Grim Reaper

cant afford