Penn and Teller spell out the truth about Wal Mart

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by StayLoose1011, Apr 7, 2007.

1. StayLoose1011

StayLoose1011 Senior Member

2. Hobes

Hobes Member

it was alright but it left allot of stuff out. like the fact that wal-marts new plan to fire people after they worked there 7 years. but they don't fire them but put there hours like to 6 a WEEK so they have to quit and then wal-mart does not have to give them anything. after seeing that i gained some respect for wal-mart, lost a LOT of respect for penn and teller

3. Stillravenmad

Stillravenmad Member

I'm somewhat disturbed by the fact that people are citing Penn and Teller as a source. You are aware that they admit to taking things out of context and lying on their horribly unfunny "debunking" show, right?

4. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Member

just rack pure shit and even out the universe (steal pure shit)

5. Captain Zeep

Captain Zeep Acoustic Hero

I think they had some valad points. A person should be willing to look at more than one side of an argument in order to make a valad, informed desicion. I still don't like wal*mart, but not for any of the reasons stated. It's huge, noisy, crouded and you can never get in and out in under half an hour unless it's five o'clock in the morning and you are only buying one thing. My opinion on the worker injustices at wal*mart is: if you don't like the way wal*mart treats it's employees...

... don't work at wal*mart. (duh!)

6. Hobes

Hobes Member

when did they say this. and give me something that is both outside the show and not something that can be twisted.i quote from them would be nice. also i thank it is funny :( :(

7. tripoli

tripoli Member

Penn Jillette can be an arrogant ass.

Believe it or not, the alternative to the naked greed of capitalism that Wal Mart fosters is not abject poverty.

If anything, this proves that the Chinese government is every bit as corrupt as our own if they think that forcing their people to work as virtual slaves is the solution to their problems.

There are people working in Chinese factories for twelve and sixteen hours a day.

There are alternatives.

The world can actually live without more bullshit, piece-of-shit knick knacks.

8. yovo

yovo Member

exacti-fucking-mondo!

I'm going to go ahead and repost something I put in another wallmart thread because I feel it needs to be heard:

HAHAHAHAHA< fucking HA

are you serious? Hire a foul mouthed comedian to take cheapshots at a few easy targets (the alderman, t-shirt couple),then give unintereupted time for some lip service form the THE FUCKING MANHATIN INSTITUTE and some weasly economics academic who epouses the selling of the american dream to 3rd world citizens via the sweatshop and finsih off with some titties...what do you have? Grade A propaganda

I loved how they threw in the most colourful language and patriotic imagery everytime one of the films protaginists raised a potentitally valid point or question. Yes, bullshit indeed.

It's ironic because that anti wall-mart t-shirt depicting wall-marts supposed trailor trash clientel is EXACTLY how the wealthy corporate elite view thier market. Dip-shits like Rupert Murdoch who deliberately use their power via the media and government to erode standards of education, social wellfare and a sense of security and community. Why? To foster a state of fear and corporate dependency because aparently we're too fucking stupid to look after ourselves. Yes we should all be so lucky and gratefull to dawn the blue shmock and uniform of your new world order. Yes thank you wall mart for selling cheap drugs for the chronic medical illness that your synthetic environments have produced.

Sorry Rupert et all, you ain't pullin the wool over my eyes

wake the fuck up people!!!

the human race consumed more in the 20th century then in all it's history combined, we are consumer addicts and wallmart and the likes are the pushers

and certainly not just wallmart, every last fucking bussiness which sells plastic packaged hunks of cheap shit which are intentionaly designed to break in 5 years time so you have to buy it again...the industrial/oil/automobile age is DESPERATELY and AGRESSIVELY trying to hang on in the face of quikcly diminishing and finite resources and the very tactics being used to sustain it will only bring it crashing down sooner

learn to grow food, now, today, this very fucking second

learn to harvest and treat water

learn to build shelter

learn to be a good neighbour

learn to be a good father/mother/brother/sister/friend

give corporate america a swift kick in the arse and tell em your ready to start living life is it was meant to be lived, the american dream is dead don't let it take our life sustaining envrionment and communities down with it

this takes balls and tenacity because there is no easy way out and nothing worth achieving comes without sacrifice

and my apologies for my own colourful language, the issue tends to boil my blood just a tad

9. Captain Zeep

Captain Zeep Acoustic Hero

Why is everyone so upset about walmart specificaly? It's not like they are the only big chain retaliers that do corrupt and immoral shit. What about target, shopko, costco, etc. No one ever mentions them. You all seem to be very angry people. If you don't like walmart don't give them business. Let your money speak for you. Besides, it's not like all walmarts are that bad. The one where I live doesn't do all the nasty things people talk about except mabey the anti-union stuff. I know because I know multiple people who work there and they tell me that it's not worse than any other unskilled labor job.

10. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Captain Zeep, I'd have to agree with you.

I've never understood the absolute anger (or even the mild frustration) that people have with WalMart.

I'll grant you the fact that there is a bit of corporate whorism that exists with such a chain, but shopping at a chain of stores like WalMart is no different than shopping at any certain chain of grocery stores or anywhere else.

How often have we bought our clothes that are a certain brand or from some mass-marketed mall instead of making our own? How often have we shopped at Dominion or Loblaws etc for our groceries instead of supporting a local co-op or growing our own food? How many of us have brand-name anything in our possession? Like batteries, cars, light bulbs, appliances etc?

The only person who has the right to complain about corporate whorism is the person who truly lives off the grid, in the truest form, which I doubt anyone who post in these forums do ~ because if you did, you likely wouldn't even own a computer.

It would make more sense to protest against certain brands of items rather than the store who sells it. The people who work at WalMart ~ whether they're corporate share holders or minimum wage cashiers ~ are doing so for the sake of having a job, just like the rest of us. If anything, WalMart and other such store chains are good for the economy because they employ people in mass amounts and also carry products affordable to people who may otherwise not be able to afford them.

And yes, we're consumer addicts, I'll give you that. There are too many people in our society who are defined by the 'stuff' that we have rather than what we surround ourselves with.

The better thing to do ~ as a wise man once said ~ is to be the example you want to see in the world.

To be honest, I hear people vent about the evils of Wal Mart or whichever other chain of stores, and it's ironic that they feed into the same machine that they're supposedly angry with. It sort of epidimises their ignorance of the world around them.

11. mitten_kitten

mitten_kitten daisymae

I loved the rednecks making Hel*Mart shirts and calling the people who shop there "breeders" who look like cartoon hillbillies. That's classic.