Peak Oil Preparations

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by dudenamedrob, Apr 25, 2007.

1. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

So what are you doing to prepare yourself and your family for peak oil??? I think we've already hit it and now we're slowly rolling down hill gaining speed....I read an analyst report today predicting a 50% decrease in production over the next 5 years, this same analyst is predicting prices approaching $6 a gallon by christmas '07......scary stuff if it proves to be true. So........how are you preparing??? How much time do you believe we have??

Note: While everyone is entitled to their opinion and free speech is paramount I didn't post this to debate, i'm more interested in the specific questions at hand, please respect this.

2. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

I don't use oil that much. I walk to work, school, friends places. Its been that way since I was 16. I guess it would suck though if airline tickets increase, cause I do by tickets now and than (espeically now since i have a French gf). Besides that, I prepare by using my legs, haha.

3. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

You do realize the food supply is dependent on fossil fuels, as is the banking industry, medical industry, computer industry, plastics industry.........our entire economy...the implications of Peak Oil are catastrophic, food shortages, energy wars, heating fuel shortages, collapse of the medical system....complete and total socio-economic collapse........we're looking at a huge decrease in the earths population because of this, millions upon millions in the united states alone........fascists will rise, empires will fall........I could go on...this is the end of the industrial revolution, a "new" dark age.

4. RavenBrain

RavenBrain Member

5. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

I don't really see the point in the "Eye Opener" video you posted, but I strongly recommend the longer one. Though that film is a bit older so I disagree with the "controversial" disclaimer at the beginning, it's kind of like Global Warming.........it was controversial at first but more and more people are accepting it as an inevitable fact. If you haven't already educated yourself on this you need to.............this is happening, NOW!!! This is changing life permanently as we know it, and it's happening faster than previously expected.

6. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

Also RavenBrain, thanks alot for posting brother, education is the key to minimizing the catastrophe.....what are you doing to prepare?

7. RavenBrain

RavenBrain Member

Trust me i understand.....the first vid is exactly what i called it, an eye opener, a light introduction to the doom which is shadowing down on all of us.

8. RavenBrain

RavenBrain Member

Stocking up...learning about self preservation.....trying to warn humanity! I never thought i'd say it but i think i'm gonna miss society!

9. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

Yeah, i'm working on buying 50 acres and setting up my homestead. I've been getting rid of my electronics, buying non-power appliances and tools, my wife is quickly extending her medical education, i'm going to take some classes in horticulture/animal husbandry, i'm learning how to perpetually provide my own food supply through breeding/butchering/growing heirloom varieties, stocking up on lifetime supplies of certain things that will no longer be available, preparing to homeschool my children, collecting books, firearms, medical supplies...........everything we can to survive what's coming.

10. RavenBrain

RavenBrain Member

My brother is taking care of the land and vegetation side...i am working on animal workforces!

11. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

Thanks Raven, that documentary was incredible. That is what we need to be playing in our schools (obviously that could never happen) to change our fate before it's too late.

12. RavenBrain

RavenBrain Member

Unfortunatly it really is too late for educating...now is a time of action!

13. PeaceColors33

PeaceColors33 Member

So my science teacher (a real hip guy <smokes green in the bathroom>)
    he was tellin' me for every 3 things of ethanol we use 1 natural resource
    so the machines that are making the ethanol should be powered be ETHANOL

what ass holes
    its not that hard

14. RavenBrain

RavenBrain Member

GET A GRASP OF THE SITUATION!!! it takes more energy to extract certain resources than we can possibly get from them........

15. Any Color You Like

Any Color You Like Senior Member

Couldn't be more right. I talked about this to my economy teacher and he didn't seem to worry at all. He said the economy would adapt, etc. I thought he'd be the kind of person to be aware of this, but I was wrong, unfortunately.

16. Breakxeggs

Breakxeggs Member

I'm riding my bike

17. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

well Im a member of some peak oil forums powerswitch which is a uk mainly forum http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/
    I also post on http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/
    they have a forum , I tell all my friends try to get them to watch films like crude awakening and end of suburbia .

I read http://globalpublicmedia.com/ and if there are good films on there or on you tube https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peakmoment I try to get friends to watch them .

Im starting to go to meetings of my local transistion town group thats a group that trys to change my local area so its not dependant on fossil fuel , this is the website of my local group
    http://www.transitioncitybristol.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=8&Itemid=47

In my personal life I grow a lot of my own food and plan on growing all my own food , I shop where I can locally , Ive got rid of my cars I walk everywhere I dont have a tv or central heating or a washing machine ( I wash clothes with a antique crank washing machine or with some really big buckets and a clothes dolly much like people still do in africa or they did in the victorian period) to dry clothes I have a mangle and a washing line and a airing cupboard thats heated by my rayburn .

I heat cook and heat water with a rayburn stove, which I run on wood, I repair everything I can and try to make it last as long as I can , I avoid buying anything new apart from things like underwear , I make my living by recycling and recycle or reuse anything I can .
    I try to help groups that are trying to live a more sustainable lifestyle later this year Im going to help build a eco village .
    the only electrical things i have are this computer and electric light , I dont fly and travel where I can by bus or train.

a lot of the things to prepare for peak oil also apply for climate change , and even if you dont believe in either I think the lifestyle changes that you would need to make make more sense, they are also less wasteful and I think a better way to live . W
    e have lots of unfit people if more people spent time gardening and growing their own food instead of having food flown thousands of miles I think we would be better off.

18. forgottenmusicfan

forgottenmusicfan Member

an oil protest would work.

19. RavenBrain

RavenBrain Member

It has gone WAAAAY beyond protest...it is time to prepare for the possible collapse of civilisation

20. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Peak oil is a hoax being promoted by the oil companies to achieve a state of artificial scarcity, thus higher oil prices and more government control.