Patchwork

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by MiniBix, Dec 30, 2004.

1. MiniBix

MiniBix Member

How long does ut usually take for you guys to make something with patchwork? Like pants, skirts, dresses or whatever.

2. Roses are Phree

Roses are Phree Member

I'm an absolute beginner, but the sidepanel pants I made a few days ago took me two or three of hours spread out over two days. It goes fast when you get the hang of it.

I'm working on a skirt now that's gotten a bit complicated thanks to the advice of my mom and sister. I have probably spent upwards of five hours on this thing and it isn't even done.

3. mtnhighgirl

mtnhighgirl Member

I'm currently in the middle of sewing a patchwork skirt. I've probably put in at least 5 hours sewing and maybe an hour or so of cutting. I'm about half way done.This is my first attempt at patch work clothing, I've made baby quilts, but nothing larger. I'm doing it totally ramdom, with different sizes and shapes of patches, which I think is making it more difficult, but it'll look awesome when I'm finished....I hope.

4. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

Depending on what style of patchwork you will be doing...it could tay anywhere from 6 to 12 hours....for a skirt..
    for pants i am not sure because i've only done side panels..and those go really quick..no more than an hour...

it all depends on what style of patches u will be doing.

5. paix

paix Senior Member

rar is right. It also depends on how you're going to do it, if you have a serger, it will be alot quicker, if just a sewing machine, you have to do french seams or iron the exposed edges over twice (to prevent fraying) so it will take alot longer.

Also, big patches take alot less time than tiny ones.

Plan on anywhere from 4 (for big patches) to 12 atleast for very small ones.

6. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

When I sew I always do a straight stich on the machine as well as serge the edges because i like to know that my stuff will not fall apart...

lots of times is use two different fabrics like say a cordoroy w/ a calico and well..they will not always stay togher...so .. i like to double reinforce it...just incase...i'd hate to be at a show dancing and have my skirt split open..hehe...

btw french seams scare me...thank god for sergers...:)

7. paix

paix Senior Member

ugh, I've recently made the mistake of trying to do french seams on a 3 tiered wrap skirt, soooo not a good idea, but sergers are way to expensive for me. Untill I win the lottery (or find a rich benefactor, lol) it's my mom's 1968 singer sewing machine and the iron or french seams for me.

What I wouldn't give for a serger *sigh*

8. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

I am very fortunate to be able to use my mothers pfaff machine and serger :) they are from the mid 80's.....i am so thankful that she has this stuff...:) i think ur more likely to sew if ur mother did....

9. paix

paix Senior Member

I totaly agree, becuase then you'll have at the very least a sewing machine around. The mamas that stitch everything by hand have my respect though, man, I doubt I'd get any sewing done if it was by hand!

10. phunkymonkey

phunkymonkey Member

Wow ~ I wish I only spent 2-3 hours! :p
    I usually make dresses, and those can take between 12-16 hours depending. Skirts take a few hours less. I also spend about 10 hours on my bags, but that is mostly in the applique.

A lot of times & have to tone down my design & keep myself from getting too complicated & spending even more time on the stuff ~ I don't want the prices to jump up all at once.

It is usually not bad unless there is one peice driving you crazy from the start... and then you still have to keep working on it for many more hours!
    Best of luck stitching!!
    ~Tiffany