Part 1 - Learn Your Machine

Discussion in 'Basic Machine Sewing' started by usfcat, Nov 1, 2007.

1. usfcat

usfcat CaterCreeps

Hey everyone! Sorry about such a delay, I have a lot going on.

Today's lesson is about learning your machine. Every machine is different but many share the same characteristics. If you have a new-fangled, fancy one, please refer to your manual as I have never used programmables or anything.

The machine in the pictures is a 1978 Singer Stylist.

[​IMG]
    1) Stitch-length
    2) Needle-placement
    3) Stitch width
    4) Pattern selector
    5) Wheel
    6) Thread
    7) Bobbin wind
    8) Foot
    9) Measurement/Ruler

#1) [​IMG]
    The smaller the number, the longer your stitch (yeah it's counterintuitive). "FINE" is the smallest you can go and will stitch lines that almost look like dots instead of dashes. "0" will not feed the fabric...it is basically sewing in place (this is used for some techniques like appliques and such)

#2, #3, #4) [​IMG]
    The needle placement has three options. left center or right. It's pretty self explanatory. Move the adjustment and watch the needle move. Center is appropriate for most simple projects. Right placement is good for getting your stitch very close to the edge.
    Stitch width is obviously how wide your stitch will be. straight versus zigzag.
    Let's not worry about pattern selector..keep it where I keep mine for now.

#5) [​IMG]
    You turn the wheel to fine tune at the end if your sewing (so you don't go too fast with the pedal). OR it's great to get the needle out of the fabric if you stopped in a position where it is in the fabric.

2. usfcat

usfcat CaterCreeps

#6, #7) [​IMG]The thread is self-explanatory. The next lesson will be on how to thread your machine.
    Bobbin winder is a quick way to spool up your bobbin thread (this is the thread that is placed into the sewing machine...also will be covered next lesson).

#8, #9) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The foot keeps the fabric in place. Look behind your foot and you will see a stick-shaped adjuster. Pull it up when not sewing, to move your fabric around and set it in place, and ALWAYS put it down when ready to sew!!! The measurements (in eighths) you can line up your fabric to. For example, if you want to sew a hem and you want to stitch it at 3/8", then line up your fabric to the '3'.
    The second picture also shows that inner thread bobbin i spoke of earlier.

Also don't forget the pedal...
    [​IMG]

Your assignment is to look at your sewing machine and find these features or similar features. If you have a manual, look through it..it will help you a lot!

Next lesson: Threading your machine...stay tuned!

3. ronny25

ronny25 Member

I have no idea.

4. TheHarlequin13

TheHarlequin13 Guest

Hi! This may be a dumb question but I was just given an older model sewing machine- it doesn't have a pedal though. Am i missing a piece or is this just a different type? LOL