parents won't allow me to get dreads.....

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by PuZuZu, Jun 1, 2004.

1. PuZuZu

PuZuZu Member

is there any alternative to getting around their rules?

i mean, my parents don't hate the look.....errr i dunno. my dad doesn't want me to ruin my hair, hes out for the health side of things. and my mother is just weird, she doesn't like how they look yet she doesn't care that i dress 'funny'.

i want you people to help me bribe them that they are normal everyday hairstyles. spiritual reasons, handling reasons, ect.... something for me to be dedicated to, blah blah blah. it all varies.

i want to know why YOU have dreadlocks. why YOUR parents let you have them. and if i got them anyways, would they come out? i've dreaded some sections of my hair but its gotten combed out before....sucks. =P so if you people can reply i'll appreciate it!

2. Sunnie

Sunnie Jes-Jes

It's your hair, it's your business.

I think I'll get dreadlocks when school starts...

3. Spinner

Spinner Member

Dude, that sucks!
    :(

4. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

for a start clean hair dreads better... and just think about it if ur hair does get dirty at least you wont get nits :p

Its the most natural way of having your hair (as long as yuou dont wqax your dreads) because if left your hair naturally dreads itself.

It looks damn sexah!

and i have them because ive always wanted since i was 9 and now im coming up to 18 and ive had em 4 months and im the happyest with my hair ive ever been no matter how oter people view them. Ive had extensions, ive had dyed ive had bobs, ive had 80's new romantic hair, ive had fake dreads, coloured plats, plates, blonde, all cut off short. And this is the most happyest ive ever had my hair.
    god luck, be true to yourself.

5. sarahstar

sarahstar Member

you can ask for other's reasons for having them, i can see where that might help you, but just think about why *you* want them. and no i would not count on them coming out :) so you may want their permission first.

just try thinking about your reasons ~ if it's spiritual or you just like the way they look or whatever ~ then do research on that. what are your parents main problem with them? if it's that they are dirty, look for something to back up the opposite. maybe show them some pics? talk to them!

good luck!

6. PuZuZu

PuZuZu Member

i already did about 20 dreads... left top layer undone on left side of head. going to wrap most in hemp too....ive done that before, it looks cool. have right side yet to do but i'm gonna lemon juice my head first.

muahahahaa, parents don't know yet. hopefully they won't notice!!! thx guys for reasons.

7. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

Just let them know it's something you really want to experience. If you don't like them you can always cut them off. It's not permanent. Ask them if when they were young and they wanted to experience something how they felt when their parents told them no. It's not like the dreads are painfull or will hurt you. On my son's 14th's birthday I was sitting across the table from him looking at his long hair. I got the brite idea to ask him if he wanted a mohawk. He said no way. He went on out and hung with his friends for just a few minutes then came back in wanting me to mohawk his head. I did. He kept it for a week because he got tired of everyone staring. But at least he experienced. Isn't that what life is about ? Experiencing things ? I think they should let you go for it.

8. FreeSpiritedMelody

FreeSpiritedMelody changes poopy diapers

just do it anyways!! who cares

9. ArtistofPeace

ArtistofPeace Senior Member

I had told my mom I was going to dread my hair, and she panicked and begged me not to. "You have suuuch pretty, long hair right now...why do you want to ruin it?!" Well...I did it anyway. I came home with my whole head dreaded, and she hated it...haha. She was pretty much a bitch the whole weekend because of it, but she's slowly getting over it. Other people love it. My aunt was like "It's good that you did this, because it shows your mother that you're not playing by her rules." It's true. My mom can be very overprotective, but she knows that I'm my own person and I don't do things to please others.

So yeah, you've just gotta do what you wanna do. It's only hair, ya know? Some people will hate it, some people will love it...but the only thing that matters is how YOU feel about it. Good luck...:)

10. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

when i dreaded my hair my boyfriend told me he wouldnt fancy me as much with them.. but i did them cos i wanted them and he stuck with me cos obv its l=not looks that count (else i'd be screwed :p) and now they have formed more he loves em.... we have just split but that got nothing to do with my dreadies :)

11. Light and Day

Light and Day Member

www.knottyboy.com

This is what I use. There are similar products like this one but knotty boy seems to pride themselves on cleanliness and thats usually parents main concern. Tell your parents that they even have a shampoo in the form of a bar of soap so you can get it on their easily. It smells great and I think they use tea tree oil in it. All their stuff is natural.

The dread wax is bees wax based but not like that bees wax you buy in most stores wich actually has very little bees wax and is mostly petrolatum which from what I know is something like pomade which would make you hair actually not dread.

Knotty boy has hemp seed oil in it which is like food for you hair. lots of natural fiber and stuff in it. What isn't hemp good for? It also dreads a lot faster and looks better in the beginning.

This are just the good points of it off the top of my head but if you go to the site there's a wealth of knowledge that should persuade your parents.

Good luck future Dread Head!
    Peace and Love

12. PuZuZu

PuZuZu Member

thanks guys. i'm just gonna dread it with what ive got atm. just lemonjuiced my hair hehe.

13. Sunnie

Sunnie Jes-Jes

Why lemonjuice?

14. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

you want blonde dreads I take it?

15. eyesofthewhirled

eyesofthewhirled Member

diluted lemon juice helps em form up and tighten. and it doesn't stick in yer dreads like wax nor hold in crap and fuzz like da wax does. good luck hun. my folks were pissed when i did mine as well, but if yer over 18, there ain't a shitload of stuff they can do about it cept make you move out *shrug* just keep shining lots of love on them. sometimes its the fear of how other folks will treat you that bugs em out the most. i just passed the 4 year mark and my mom and dad stilllll hate em ;)
    francie pants

16. PuZuZu

PuZuZu Member

UPDATE: I've gotten a metal comb. My mother doesn't care as long as I let the top layer of hair cover them, is there any cute styles to not let this look gay? My mom makes comments along the lines of 'weird'. but that is that. My dad is the conservative weirdo and is in New Jersey ATM, I have no bloody idea how he'd handle it. lol. Lemon juice helps eh? Keep it in or wash it out cause i hate how it makes my hair all nasty and hard.... and crusty. blech. Also I lemonjuiced my like dark blonde hair and sat out in the sun for 3 hours, didn't do anything ....

17. maryjaneguitargurl

maryjaneguitargurl I am just like you.

are dreads just basically a knot lol ??

18. eyesofthewhirled

eyesofthewhirled Member

hehehe if you don't like itchy crappy texture in yer hair... ya might wanna reconsider dreads. i love mine and all, but they are far from nice feeling things. dreads itch. especially when they get good and tight. if you've never felt dreads over a couple years old, they turn hard and dry. i dunno if lemon juice is gonna help much this early in the process for ya. salt water though will help. it dries out yer hair and sorta helps trash it a bit more. good luck tryin to keep the top undreaded ;)

19. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

um, maybe do it anyway?

20. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Well, my parents won't let me get them either, and I have wanted them for probably 4 years. I have given them every real reason possible, but they won't budge in their opinion. Oh, well. The biggest drag about that is that I am starting college this fall, and will still be living in their house (no on campus living at this college). So for the next 2.5 years, I can't get them. I am going to be a registered Nurse, so I MAY or MAY NOT be able to have them at my workplace in the future. On one hand, the health field is particular about cleanliness. On the other hand, they will take about any professional, especially male nurses (partially for anti-segregation laws), because demand is so high for them. And once again on that hand, I would most likely wear a tam while working so the patients wouldn't complain.

But sounds like you have the problem under control. Only problem with having the top layer is that your dreads might try to get that hair to dread with it and then you will have some tangles and such. Just watch out for that. Otherwise, congrats on getitng your dreads.