Pain Killer vs Migraine Head ache

Discussion in 'Pharmaceuticals' started by Crazy818, May 30, 2012.

1. Crazy818

Crazy818 Member

What is the best pain killer available via prescription or over the counter?

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

LSA found in the morning glory dept, flowers and plant section of the store..

3. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

I suffer from very frequent Migraine headaches, although my doctor tends to think that they are actually Cluster Headaches now. But nonetheless, here is how I rank various drugs for their ability to abort a headache:

1. Strong NSAIDS (Voltaren, Meloxicam, Celebrex): 6/10 - they are surprisingly pretty effective but they have a ceiling dose and thus never really take the "meat" of the pain away.

2. Acetaminophen: 3/10 - worthless basically, even at 2 grams.

3. Strong Opioids (Oxycodone, Buprenorphine, etc.): 7/10 - slightly better than strong NSAIDS, but for some weird reason, they are nowhere near as good for Migraine pain as they are for any other pain.

4. Triptans (Imitrex and such): 5/10 - not that good IMO - I also cannot take them due to Serotonin Syndrome risk (I ended up with S.S. one time after taking Imitrex and almost died).

5. Ergotamines (Cafergot, LSA): 8/10 - very effective although they tend to make me nauseous.

6. Psychedelics at very low doses (e.g.: 5 mg 2C-I orally) - 8.5/10 - the most effective thing I have found so far. Almost no side effects or psychoactive effects either.

1 person likes this.
  4. vivalalife

vivalalife Member

I had a pretty bad headache today during school, so I went to Walgreens during my off hour and found some store brand extra strenth headache relief that contains acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine. Took 2 and it was gone in in 20 minutes. Worth a try!

5. DannyD

DannyD Member

I have a neck injury that has given me daily, horrible headaches for the past few years and I've tried everything. The doctors want me to take two 50 mg tramadols every two hours but I hate those nasty things and the only way they take away the headaches is by making me pass out.

Two of these take the pain completely away for a few hours: http://www.thecuresafety.com/Pain_Away_p/111534.htm

I can actually get some work done when I take them but I'm sure they're not good for you long term.

For real, long term headache relief, you need to figure out what's causing them. In my case, it's a damaged c1 disc that gets inflamed and causes pressure on the base of my brain, also causing drastically high blood pressure.

I started a new vitamin regimen a few days ago and have felt better than I've felt in years.

In addition to being careful not to overstress my neck, or think to seriously or too often, I started taking the following vitamins.

Three 1000mg fish oil tablets
    two 333mg calcium, 133 mg magnesium, 200iu D3 tablets
    three glucosamine 1500mg, MSM 1500mg tablets
    and one daily multi vitamin.

I'm also eating a lot of mixed greens with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, celery, and bananas.

It's working for me so if your upper neck, or high blood pressure is at the root of your problems, it might work for you.

6. p0rkch0p

p0rkch0p Member

i have been prescribed burbutirol i think for migranes, but i havent had one in along long time, not sure about that rx, but i think its close.........

7. underground1989

underground1989 Member

My mother has miagraine headaches and i used to have them severely in school they just went away when i started blazing in highschool but she takes 5-HTP, Agonists and i have taken them before when i have a miagraine and man they work,

Novotriptan, Emerge, search those up

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I use three in this order depending on the strength of the headache

first is motrin/ibuprofen...mid grade headaches get tylenol 1 (here we have to ask the pharmacist for it because of codeine but no prescription is needed)..and bad ones get tylenol 3 (need prescription)

I used to take Orudis KT...but i cant find it at all now for years

9. KylieMichelle

KylieMichelle Members

Hey I am really needing help... I've been trainin to become a us navy diver for almost a year now. I've had migraine headaches all my life but never been to the doctor before because of my parents. Ive just moved away from my parents but cannot go to the doctors for another years to yet and a half. I need something to help me! I have no idea what to take besides excedrin and most of the time it only takes the edge off. I need to be trainin but instead I'm laying in bed trying to get better.

My symptoms go a little like this;
    First I go to stand up and get vary vary dizzy, sometimes loosing complete vision and falling over, like today. Other days I see zigzags in the corner of my vision or dots that eventually block out all vision
    Then a hand of foot goes num
    Wile these thing are happening I have a dull throbbing and then it progressively gets worse and worse until I can't stand any light or sound and curl in a ball.. Most of the time I puke.. I haven't gotten that far today.
    My triggers are usually stress related.
    Somebody please help. I'm really stuck and I just wanna feel better.. Hopefully without loosing my dicig contract with the navy:(

10. happydude_60

happydude_60 Senior Member

I've heard that Psilocybin mushrooms work very well for cluster headaches. You won't get them by prescription though.

11. ZoeSanderson

ZoeSanderson Visitor

I had an almost similar situation but it had ended not as well as yours

12. StewartMorrisonv

StewartMorrisonv Members

nothing helps me and I don’t know how to deal with it. Only a few months ago I had not health problems, but now I have severe headaches and not a single pain medication helps me. I even thought that I had a tumor in my brain, but it turned out that this was not true. Even the doctors could not understand what was the reason for such terrible headaches. Perhaps some of you have come across this. The only solution I found for temporary relief from pain is the use of kratom. I have always despised the use of drugs, but it seems to me that there is nothing terrible in using Kratom to get rid of a severe headache. It’s not even pain, it’s bouts. TGM Kratom helps me best.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I tried Tramadol for a headache. It worked! :)

I had been having recurring headaches; usually around the same time in the afternoon, but not all the time (maybe once ever month or so). Same spot in my head would hurt. The doctors office recommended Tylenol migraine or Excedrin migraine, so I have the Excedrin. It contains caffeine though. & I know for example caffeine withdrawals sometimes cause headaches.

That said, I had some Tramadol that, ironically enough, had been for my dog. She died, and I had lots of her medicine; which I know is for people because I was prescribed Tramadol for sciatica (they only give me several doses though - lucky dog...). So, I took a Tramadol. It worked like a charm! Took an hour though...

Drugs & Medications

[​IMG]