Overuse Of ACV?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Mabster, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Mabster

Mabster Member

Hi there...
    New dreads.. attempting and succeeding with de waxing..
    However... Deep cleaned saturday then wednesday. Washed today with dreadhead hq (got it so used it but shall stick wit bicarb)

Both deep cleans had a good splurge o ACV.. Hair is blooming soft.. untanged and curly!!

So aye.. lay of the acv while i'm in the beginning stages?

x

2. Dragonvine

Dragonvine I do Glass

What is AVC 0.o

3. Merrivale

Merrivale Senior Member

Yep, I'd advise not overusing it, or at least try and use it just to clean your scalp and keep it from soaking into your dreads until they're more mature and can handle it. Could also be though that if you're trying to remove wax then you're being harsher to your dreads than normal and that's why it seems like it's untangling. I wouldn't worry to much about that though It's far more important to remove the wax than worry about them untangling, they'll do that anyway.

4. Merrivale

Merrivale Senior Member

Apple cider vinegar:)

5. Merrivale

Merrivale Senior Member

Oh sorry didn't see that you're making fun? AVC???

6. Dragonvine

Dragonvine I do Glass

Ahh :D I am enlightened ^^ sounds alot more industrial than cider :p

That is alot of deep cleansing and cleaning for one week xD Everytime you wash your dreads with bicard or dhhq the wax will wash out slowly anyway :) Did with mine ^^

7. Mabster

Mabster Member

Awesome *must stop using that word*
    Might even just rinse the morn we water and see... however some tea may be the key...

8. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

actualoy it dowesnt it just sets in deeper u ned water over 140 f to melt ot out or something to dissolve it

but acv is very conditioning, have u ever put an egg or bone or for that matter a steel nail in acv overnight? it turns them to rubber
    overuse can really make your haier extremely soft
    i dilute it a ton before use then rince well

9. pypes

pypes Hot alien babes

I'm fed up of this "wax will never come out" dogma. Beeswax will enter into an emulsion with soapy water, I just went an removed DHHQ wax from a tile with dish soap in cold water, I'll grant it wasn't terribly easy but it was by no means impossible. Also consider Beeswax / Borax emulsion is used as a natural cosmetic cream, I have also read just now that goo-gone, which is orange oil based, will remove beeswax from hair completely.

Additionally beeswax will be slowly removed via several other mechanisms such as mechanical abrasion of the wax, reactions with atmospheric free radicals, exposure to UV and other ionizing radiation, microbial action and not forgetting breakage / loss of the hairs themselves.

I'll grant that it may be difficult to remove beeswax "overnight" without resorting to drastic measures such as "very hot water" (65c isn't exactly going to kill you, its well within IEE touch temperatures IIRC) and that wax users could very easily experience a chronic wax build-up due to the difficulty of casually removing it with soap but this idea that it will never come out is patent nonsense. Washing the hair normally with soap and water will emulsify wax and thus eventually remove it all. Not an overnight solution, but this isn't an overnight hairstyle.

10. Mabster

Mabster Member

65c!!!
    I knew I should o checked the conversion tables!

I once got my bath up to 75c... now that was HOT!!!

11. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

tiles are easuyy theyre smooth and u can scrape it off
    try something lil closer to drewad conditions
    like wad up a bunch in as washcloth, pound it winth a hammer (or fist) to work it deep into ther fibres till the wascloths stuck togerther in a glob
    then toss in a washer warm setting and see if it dont come out still stuck together then try hot see if that removes it

12. pypes

pypes Hot alien babes

ease of removal isn't the point, the point is that it will emulsify with soapy water, and thus can be removed (eventually) with casual washing.

13. beautifulwarrior

beautifulwarrior Member

Pypes you might as well be talking to a wall. You're talking to some of the same people who refuse to believe you can section your hair and form dreads. (You can but hey won't call them real dread. :rolleyes)

14. Callie4Strings

Callie4Strings Official Spokes Bitch

Wow...I never wadded up wax and pounded it in with a hammer!

But I did have to try SE's experiment using DHHQ's wax that I had left. (I have had this small jar of wax for 6 months and it is not even 1/4 of the way gone. ) I am really beginning to think that the blame is not in the wax itself but the mis-use of wax.

Anway I didnt even have to put in a washer for a full cycle....it washed out under the tap with warm water and soap. Cant even smell it...so I assume that it is indeed out of the fabric itself.

My wax always came out after a wash. But then again I actually went by the manufactures recommendations and just used the wax to help the original backcomb stay in. After a few months...I hardly used it...and now I'M not at all. So my observation of wax is that it does not make locks....it is just an aide to keep new fragile babies in place if you have chosen the backcombing method.

15. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

yeah, i suppose it is more of a thing to keep baby backcombed dreads together, but i plastered mine on cause i was silly =] like twice a day minimum, loads and loads, and palm rolled, and used a crochet hook, and a hooked tool thing for loose hairs.. rubbish.

16. Mabster

Mabster Member

With no wax i now have a fro... in places ;)
    But do I care?
    My hair is soft.. looking good (well I think so)
    And wax free :D
    Well i still have wax in one tip with a band... im goin to leave it and see what happens..

17. Callie4Strings

However you were a prime example of the misuse in wax....you had enough in there to do a kazillion heads bro!

18. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

his was nothing compared to mine =]

19. Mabster

Mabster Member

Comparing Now are we ;)
    'Mines Bigger than yours ;) Hehehe...

20. Callie4Strings

Aweee Smelly !!!! I do hope you get your new babies soon!!!:cheers2: