Overrated and underrated films

Discussion in 'Movies' started by gunison, Aug 29, 2005.

1. gunison

gunison Member

Give one overrated and one underrated film. Explain briefly why you chose each film.

Overrated: The Blues Brothers (1980)
    What's the deal? The movie isn't funny and worst of all it just drags on and on (I mean, how long was that chase scene to the bank at the end?). Even the famous 'sunglasses' line was average. Nevertheless, every college dorm has at least one room on every floor with this movie poster and people talk about it with such reverence.

Underrated: Manhunter (1986)
    Based on Thomas Harris' book that precedes 'Silence of the Lambs'. One of the scariest killers in film history (based on how he selects people). The opening scene is quite unsettling. It's well paced, suspensful, well acted, and very well shot (esp. the opening scene). Hannibal Lecktor (spelled that way in this movie) is more of a minor character, but played very well by Brian Cox. Also, has one of the best cop-killer confrontation scenes at the end. Stars William Petersen, Brian Cox and a young Joan Allen. Directed by Michael Mann.

Runners-up: Overrated-Casablanca; Underrated-Seconds (1966)

2. underrated
    harrison bergeron, you'll either love it or hate, it's based on a vonnegut short story, I really liked the idea and premise, but I'm a vonnegut fan

overrated
    national lampoon anything, american pie films, the matrix

first two sets of films are just bad, matrix is good, but not as good as people say it is

3. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

i didnt like harrison bergeron [the movie] that much, the story was really interesting though...although the think i did like about the movie is that they went deeper into the government system...

over-rated: sixth sense...

4. Spuff

Spuff Where's my ciggies?

Overrated - The Blair Witch Project
    Underrated - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

5. Spaceduck

Spaceduck Member

Overrated: NOSFERATU (1922)
    Good movie but not worth the worship it's gotten in recent years. Compare it side-by-side with FAUST, also by F.W. Murnau, and you might agree that Murnau could've done better.

Underrated: NOSFERATU (1979)
    This is prolly the only remake in movie history that hasn't sucked! The scenery & the musical score alone make it worth 4 stars. Unfortunately not many people give it a fair shake, simply because they're too busy worshipping the original. :p

6. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

Overrated- Silence of the Lambs. Anthony Hopkins may be a very good actor, but the movie was stupid.

Underrated- My Blue Heaven (with Steve Martin). That movie was hilarious. It really surprises me that so few people like it.

7. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

i disagree i think fear and loathing is very overrated it is a awesome film but 70% of those who like/watch it have no actul idea what its about,all they know is a bunch of drugs and crazy shit is in the film

underrated:where the buffalo roam,i think this the most underrated HST moive out of the two,people think that fear and loathing is what hunter was realy like,where the buffalo roam gives a better look at what he was realy like from non other then one of his best firends.

overrated:there are way to many to list that are overrated because of the actors in them,most johnny deep and brad pit movie are extremely over rated excuding blow,fear and loathing,12 monkeys,and fight club

8. ihavenoideawhatsgoin

ihavenoideawhatsgoin Banned

Overrated-Scream series
    Underrated-Spun

9. Spuff

Spuff Where's my ciggies?

Maybe it's underrated locally here because most of the people I ask say they've never heard of it and those who have seen it say it's shit because they don't understand it. I understand exactly what it's about (having read the book too) and I can honestly say it's my favourite film and (especially local here) it doesn't revieve half as much credit as it should.

10. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

i tihnk fear and loathign has enough credit, i think where the buffalo roam is the film that needs more credit

11. gunison

gunison Member

There seem to be two types of overrated movies:

1) A movie that most people believe is very good or excellent and which gets a great deal of acclaim (popular and/or critical), but is actually a below average or downright terrible film. For my part, 'Blues Brothers' is of this type. [We could say this type of film is "overrated with extreme predjudice."]

2) A movie that is pretty good and whose merits can be acknowledged, but just isn't as good as its level of acclaim would indicate. I would argue 'Casablanca' is of this type.

12. ihavenoideawhatsgoin

ihavenoideawhatsgoin Banned

I think Napoleon Dynamite is also extremely overrated

13. gunison

gunison Member

Oh god yeah! What is the appeal? If the nerd just isn't an appealling character doing interesting things, why stay around until the end of the movie to see him triumph? I heard nothing but good things about that moive and turned it off halfway through. Yeesh!

Good pick.

14. Kabbalist

Kabbalist Member

Overrated: Godfather movies, have to say the first one is okay.

Underrated: any of Kate Winslet films except Titanic.

15. TheLizardQueen

TheLizardQueen horny for knowledge

Overrated- napolean dynamite, the ring

Underrated- Rainbow Bridge

16. TheLizardQueen

TheLizardQueen horny for knowledge

oh ya, My Big Fat Greek Wedding is also very highly overrated!

17. ZBChrist

ZBChrist Member

Overrated - 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (As far as I'm concerned, this movie ended wen the primates found the monolith)

Underrated - Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (why does everyone think Snatch is so much better?)

18. Kabbalist

Kabbalist Member

That movie is not underrated at all, everyone I know is wild about this movie.

Maybe you should select your friends better ;)

19. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

Overrated- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I enjoyed this movie, but it was only good. It wasn't amazing as a lot of people say.

Underrated- Spun.

20. heyzeus321

heyzeus321 Member

Overrated - Battlefield Earth - I havn't met anyone who liked it and it is still overrated

Underrated - Drop Dead Gorgeous - This is by far the best mocumentary I have ever seen