out of curiousity...(ancestral heritage)

Discussion in 'Stoners Lounge' started by nirmalamaya, May 30, 2007.

1. nirmalamaya

nirmalamaya Member

Is there anyone here of Jewish descent? I dont mean practicing Jews..just anyone who has Jewish ancestry.

Today I visited my grandmother and grandfather on my fathers side of the family (a father I am not in touch with) to ask them for some genealogy information. Im super duper into my family genealogy and I love learning about where I come from..
    Anyhow, I learned that my grandfather was a German Jew. My grandfather on my moms sides mother was also Jewish..so its kinda weird....

And..if youre not Jewish...what IS your ancestral heritage and does it mean anything to you?

2. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

i'm not jewish, my mom is catholic and my dad is protestant [i think thats how you spell it]

i'm german, irish, czech, slovakian, french, irish, english & american indian.

it means alot to me to be those things and i am proud to be every one of them. + I'm a decendent of vice pres John C. Cahloun from like the 1800's haha

i'm proud =]

3. skullkidnate

skullkidnate ナサニエル

I am like 85% polish and 15% german although born here, my mom is 100% polish and my dad is like 75% polish 25% german so I am guessing I am what I said.

I am not religous

4. nirmalamaya

nirmalamaya Member

awesome! you have a very european history hahaha.
    My grandmother on my moms side was also "native american" and on the census she was listed as an FPC (free person of color) which was the label given to tri racial isolates called melungeons who were native american, and some sort of european (probably turkish)

you should be proud!

5. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

i'm not religious anymore, but my mom used to force it on me

i did 9 years of CCD cuz i did fail a few times

6. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

i really do want to get more into my native american history, but i forget what tribe because my great grandmother opal is like 100 percent american indian but she doesn't live like it. she married a german man and gave up her herritage

7. stonedmonkiwana

stonedmonkiwana K9 Handler

As far as I know (and I've done some extensive genealogy work) I have no Jewish ancestry.

Most of my ancestors were English... but like any American I have some German, Dutch, French, Scottish, Irish and Native American in me.

8. nirmalamaya

nirmalamaya Member

yeah my grandmother did the same thing, she adopted a scottish surname (which was popular for cherokee/cree/chickasaw people to do to avoid persecution) and married a white dude...practiced christianity, etc.

9. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

10. nirmalamaya

nirmalamaya Member

that is pretty cool..
    ancestry.com had a cool 30 day free trial where you could search the 1930 census for your family members.

11. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

Yeah it's pretty cool to be able to find stuff like that. You find out stuff about your family history that you never would have even imagined or thought was possible. The Chastain family even has some kind of famous family sword in some French museum.

12. gaum

gaum Elephant Orgy

im 5/8 english, 1/4 greek, 1/8 mix between scotch-irish and native american (blackfoot tribe)

13. 40oz and chronic

40oz and chronic 'Nuff Said

im irish and native american, with some frenchy in there

14. young_deadhead

young_deadhead I Love Lucy

my dads side of the family is amish (i missed being an amo by 2 generations) my moms is german i think so basically im all german i guess.

15. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

i'm a descendant of Spanish (Spain) royalty.

16. Mr LJ

Mr LJ Member

irish

17. smokindude

smokindude Senior Member

Half Greek and Half Finish.

18. gaum

gaum Elephant Orgy

word up to the greeks

19. Stella_Drives

Stella_Drives Senior Member

Irish succckkaahs. I grew up in a predominatly Jewish town though so I'm a jew in the sense that I've been to almost 20 Bar/Bat Mitzfahs

20. Biida

Biida Member

My dad's side is English-Irish with a wee bit of Scot and Spaniard. My mom's side is completely native american: Ojibway and Shawnee.