Our national debt

Discussion in 'Politics' started by travelguy61, Feb 9, 2020.

1. srgreene

srgreene Members

It’s called MMT- Magic Money Tree

2. That's because the planet is in debt by a sum of money that doesn't actually exist.

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Just in general

If you borrow money off some one and pay them back with interest, you are then paying them for not doing anything. You are just paying them for the risk of not paying them back. And the fact that you didn't have money in the first place, They did

With Banks and unsecured loans like credit cards, most of that high interest you are paying is really just covering all those that default, because they declare bankruptcy or die or piss off overseas forever

If the interest charged doesn't outweigh inflation, like with a lot of government bonds at the moment. And they know better than you do inflation is or isn't going to outstrip returns. Then it's not even a debt, you are paying them to loan them money

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Particularly with land ownership, what are you actually paying for?

The government knows down to the nearest +/- 0.2% how many people are going to live and die each year

You are born in a country, you are automatically a citizen of that country

Why isn't every citizen alloted an amount of land at birth. Not in a specific place, but like a land credit

That they can trade with each other, you can pay upwards, but can never sell your base allotment

That would be a nightmare to implement now, but in a way it is the system itself, if the system was set up that way from the beginning, things would be very different now

You want to really do something about racism in America, do something about that generational equity. Affirmative Action on land ownership as it were

Australia and Canada, why the hell don't the indigenous get a free allotment of land at birth?

5. srgreene

srgreene Members

Because there ain't no such thing as a free lunch (TANSTAAFL). The farm, the business, the expertise has to be earned in every generation.

To the extent that government restricts commerce- in the myriad ways that it does- it favors existing wealth at the expense of new wealth, to the detriment of all (except those born with a silver spoon in their mouth, I suppose). Just taxing earnings on businesses discourages the risk taking that entrepreneurship requires (why take a risk of government is going to help itself to some percentage of the earnings?).

You, along with many people here, seem to have a static view of wealth. One of the glorious aspects of laissez-faire capitalism is that fortunes can be won- or lost. Taxation, burdensome regulations both harm the entrepreneur more than the established business.

6. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

What a bizarre and muddled effort at historical revisionism! Sounds like Obama's election spurred the recession of 2008, which began before he was elected.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  7. Gul Dukat

Gul Dukat Kanar, anyone?

I’d say this is interesting enough for its own thread but I suspect it would quickly become about Trump.

WritersPanic likes this.
  8. Michael1985

Michael1985 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I am not okay with it. I am disgusted by any politician, regardless of ideology, adding one dime more to an existing national debt for any reason. I am glad I am not an American and never had to face the prospect of choosing to vote between Trump or someone else, because this would be just one more reason I wouldn't have gone for the former.

9. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

^
    Fuckin cool link D!

As far as the trillions of national debt, not a concern.

Off topic:
    I'm way more concerned about people's personal debt. Lots of friends and family in this mess. They got themselves in it though.

10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There are so many of these countdown clocks from your favorite movie premier, to the 2020 U.S. Presidential Election, to the World Population Explosion,
    which some theorists believe will take place in 2037 when we reach 9 Billion.

World Population Clock: 7.8 Billion People (2020) - Worldometer

11. lode

lode Banned

Trump is saving tax payer money by doing his own fake tan.

12. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

He got a great deal on some orange spray paint...

tumbling.dice likes this.
  13. Yes, and no. The debt machine is an awesome human creation. It's so profitable that basically all the debt in the world is greater than the amount of actual money that even exists.

People can be stupid about debt, but debt creation companies provide all kinds of clever ways to assuage their guilt. Usually by putting stuff on sale or pushing them into another credit card with an introductory rate, so they can use it to pay off the current debt and give them new debt with a longer payoff time.

The debt industry also pushes a lot of promotional money into the production of "things" that everybody MUST have, even though they may not need it. Status symbols are declared on such foolishness as the color of your lighter or the brand of condom you use. And look how so many things are ridiculously replicated, 11 brands of washing machines that all do the same thing, a dozen or more car brands that have models that all look basically alike (and do the same thing). And yet, somehow one of these is "better" than the other and will determine how you are seen in society.

Too many people go into debt by childishly trying to impress others, with the shit they can buy, while building debt. I have a few "House-Poor" friends in Atlanta. They shell out more than half of their income to keep a downtown condo, and can't afford a pizza on Friday night.

Madness!

14. Gul Dukat

Gul Dukat Kanar, anyone?

Where might one purchase one of these “debt machines”?
    Asking for a friend.

WritersPanic likes this.
  15. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

I'm with ya...

There's guys at the firm that make a million a year but can't even get a loan for a Honda because their credit is so bad, everybody's just waiting for the fifteenth of the month, they may have the Porsche but they don't have ten bucks to put in the gas tank, its ni**a rich.

WritersPanic likes this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Lol they actually deleted the jupiter joke.
    A whole other level of wank.

17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, i wanted to complain about that myself and then just didn't bother. seriously, it would be impossible to actually be offended by that; one of the resident shit stirrers just got into some mod's head apparently.

Irminsul likes this.
  18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Meh, not so much

Not that much of a stretch to think the whole site will get blocked in the EU for stuff like that

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

If it's that's significant maybe we were onto something... Definitely won't be looking at that giant ball of gas the same again... Money stealing ****. :sweatsmile: fucken make me work. You're going down Jupiter!

Now we just need Saturn to unleash her rings of ice directly at Jupiter, just so it can cool down a bit. Take a chill pill Jupiter.