organic fertilizer

Discussion in 'Cannabis Outdoors' started by tweet, May 25, 2012.

1. tweet

tweet Member

I have been growing weed outdoors for 3 years now and was wondering does anybody have any good tips on what is good organic fertilizer

2. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

sea weed,manure from an organic farm,fish parts,wood ash.....dont put fish parts in any out door area where there is also bears..

3. tweet

tweet Member

thank you for the tips. I've also heard that used coffee grounds are good,do you know if that is true

4. Cultosaurus

Cultosaurus Member

5. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

ever see a coffee maker that had the coffee left in it for weeks?...its all mouldy and gross...that is why if you choose coffee grounds they must be buried beneath the surface of the ground and not sprinkled or mixed into top soil otherwise the grounds attract mould instead of breaking down in the soil

6. boobytrap

boobytrap Member

the best i have ever found is the zoo doo from the portlan ore zoo,other zoos sell theres but it just seems that the stuff form the zoo in portland makes pot grow better and it works pretty good on roses to.

7. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i dont know many poops that can be used right away...farmers here spread the fresh manure onto next years fields when rejuvenating a used up field...i have chickens but it takes 2 years..same with horse manure......2 years before it can be mixed into soil and also get the benefits that same year..........my point kinda is that you can put almost anything organic into soil or plantfood and get some benefit but it is a lot of work to shovel 300 pounds of shit and another 300 pounds of peat and etc and etc...its back breaking so you may as well do it right..

..go to a living swamp and get some water or drop fresh grass into fresh water and it will add nitrogen to the water...that is another way to get immediate results...cut grass has to be green going in

8. Dank Sinatra

Dank Sinatra Member

In making a compost remember fresh, juicy materials are usually higher in nitrogen. In addition, materials of animal origin (such as feathers, manure, blood meal) are typically higher in nitrogen. Drier, older, or woody vegetable and plant tissues are usually higher in carbon. grass clippings when fresh are good too but when the clippings are dried they become carbonaceous

9. Rocklobster

Rocklobster Senior Member

not an outdoor farmer me.....
    blood fish and bone good alrounder, bone meal good for bloom.
    cigarette/cigar butts tobacco is high in nitrogen also a good pesticide.
    seaweed contains something like over a 100 trace elements good for helping fert uptake/stress and bloom.

10. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

this is the first time in 10 years that i will not be spending a single cent in the garden store for the little 202020 blue bags..

11. MADwoman

MADwoman Member

Uh, mold IS the decomposer. If you bury the grounds it's still going to be mold that performs the decomposition.

I use all our coffee grounds, and the leftover coffee diluted, along with stuff like urine and fermented plant extracts for feeding organically. I especially like to use the coffee for my acid-loving plants, which includes cannabis.
    I personally would recommend against that practice, for two main reasons. First, how many people are smoking unadulterated, or at least organic tobacco. Many of the chemicals used on commercial tobacco are quite persistent. Second, tobacco may help spread TbMV (tobacco mosaic virus, not the only virus or mosaic of concern, but we should be careful).

Use of meals such as blood and bone, as well as any kind of fish meal, crab shell meal, etc, can be tricky if you're in an area with raccoons. They should only be used if the plants in question are fenced. I lost a whole corn crop to raccoons trying to find the fish one year.
    Aaahhh.... then you're in for quite a treat. May I suggest learning about how to raise Brix as a method for improvement all the way around? Increased Brix means better plant health, as well as better nutrition. To me it seems that if my high Brix fruit and veggies taste better and have better nutrition (not to mention the savings realized when you DON'T have to treat for pests or disease), then so should my weed.

It starts with good organic matter in the soil, but that soil also needs to be properly mineralized. From there, you're culturing microbes more than anything else.

12. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i actually do not use coffee grounds in my garden.....thanks for this great post....this year i went with manure and sea weed only so far...i am gonna look into raising the bx this week and try it...thank you...can it be done with feed grade molasses?

please....what is your back ground...you sound more knowledgeable than the average ''gardener''

and welcome to the site.....

the bottom line is what counts....good weed at low or no cost

13. MADwoman

MADwoman Member

Thank you for the welcome! And the answer is YES, absolutely it can be done with feed grade molasses, which I can't get my local feed store to carry for me. As a matter of fact, I don't use only molasses when I'm feeding the plants. I haven't been able to experiment with other sugars and AACT (actively aerated compost teas, look up microbe organics dot com for the real down low), but I have used them for directly feeding the soil, and have since learned that plants can and do take sugars up directly through roots. Molasses is popular because of all the goodies it provides and it is proven to be one of the best things to use when making compost teas, aka AACTs. The goal of these teas is not to make nutrients, but to culture microbes (look up Teaming With Microbes).

I have a background in aquarium fish, but have been growing my own weed for the past several years. At the same time I began reading about how the government is controlling our FOOD SUPPLY, and it pissed me off and I decided to start learning what I could do. I wanted to know what effect I could have within my sphere of influence, and that's my neighborhood. So I've been reading and trying to connect with organic gardeners and in the meantime apply my knowledge of fish. I'm not kidding when I say I read a lot, and then I try to put what I can into practice in my garden. I do have some limitations, that's why I'm a MMJ patient.

In the meantime, when trying to grow really good weed that's the best each girl can be, I'm also working to grow enough high-nutrition food to feed my neighborhood. I've gotten my pesticide ID#, which is the first step I need to take toward getting my organic certification. Once registration is attained I'll join the local CSA and hope to offer different local crops than what the other farmers are offering. Right now I'm mostly learning what I can grow REALLY well where I am, and that's weed and broccoli and tomatoes. Oh, and beans.

Do you have a worm bin or compost pile, somewhere that you can put the grounds? There is a lot to be had from them, and from the plants growing all around you.

14. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i have a 50 gallon drum of compost tea ..manure...a dead fish...some sea weed and some unknowns since i inherited it already made...been steeping 2 years....i also have the air pump for aeration but i have been lazy with that aspect.

..i did notice that the top is full of bubbles when i dip into it and it is so strong i must dilute it considerably

my zuchini plant is about 5 feet across tip to tip and already producing.......here in canada i/we have that damned omnibus crime bill so i can only admit to 5 plants and a couple others[:)] are ''off property''

did you hear that popo....if you raid me you will only get me for 5...best you figure out where the rest are and hit me then.....here is a hint...buy some really strong bug repellent and wear your waders

i too am waiting on mmj papers and am looking forward to speaking with you again mad-woman..

15. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

16. MADwoman

MADwoman Member

Thanks for the link Ranger, I'll check it out later.

Rolling I look forward to organic discussions with you as well!

Are you familiar with garum? Roman thing, very popular in the old days, has nothing to do with sisters.

17. MADwoman

MADwoman Member

Oh, by the way, how many posts are 'enough'? I seem to have missed that.

18. Cane Corso

Cane Corso Member

Wow, you really sound like someone I could absorb a lot of information about gardening & other stuff from, like a sponge! :sunny: I look forward to reading more of your posts. :2thumbsup:

19. falconer

falconer Member

There's nothing wrong with most synthetic fertilizers, so dont become an "organic fool". The term "organic" is a marketing term when applied to food and fertilizers. Pesticides are one of the few times where choosing organic is more than a gimmick. Synthetic fertilizers are produced from rocks, water, and the air. Organic fertilizers are derived from biological sources.
    That said, when i was younger, i extracted my own nutes from banana peels, coffee grounds, and wood ashes. Always with blackstrap molasses. Today, i still use molasses, but rarely do i make my own nutes anymore.