Orange juice gives you weird dreams

Discussion in 'Dreams' started by keepthepeace88, Mar 6, 2006.

1. keepthepeace88

keepthepeace88 Member

hi a friend told me if you drink orange juice before you go to sleep you get weird dreams well i tried and im pretty sure it worked i had a very strange and psychedelic dream
    well just a hint it might have just been a coincidence
    peace

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

dill pickles work for me. i don't have orange juce made up in the house often enough to have noticed. i just happen to now though. can't always tell when just before i go to sleep is going to be, but i'll try that.

(this IS ordinary orange juce you're talking about? i mean REAL orange juce made from squeezing real oranges, as opposed to some sort of supposedly orange flavoured chemical crap? that synthetic stuff has some pretty wierd crap in it so i wouldn't be surprised by anything about it)

=^^=
    .../\...

3. trippedelia

trippedelia wow

how could it though

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the mind is a strainge thing.

as are some of the things you find in things commercialy supplied to consume as nourishment.

=^^=
    .../\...

5. meduza

meduza Member

organge juice is some pretty powerful stuff, keep drinking it, good for your health!

6. EMMAh

EMMAh Senior Member

I want to try this, I love having weird dreams.
    I'm always eating right before bed so my dreams are pretty much always weird.

7. White Feather

White Feather Senior Member

Chances are that the citric acid is causing your stomach to try to neutralise the acid, causing more blood to go into your stomach, thereby having less blood going to the brain, causing more dreams.

8. englandroxmysox

englandroxmysox Member

How does it do that? It is something in the oranges acid that makes it do that? I wonder.......

9. Peter Popper

Peter Popper Tripper

if i eat chinese food before bed, i get pretty weird dreams, nightmares actually(sometimes)
    its the SMG flavour enhancer they put in it, as well as all the other weird shit that goes in that type of food...

i guess these foods and drinks just contain chemicals (vitamines, nutrients) that "stimulate" the brain in those areas, more than some others...

Chances are that the citric acid is causing your stomach to try to neutralise the acid, causing more blood to go into your stomach, thereby having less blood going to the brain, causing more dreams. QUOTE

i very much doubt that, because the more blood in your brain the more active it is, and the more you can remember....
    (ginko Biloba is a memory enhancing herb, which works by increasing the blood flow into the brain, taking these at night, can help you remember your dreams... iv proven that...

10. Jezmund

Jezmund Member

its all mental

11. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

When I was young I would have stranger dreams than usual if I ate Twinkies and drank orange juice (it had to be both) before going to bed.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

that could be taken i a very zen way, as well as several others. i prefer to immagine you intended the more zen sort of context. i don't mean that to suggest anyone should have to, only that this is the way in which it comes closest to making more sense to me.

=^^=
    .../\...

13. Amikins

Amikins Member

I've found on the few occasions i've eaten pizza from pizza hut that i've had an awful nights sleep - night sweats and some pretty fucked up nightmares.

Interestingly enough a little research on the additives that Pizza Hut uses points you to 'polydimethylsiloxane' a silicone-based chemical used as a stabiliser for their cheese. Silicon or polydimethylsiloxane are not substances approved for human consumption neither is formaldehyde which is apparently a by-product when frozen silicone-sprayed pizza is subjected to heat.

The human mind, in short, is a very sensitive thing. It's little wonder that the brain would react in the form of a nightmare or crazy dream when we ply ourselves with this shit.

14. ClosingTide

ClosingTide Member

Polydimethylsiloxane was approved by the FDA in 1998, however no safety tests were ever conducted by the FDA... Can make you wonder..

15. amber:)

amber:) Member

WOW i'm going to try the orage juice thing. Weird dreams are great. Once wen i was younger my cuz and i had like a whole cup of lollies(u knwo the ones u self serve and pick ur faves) and we had like 3 sets of nightmares we were waking each other constantly in the night. it was so crazy. so if u want fucked up dreams i suggest eating heaps of lollies ecspecially sherbets. the fizzier the better :p

16. Kali _in_Oz

Kali _in_Oz World Champion Loser

I always have really lucid dreams if I eat chocolate at some stage during the day.

I very rarely eat it, not cos it gives me weird dreams though, I have weird dreams no matter what, they are just really lucid if I have eaten chocolate.

17. Neuronaut7

Neuronaut7 Member

It has nothing to do with food, at all. I have weird dreams ALL the time, no matter what I do or eat (or if I don't eat) before I go to bed. It has everything to do with what you've been thinking about during the day. In fact, eating before you go to bed detracts from sleep, it does not cause more dreams - thats ridiculous.

If you think that doing a certain thing causes weird dreams, that's a placebo effect, and whatever it is you ate doesn't cause the dreams - you do.

18. Amikins

Amikins Member

Eating before going to bed actually raises the body's metabolism and therefore increases brain activity which may cause nightmares to occur more often.

I don't think anyone said that eating before sleep causes "more dreams". the point was that particular foods can lead you to have strange dreams or nightmares.

The website http://www.mydreamvisions.com/drtypes-toxic.htm talks about 'toxic dreams' - realistic, upsetting dreams that occur when a body's cleansing system is overloaded during sleep. The theory is that nightmares are simply a signal that you went to bed in a physically toxic state. This can occur from eating refined carbohydrates (sugar, white flour), processed or junk food, additives or preservatives or eating any foods within 2 hours before going to bed (plus a variety of other reasons). Unfortunately there's no 'scientific' documentation as such to prove it.

Have a look at
    http://www.haciendapub.com/article27.html

It discusses excitotoxins such as MSG or aspartame (food additives) that react with specialized receptors in the brain in such a way as to lead to destruction of certain types of neurons. The excitotoxins act as neurotransmitters and at high concentrations can cause neurons to fire abnormally (and ultimately lead to cell death in the brain).

Now.... if we consider the fact that it's during REM sleep that brainstem neurons fire sustained bursts of impulses to excite much of the brain and we therefore dream i don't consider it too much of a long straw to conclude that food additives do, indeed, impact on our dreams.

It ain't no placebo effect baby.

19. Stroider!

Stroider! Member

Cheese. Eat cheese before you go to bed.

It causes a chemical imbalance in the brain, or something like that.

Or was that cannabis?

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the one thing in have to disaggree with is equating strainge with dissaggreable/unpleasant/'nightmares'.

other then that i'm of essentialy the same conclusion without having done quite as much detailed homework for which you are to be applauded.

=^^=
    .../\...